Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How long did your Skilled Migrant Visa take?

How long did your Skilled Migrant Visa take?

Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

gandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant future
Default How long did your Skilled Migrant Visa take?

Hi all,

I am currently starting the visa process and have submitted my EOI which should be selected.

From there i am trying to get an idea of how long to process will take. Assuming that i get a job offer, what is your experience in how long it took you to complete the process?

I am just trying to get an idea so i can plan accordingly

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did your Skilled Migrant Visa take?

you can't plan accordingly I'm afraid as everyone is individual and it depends what pops up through the process. Our timeline is in my signature but my husband was already over here on a temp work visa. check the immigration website for your offices time scales then add on a few weeks possbily
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

How long is a piece of string!!!

From EOI submission to securing the visas it will take at least 9 months I reckon, and that's assuming all goes well and Immigration don't need more info, evidence or other documents and assumes all is good with medicals and police reports.

From EOI submission to selection to prelim checking to ITA is a minimum 3 to 4 weeks then you have 4 months to submit formal application which will take that long to collate all the evidence etc, then a month to be assigned a case officer - your at 6 months already and Immigration haven't even started. Then the time needed for a case officer to pick through your application with a fine tooth comb which I'd say a minimum 2 months.
Assuming all is well you'll be at 8 months from EOI submission now. Time to arrange and conduct a telephone interview. Another couple of weeks for auditing by another case officer till you get acceptance in principle.
Finally you'll have a couple of weeks to send in passports and pay the final levy charges then a couple of weeks till the passports come back.
Approx 9.5 months BUT only if all goes to plan.
Immigration asking for more evidence by a single email will delay the application a month each time. If a medical is referred to their medical Assessors then you are in the lap of the gods.

We submitted EOI after New Year Jan 2010 and secured the residency visas August 5th so you wouldn't think that long.........., but nope you'd be wrong August 5th 2011!!!
19 months total from EOI submission.
This was due to my wife's medical being referred, the incompetence of the medical Assessors and the fight we put up to prove them wrong.

Got there in the end.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

EOI submitted and selected Feb 2012, Application submitted March 2012,
Application granted June 2012.

I think we were very lucky to have such a short process!

That said the agent we used had a theory that any applications submitted just before the end of the financial year are rushed through so they meet their processing target and before the new financial year targets start
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, see our timeline below, this was with a job offer.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Yes, I think you need to allow a year, and be prepared for the final hit of the 'migrant levy' once your visa has been issued - another payment just when you think it's all over....
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:07 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Ours took 6 months but like everyone else is saying - it varies from person to person and depends on how busy they are and what issues crop up regarding your individual application, etc, etc,
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gandeandboys
Hi all,

I am currently starting the visa process and have submitted my EOI which should be selected.

From there i am trying to get an idea of how long to process will take. Assuming that i get a job offer, what is your experience in how long it took you to complete the process?

I am just trying to get an idea so i can plan accordingly

Thanks in advance!
Have a look on my blog. Dates, times, order and costs of the whole process is under 'timeline'