Help on getting started!

Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

datliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help on getting started!

Hi everyone

We have recently made the decision to look into emigrating to NZ. I have a few basic questions which probably sound obvious but I'm just not sure where to start with it all. I know there's a points system and I've done a quick calculation to see where we'd sit. I have a couple of questions:

My husband is an IT/analyst so I think he is on the long term skills list but I don't think I am as an administrator in the NHS, however I do have a music degree. If he managed to get a job offer would I need to get one too in order to get a visa or as his wife would I automatically be granted one too?

Do we wait until he's got a job offer before we apply for the visa? How long does the visa last once it's been granted.

Also we will have to sell our house. Would it be best to wait until we had the visas accepted before putting it on the market (assuming you'd have a while to emigrate after this) as we don't want to sell it if we couldn't get a visa for some reason.

Sorry for the obvious questions but I just don't know where to start with it all, it's such a minefield!

Thanks

Liz
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on getting started!

Hi and welcome

IT positions are on the shortage lists but dependant on his points he may need to have a job offer to be selected. check out the Immigration site and points indicator Points

You would gain a visa off the back of your husbands. be mindful that you will need to show at least 12mths evidence of a partnership, a marriage certificate is not proof of a relationship. so evidence of a shared life, ie bills, bank accounts, holidays, invites etc will need to be provided.

as for how long a visa takes and how long it lasts depends solely on the type of visa and which office is dealing with it.

We had to sell our house to be able to afford the move, just meant husband was living and working in NZ and myself and the kids lived and sorted the house in the UK until it was sold.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

datliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on getting started!

Thanks for your help! We've been together for 6 years so no problem providing plenty of evidence in that sense.