Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Help - Essential skills visa or Skilled Migrant Visa??

Help - Essential skills visa or Skilled Migrant Visa??

Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Deley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - Essential skills visa or Skilled Migrant Visa??

Hi,
Would be grateful of some help, a bit confused.
My partner may be in the posistion of receiving a job offer, its not a job/occupation which is on the LTSSL OR ISSL list but is on the 'list of skilled occupations' (in part A - skill level 1 with ANZSO). With this job offer after doing the points indicator we have 110 points, so I beleive we could apply for via the Skilled Migrant Cat????

Also looked at the essential skills visa where the employer would need to prove a New Zealander could not fill the position
(as per link below)
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...entialwork.htm

Am I correct in thinking that we could apply for a visa on either of these two catagories (skilled Migrant or essential skills visa)???? If we was to go down the essential skills visa could we apply for permanet resident after????

Also does anyone know what the timescales are when applying via the skilled migrant cat. with a job offer.

To really confuse things we do have a pending application under the family sibling cat. (my sister and parents live in Christchurch).
That application was lodged in November but its a long processing time and could take 24 months. Since this application this possbile job offer has come up so now re assessing our options.

Any help or advice greatly accepted.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

dawnefoster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - Essential skills visa or Skilled Migrant Visa??

The fact that you have family already in NZ stands you in favour of living and working in NZ.
You say you have 110 points, what they do is pick out on a fort nightly basis what they require starting from 140 points and working their way down to 100 point scale. I'm a nurse and currently without a job automatically receive 100 points which qualifies me to apply so for you to have 110 in slightly better. I dont know what your partner does for a living but if he is offered a job then his points would go up to 140 meaning he/both if married would qualify for residency. But if your in a position to go over there for a long holiday then you should do so and apply within the country as its much easier and less time consuming. Your partner will also need to take the IELTS exam (general or academic depending on his job) and get an overall score of 7 depending on his job as immigration will want this, google IELTS and find a test centre near you ... and sorry you will both need to have a medical, Leeds Uni do medicals for NZ and again google NZ medicals Leeds uni,,,, and one last thing june/july go along to http://www.expo-newzealand.com/uk.aspx and they'll be able to give you planty of information but your partner will need to do the IELTS test before hand... Im currently looking to head out to NZ so regards to info iv done a fare bit of research... Hope all this helps and good luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Deley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply, the 110 points are with the job offer. Think it might be best to go for the essential skils temp visa which would be quicker.

Good luck to you
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:00 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deley
Hi,
Would be grateful of some help, a bit confused.
My partner may be in the posistion of receiving a job offer, its not a job/occupation which is on the LTSSL OR ISSL list but is on the 'list of skilled occupations' (in part A - skill level 1 with ANZSO). With this job offer after doing the points indicator we have 110 points, so I beleive we could apply for via the Skilled Migrant Cat????
You have over 100 points so you can apply via the SMC. Have a look at theHistory of Selection Points to give you an idea of how likely you are to be selected. The chances look good looking at this year's draws

Am I correct in thinking that we could apply for a visa on either of these two catagories (skilled Migrant or essential skills visa)???? If we was to go down the essential skills visa could we apply for permanet resident after????
You can apply for both at the same time. Usually people do this if the employer needs them to start work earlier as SMC applications do take longer to process. As long as you have the points you can apply for residency at any time.
Also does anyone know what the timescales are when applying via the skilled migrant cat. with a job offer.
From NZIS website:
Skilled Migrant application (with job offer)
We expect to decide your application within one to three months from the date the application is submitted.

Just to clarify a few things Dawnefoster wrote. It may be that she knows something of your personal situation [from on here or elsewhere] and that explains some of her post. If not then I think she may confuse things for you as some of it is incorrect:

How EOI's are selected is not only based on the number of points you have but also whether you have any work experience or quals in a job on the LTSSL. So someone with a lower points score may be selected before a higher score is depending on how their total is calculated.
I am not sure how she has worked out that your points would increase to 140 if your partner had a job offer. If both candidates have a job offer then the non principal candidate's job offer only scores 20 points.
Couples apply on the same EOI as long as they have lived together for more than 12m and can prove it. One is the principal candidate and the other is the non principal candidate. Marriage is not relevant though is an extra bit of relationship proof.

If either candidate was born in the UK then there is no need to sit an IELTS certificate. There is a section on the EOI to explain why you don't need to do this. Does Dawn know something of your personal situation- is this why she mentioned your partner doing the exam? Dawn says she is a nurse and they have to sit IELTS to gain registration but most applicants do not need to unless they were born outside of an English speaking country.

As for medicals, look on the NZIS website. There are plenty of panel doctors so choose one near you.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
So glad you advised on the IELTS, I was starting to look into where we could take the exam, but after reading your post I can see it would not be necessary as we are all born and bred in the UK (and not nurses).

My partners job offer would come under either 131112 'sales & marketing manager' or 225411 Sales Rep industrial products. The reason we were thinking that it might be best to apply for the 'essential skills' temp visa is because the employer wants things to happen fast and although its a sales/manager type position the company is branching out into a new sector, hence needing someone with very specific experience to take it forward (commercially and technically). Although my other half doesn't have any formal qualifications he has worked and gained the experience for over 15 years.

Are you able to advise, is it difficult for myself and our two children (age 7 & 8) to get a visa to join him if he was to initially go on a temp work visa???

I have been led to believe from immigration that if we submit a residency application (skilled migrant cat.) that we would have to decide which application to take up (we also have the family adult/sibling application pending). We are a bit grey on this area has we have heard rumours that the adult sibling route is going to be scraped in the near future and if we opt for the skilled migration option and was for some reason denied residency then the adult sibling route will not be there for us to use as a 2nd option to gain residency.

regards

Last edited by Deley; Apr 24th 2012 at 10:44 am.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:00 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deley
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
So glad you advised on the IELTS, I was starting to look into where we could take the exam, but after reading your post I can see it would not be necessary as we are all born and bred in the UK (and not nurses).
In your relevant sections you tick 'otherwise meet the minimum standard' and click 'next'. The next page will be a blank box where you write something about your mastery of the English language. Something like 'I was born in the UK, English is my first language and all my education up to degree level has been in English'. I did think that Dawn's post was wrong to insist on the requirement for IELTS.
Are you able to advise, is it difficult for myself and our two children (age 7 & 8) to get a visa to join him if he was to initially go on a temp work visa???
You would apply for a temporary visa [open work visa]: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm Not sure about the children-others should be able to advise on that.
I have been led to believe from immigration that if we submit a residency application (skilled migrant cat.) that we would have to decide which application to take up (we also have the family adult/sibling application pending). We are a bit grey on this area has we have heard rumours that the adult sibling route is going to be scraped in the near future and if we opt for the skilled migration option and was for some reason denied residency then the adult sibling route will not be there for us to use as a 2nd option to gain residency.
That makes sense if you get offered residency from both then you have to take up one or the other. I don't think it means that you can apply for residency via only one route at a time, I can't see any reason why this would be so.