heathcare in NZ

Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:20 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default heathcare in NZ

HI ALL

I am in the process in immigrating and the one thing i have not looked into is how the heath system in NZ.
For all those who have made the jump some info would be good for the rest of us in the process of moving.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: heathcare in NZ

Originally Posted by simon-nall
HI ALL

I am in the process in immigrating and the one thing i have not looked into is how the heath system in NZ.
For all those who have made the jump some info would be good for the rest of us in the process of moving.
If you have an accident and you require medical attention you will be covered by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC). The ACC will generally cover your hospitalisation and any after care you may need such as physiotherapy. In certain circumstances they will even provide you with 80% of your income if you find yourself unable to go to work.

For other stuff, uh...medical insurance would be a good idea. Dentistry isn't covered unless your tooth is knocked out in a rugby match or something (ACC again).
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:09 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
If you have an accident and you require medical attention you will be covered by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC). The ACC will generally cover your hospitalisation and any after care you may need such as physiotherapy. In certain circumstances they will even provide you with 80% of your income if you find yourself unable to go to work.

For other stuff, uh...medical insurance would be a good idea. Dentistry isn't covered unless your tooth is knocked out in a rugby match or something (ACC again).
ACC is this work the same as the uk nat health were care is at the point when needed. also going to the doc's is thing like this at the point of care, or is it like aus were you pay your "$" the if you need referral then its payed for.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:11 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I can't compare ACC with NHS or the Aussie system as I'm not British nor Australian nor do I have experience with either system.

ACC is deducted from your pay packet at about 1.6%. ACC will cover your medical care in case of an accident. Generally you won't be billed for services rendered (that was my experience when they screwed my ankle back together a couple of years ago). For many other medical services, you may well have to pay as you go (depends if it is a young child or adult being treated).