Giving birth in New Zealand on A WHV

Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Sophia Bells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving birth in New Zealand on A WHV

Just checking in to see if anyone has got any experience about arriving to New Zealand pregnant ON WORKING HOLIDAY VISA (WHV) and giving birth out there too.

Is this very complicated regarding getting a VISA for the new baby?.. will the baby be able to stay in NZ as long as the WHV lasts etc... ? Will you be able to depart NZ with baby then come back again with the BABY etc....? Is it an easy process ...etc

Any experiences shared and info much appreciated

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Dec 24th 2012 at 11:32 am. Reason: Title Change
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:37 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in New Zealand on A WHV

Originally Posted by Sophia Bells
Just checking in to see if anyone has got any experience about arriving to New Zealand pregnant ON WORKING HOLIDAY VISA (WHV) and giving birth out there too.

Is this very complicated regarding getting a VISA for the new baby?.. will the baby be able to stay in NZ as long as the WHV lasts etc... ? Will you be able to depart NZ with baby then come back again with the BABY etc....? Is it an easy process ...etc

Hi Sophia and Welcome to the forum.

I've changed the title of your thread from HWV to WHV and as it is a sort of immigration question, I've moved your thread to that section for you.

I can't answer the question for you I'm afraid but one of our knowledgeable peeps will be along I'm sure.

Just be aware that it is midnight here now and not everyone will log on on Christmas Day! So it may be a while before you get an answer.

Enjoy B.E.

Have a great Christmas!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:44 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I did find this previous post on B.E.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723338

It isn't the best news for you I'm afraid.

I think the main problem is that you will not have free access to medical facilities.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you :0 very kind of you to have a look for me.

i'm wondering what became of it.... whether she went ahead with the pregnancy in NZ ...and how it all worked out but this system isn't enabling me to send her a private message.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:56 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

You will be "allowed" to give birth in NZ on WHV but you will have to cover the medical costs yourself. I would imagine this would be very expensive considering the amount of care it takes to deliver a baby. Especially so if you (god forbid) run into problems and require a c-section or your baby needs further care once born if it isn't straight forward. This is likely to run into thousands of dollars once you've included scans, antenatal, doctors appointments etc and then the actual birth.

To be honest having a baby on a WHV is not the best thing to do and seeing as you know you are already pregnant I would stay put...
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:58 am
221b Baker Street

i'm wondering what became of it.... whether she went ahead with the pregnancy in NZ ...and how it all worked out but this system isn't enabling me to send her a private message.
Have a look here......http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

It does say, not to bring children with you.....I wonder.

Failing that, you could contact the London Office by phone (in the new year I suggest) and ask them. There are contact numbers on that website.

Also, the person you wanted to PM has only ever made one post so you won't be able to contact her anyway. It seems unlikely that she will post again.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Dec 24th 2012 at 12:04 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have made 3 posts to be able to send 'private messages'
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Yes, wise choice I think perhaps I'll let this one go.

I actually already phoned the immigration people in New Zealand already but the chap wasn't able to give me any clear answers at all, so wondered if I could hear it from someone who has been there and done it themselves.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:05 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You need to have made 3 posts to be able to send 'private messages'
Thanks mike I missed that bit but as above, the poster in question posted once and hasn't been back.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can see you invalidate your WHV conditions the instant you knowingly set foot in NZ, pregnant, on a WHV. NZ doesn't take kindly to health tourism, there have been recent headline cases of deportations where this is believed to have taken place in the case of pregnancy.

You would also have some difficult decisions to make if you are required to have a chest x-ray for your medical certificate if it is required.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you cant get a WHV if your already pregnant and getting pregnant when you already have a visa invalidates it.

I can probably find out for definite when I get back to work but I can confirm that on a WHV you would have to pay for all antenatal, birth and post natal care and its not cheap, to give you an idea a straight forward midwife led normal birth with with no pain relief where I work is $2000 with each nights stay after $700/night. Thats in a primary birthing unit, birth in the hospital will cost more.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

I know as much that if you are British (i am) the cost of the actual BIRTH is paid for by the NHS- reciprocal arrangement.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:42 pm
221b Baker Street

I know as much that if you are British (i am) the cost of the actual BIRTH is paid for by the NHS- reciprocal arrangement.
This may be so but if you invalidate your visa by the pregnancy (not certain but most probable) you won't be entitled to anything.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Yep but be aware this really only means the actual birth, it doesnt cover any ante natal care, scans, bloods, any non emergency drugs in labour or any post natal care past the first 2 days.
You may also be asked to prove you can pay for the non covered parts of your care. My last caseload lady who was a non resident from the UK (Im a midwife so deal with this stuff quite often) was asked to prove available funds to the costs of the rest of her care or they would revoke her visa, around $8,000 or $9,000 if I remember rightly.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 1:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmm.

The application form for the WHV doesn't ask if one is pregnant or not. It simply states that an xray will not be required.

However, I think the application would likely fail on the grounds of not meeting the health requirements.

If the OP does not declare the pregnancy that she would be making a false statement & that would revoke her visa rights.

Originally Posted by NZIS
Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:
  • tuberculosis (TB)
  • a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to:
    • hospitalisation
    • residential care*
    • high-cost pharmaceuticals
    • high-cost disability services
Also...
Is this very complicated regarding getting a VISA for the new baby?.. will the baby be able to stay in NZ as long as the WHV lasts etc... ? Will you be able to depart NZ with baby then come back again with the BABY etc....?
I'm not sure exactly what this all means TBH. It's not very clear.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 26th 2012 at 10:04 pm. Reason: missed a word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.