Getting started

Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

techie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant futuretechie has a brilliant future
Cool Getting started

Hi everybody,

This is my first attempt at this, so please be gentle with me. Can anyone out there help me please as we seem to keep coming up against brick walls or very expensive (and probably useless) answers to our questions!

We are a family of 5 (Mum, Dad and 3 kids) wanting to go to NZ. I am a secondary teacher which is recognized as a skills shortage. My wife is a youth development worker and the kids are all at school. My daughter has cerebral palsy and is in good health, but relies on us for basic needs. My wife also has diabetes, which is very well controlled and she is presently reducing her medication.

Now maybe it's me, but I can't seem to find answers to simple questions. I have looked on so many web sites I'm dizzy - mainly because they seem to be sending me round in circles!! What I want to know is;

1. Is this whole thing possible, or are we chasing an unrealistic dream with our family circumstances?
2. Do I need a job offer to apply for a skills shortage residence?
3. Would we need to go on a temporary working visa first then 'convert' to PR?
4. If we did that what are the chances of being turfed out at the end of the temporary time? (is this a risky strategy?)
5. How long is this whole process likely to take?
6. Do we have to provide proof of liquid assets? (All of our money is tied up in property that would need to be sold.)

Well there's a few things to think about! I would really appreciate any help anyone can give on any of these points. Surly we're not the only ones with these type of 'difficulties'?

Thanks Shaun
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getting started

Hi there,

Just read your post after posting mine! Thought I would share our thoughts with you!
OH works for government over here and looked into the possibilities of transferring. After initial E-mails with NZ employers, we went over in Feb for a recce and interviews with new employer. So I would suggest you start there first. Do some research into the particular area you wish to live in, get there and have a look. We decided not to make any decisions until we got back home and got back into life here. Then decided it was too much of an opportunity to pass up. Then, once you have made the decision as a family, sound out the relatives, it helps if you have their support!

Next step is to go onto the immigration website: www.immigration.govt.nz
and see if you would have enough points. (if you are on skills shortage list with a job offer it helps). If you fulfill the basic criteria, you submit an expression of interest. It is quite an expensive process, you will need about £2500 start to finish to complete the application. (medicals, fees, etc). We started our application process at end of June and we have just been approved residence (Skilled Migrant with a Job offer). Although we decided we were going in February, we decided to wait until our house had sold before we satrted the application process, didn't want to get visas then not be able to sell house as all our money is tied up there too!

Anyway, hope this helps.

There are loads of posts on here from people in similair positions which helped us out immensley! Read and Digest! (LOL)

Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough

Ooops, sorry,

I didn't answer all your questions.

We applied for a PR visa as my OHs job is on Skilled Migrant list. I imagine if you can get a job offer you will be the same as us. We heard from friends who went out on WTR visas after 2 years that they were denied PR visas! So if you are going to go for it, might as well go the whole hog and go for residency from the start.

My OH has High blood pressure, but I think as long as it is controlled and you know about it, there are not too many problems. So I imagine your wife's condition would be similair. I could not say though what the circumstances would be for your daughter. Suggest speaking to one of the panel doctors (addresses on NZ immigration Site) or maybe someone else on the forum can help.

anyway, good luck (again!)
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by techie
Hi everybody,

This is my first attempt at this, so please be gentle with me. Can anyone out there help me please as we seem to keep coming up against brick walls or very expensive (and probably useless) answers to our questions!

We are a family of 5 (Mum, Dad and 3 kids) wanting to go to NZ. I am a secondary teacher which is recognized as a skills shortage. My wife is a youth development worker and the kids are all at school. My daughter has cerebral palsy and is in good health, but relies on us for basic needs. My wife also has diabetes, which is very well controlled and she is presently reducing her medication.
Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum. Have some 'getting started' karma ( those little blue boxes to the left)

Now maybe it's me, but I can't seem to find answers to simple questions. I have looked on so many web sites I'm dizzy - mainly because they seem to be sending me round in circles!!
Yup. It is very confusing to start with. After a while it becomes....confusing

What I want to know is;

1. Is this whole thing possible, or are we chasing an unrealistic dream with our family circumstances?
Can't be sure . No-one could be sure for you. As you will probably be aware, your application would most likely be subject to medical referrals and waivers as your wife and daughter both have medical conditions. However, nothing is written in stone. If you present good, sound supporting evidence that your wife and daughter have the acceptable standard of health and will not be a $ drain to NZ, then you have as good a chance as the next medical referral.

My personal thoughts on this ( and it is just my personal musings) would be that NZIS - Immigration - might look to see how your daughter would support herself in the future. They would certainly look to see if she would cost the NZ education system or the health service $$. I can see medical referrals and waivers ahead for you though. It may come down to how severe the CP is. That is without considering your wife's diabetes.

2. Do I need a job offer to apply for a skills shortage residence?
No. This is a points based system. If you have over the 100 points threshold, you can apply. Be aware that those applications with job offers do tend to be prioritised . Also , points mean prizes. The more points the better.

3. Would we need to go on a temporary working visa first then 'convert' to PR?
No. If you had an NZ job offer , you might want to consider a temp. work visa to get you here and working for the NZ employer . That would be separate from the PR application & would be your choice to do that.

You can't convert a temp. work visa or permit to PR.

4. If we did that what are the chances of being turfed out at the end of the temporary time? (is this a risky strategy?)
For your family, I would say this could well be risky simply because of the medical circumstances. If NZIS decided your family did not meet their health requirements , your PR application would be turned down.
Once a medical waiver has been refused , there is the residents review board I think, but after that the decision is final.

5. How long is this whole process likely to take?
EErrm How long is a piece of string. Every case is different.

6. Do we have to provide proof of liquid assets? (All of our money is tied up in property that would need to be sold.)
Nah mate. Makes stuff all difference .

Your major hurdle will be convincing NZIS that all the family meet the health requirements.