EOI without a job offer

Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

iduffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI without a job offer

Hi everyone,

I've got a question about applying for an EOI without a job offer.

Me and family (wife and 3 year old son) did a recce of NZ in June last year and loved it. We came back resolved to emigrate but I've spent the last six months dithering over whether to go for a business visa or the skilled migrant route.

So, a new year and some new resolutions to finally make a decision and get applying.

I am a 40 year old software developer. I was an employee for twelve years but have spent the last seven running my own business as a freelancer. Ideally, I'd like to continue doing the same thing after we have moved.

At first glance the Business Visa looks the way to go, but the drawbacks are:
a) It is expensive
b) You need three years funds up front which I don't have
c) I'd rather have the peace of mind for me and the family of having the PR 'up front' rather than spending 2 years worrying that we'll get kicked out at a later date.

I currently qualify for 120 points without a job offer. I don't really want a job offer as this will stifle my business. I expect to continue getting work from my UK customers after the move to NZ as I tend to do a sequence of large projects for only a handful of customers that I've created good relations with over many years.

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for points for a qualification or work experience in absolute skills shortage because my degree is in Theoretical Physics and not ICT. The extra 15 points would have been useful.

I suspect the advice will be to nevertheless get a job offer. But if so, is there a minimum length of time I need to hold the job for?
I'm not the sort of person that would feel happy to hand my notice in as soon as I get my PR but on the other hand, I don't want to feel obliged to work for someone else too long if I am missing out on opportunities with my own business.

Is there any point submitting an application without a job offer?

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: EOI without a job offer

Normally the requirement is to stay in the job 3 months from PR
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Hi we got selected & PR without a job offer on 125 points.
I too am an IT software developer and once we got here I secured a permanent job offer as that was what I was first offered. Plan to get 18 months local experience here then probably start freelance contracting again.

Not sure you have anything to loose by applying now, might be worth checking what the latest pool selection results are first.
Give it a go & good luck.
Cheers Dave
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yo can read about the latest pool selection on this thread (click the link)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iduffy
Hi everyone,

I've got a question about applying for an EOI without a job offer.

Me and family (wife and 3 year old son) did a recce of NZ in June last year and loved it. We came back resolved to emigrate but I've spent the last six months dithering over whether to go for a business visa or the skilled migrant route.

So, a new year and some new resolutions to finally make a decision and get applying.

I am a 40 year old software developer. I was an employee for twelve years but have spent the last seven running my own business as a freelancer. Ideally, I'd like to continue doing the same thing after we have moved.

At first glance the Business Visa looks the way to go, but the drawbacks are:
a) It is expensive
b) You need three years funds up front which I don't have
c) I'd rather have the peace of mind for me and the family of having the PR 'up front' rather than spending 2 years worrying that we'll get kicked out at a later date.

I currently qualify for 120 points without a job offer. I don't really want a job offer as this will stifle my business. I expect to continue getting work from my UK customers after the move to NZ as I tend to do a sequence of large projects for only a handful of customers that I've created good relations with over many years.

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for points for a qualification or work experience in absolute skills shortage because my degree is in Theoretical Physics and not ICT. The extra 15 points would have been useful.

I suspect the advice will be to nevertheless get a job offer. But if so, is there a minimum length of time I need to hold the job for?
I'm not the sort of person that would feel happy to hand my notice in as soon as I get my PR but on the other hand, I don't want to feel obliged to work for someone else too long if I am missing out on opportunities with my own business.

Is there any point submitting an application without a job offer?

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Ian
Mate, a job offer is NOT compulsory. People without job offers and 140 points get selected because of the points. The good thing about a job offer is that you don't struggle to get to NZ and can start working with an appropriate work visa while considering permanent migration.

With 4+ years of work experience in an absolute skills shortage field, you should be able to get 15 bonus work experience points. The selections I have seen always select 115+ point candidates in the EOI with 15 or so bonus work experience points and about 10 in the skills shortage qualification.

Just go for it and lodge the EOI IMO. Fill the draft EOI online and confirm your points. If they are the same as you calculated, you have a good chance of selection. It's quite affordable as well for an EOI so its not that bad while lasting upto about 6 months. Should get selected about 2-6 weeks or more. I fancy the former period though.