Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Eligibility to apply for PR - Teacher & HGV

Eligibility to apply for PR - Teacher & HGV

Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

teacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant futureteacher sam has a brilliant future
Default Eligibility to apply for PR - Teacher & HGV

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, if a job is only on the immediate skills shortages list ie Primary Teacher or HGV driver and not the long term list does this mean we can only get a work visa rather than residency?
I thought we could just do a EOI from NZ once I had got work as a teacher, but reading through some of the other posts I'm not sure now...help please my OH is looking at retraining just so we can get into the country, and stay there.
Thanks everybody
Sam
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Eligibility to apply for PR - Teacher - HGV

Hi there. Welcome to the little Nz forum.

Originally Posted by teacher sam
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, if a job is only on the immediate skills shortages list ie Primary Teacher or HGV driver and not the long term list does this mean we can only get a work visa rather than residency?
No it doesn't mean that.

An HGV driver , although being on the Immediate shortage list , is not seen as skilled so an HGV driver could not apply for PR under the skilled migrant category.

Primary teacher, however, is seen as skilled, so you could apply for PR as the principle applicant under the skilled migrant category. You would need to have your teaching quals assessed by the Teaching Council here in NZ..

You could try the points indicator to see how many points you currently come out with. As primary school teacher is just on the Immediate Shortage List & not on the Long Term Shortage List you cannot claim extra points for the occupation being in an area of absolute shortage.

If you want to try for a job offer from the UK, perhaps start with the Education Gazette

Hopefully some teachers will be along shortly to help a bit better than I can. I'm not a teacher.

Originally Posted by teacher sam

I thought we could just do a EOI from NZ once I had got work as a teacher, but reading through some of the other posts I'm not sure now...help please my OH is looking at retraining just so we can get into the country, and stay there.
Thanks everybody
Sam
You can do exactly that if you wish. Come to NZ , find work as a teacher & then apply for a temporary work permit to get you earning. You could then go on to apply for PR with you as principle applicant. You would need to have had your teaching quals assessed beforehand though.

There is a need for HGV drivers here. That is why it is on the immediate shortage list. He should be able to find work in his field once you are here. He would be apply for a temporary work permit on the back orf any work permit application you make as family. The same would apply to a PR application. He would apply under your umbrella as family.

I hope this helps to get you started a little.

edited here....

Also , you don't need to have a job to apply for PR if you have enough points to begin with. i.e. over 100.
A job offer does help though.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 28th 2008 at 12:06 am. Reason: add a bit