Dreams shattered??

Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future
Question Dreams shattered??

Hi guys,

Well we submitted the ITA paperwork last week and have been contacted by our immigration officer. All is in order apart from the fact that they have sent my daughter's medical to be further assessed . She has speech and language delay and has speech therapy (if you can call it therapy but don't get me started on that!) which our therapist says will need to continue in NZ. I really didn't think this was going to be a problem as her paediatrician has said she is developing fine and has in fact stopped seeing her. When I said to the immigration officer I was worried he said I had cause to be worried. The further assessment could go OK or we may be asked to provide further evidence that she will not be a burden to NZ. We might not be granted residency. OMG what are we going to do?

I have a job offer, the surveyor is round as as I type doing the survey for our potential buyers, OH has handed his notice in (had to give 6 months) and we are sorting our stuff ready to go. I can't believe this is happening. I can't even phone my parents for a chat as they aren't happy about our decision to move.

Anyone else had problems like this and if so how were they resolved.

Kim
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dreams shattered??

Kim

Not got any experience of this but just wanted to say big hugs. Hang in there I'm sure it'll all work out as you say the pediatrician here says your lo is developing fine!

We go for our medicals in just under two weeks and I'm dreading them incase something is wrong with us cos like you are dreams would be shattered!

Jo x
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:32 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark and kim
Hi guys,

Well we submitted the ITA paperwork last week and have been contacted by our immigration officer. All is in order apart from the fact that they have sent my daughter's medical to be further assessed . She has speech and language delay and has speech therapy (if you can call it therapy but don't get me started on that!) which our therapist says will need to continue in NZ. I really didn't think this was going to be a problem as her paediatrician has said she is developing fine and has in fact stopped seeing her. When I said to the immigration officer I was worried he said I had cause to be worried. The further assessment could go OK or we may be asked to provide further evidence that she will not be a burden to NZ. We might not be granted residency. OMG what are we going to do?

I have a job offer, the surveyor is round as as I type doing the survey for our potential buyers, OH has handed his notice in (had to give 6 months) and we are sorting our stuff ready to go. I can't believe this is happening. I can't even phone my parents for a chat as they aren't happy about our decision to move.

Kim

Oh really sorry to hear this 'hugs' to you all and hope this gets sorted out soon.
take care
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hugs and karma all round
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:30 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

Kim
I have no words of experience to buoy you i'm afraid so i'm sending karma instead ! hang in there .
ceri
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Hi guys,

Kim
Hi Kim

I'm really sorry you're going through this. From what you wrote in brackets, I suspect you're not overly impressed with the S&L therapist. If your paediatrician is happy, is there any way you can get the therapist to 'discharge' your daughter? Especially if you ask her for exercises you can do at home. (this was something we did and it worked a treat) If you feel at a later date that therapy is needed again, perhaps you could use private therapy. Not cheap I know, but a good therapist seen once every few months is better than weekly visits to someone useless and patronizing. (We've been there also)

Also, could you get a letter from your doctor to confirm that she's developing well and won't present related problems down the line.

Perhaps if your Immigration officer could present a case for you before they make a decision it will help.

Good Luck, I'll cross everything for you.

Last edited by Happy Wanderer; Jun 8th 2007 at 8:16 pm. Reason: spell check deleted a word
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:25 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kim

So sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment.

My advice to you both would be to gather as much evidence as possible from the most senior people you can find/afford to support your case.

Firstly a letter from your paediatrician, confirming that your daughter has been discharged from his care, she is developing normally for her age and he can invisage no burden on the NZ health Care system ( just make sure he is a consultant paediatrician)

You don't say how old your daughter is. Is she at school? If so is it mainstream? a letter from the head teacher may be useful too.

And finally, if as you say your therapist is 'useless' pay to have your daughter independtly assessed by someone more senior.

I know this can only be adding to your stress, but unfortunately it appears to be the most common delay on applications. You have to appreciate ( as I did!) that New Zealand are concerned with protecting their own interests, They have an aging population and would be heavily criticsed if they weren't so stringent in their process.

If you trawl back through and look for postings by Claire Hopkins - she was refused for a problem relating to her daughter, not related to your problem- she actually went through the appeal process and offered some helpful information on where to look for supporting evidence, should you have to consider that option

I really do hope that this gets resolved quickly. If you need any more help, then shout out on here. People are really very supportive in your hour of need and as I've said before there are plenty of us who have been where you are now.

Good Luck and Karma to you all
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:31 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they will look at the income you and DP will be earning so that they can see your contribution to the country outweighs the 'burden' your daughter could be (sorry to put that so bluntly).

I *think* there is a limit on the cost of burden - and if I recall correctly, its $25k per annum including hospital visits, medication, consultants, doctors and so on. Actually 25k doesnt go a long way.

But it sounds like your daughter doesnt require medication, and just a 6 monthly checkup on her progress? Perhaps you could start looking into schools in the area you are moving to, to find out what support or extra curricular they can offer your daughter, get their costing, and go armed to NZIS should they kick up a fuss.

Hope that makes sense - its late

Try not to worry yourselves just now - best wishes, Kate.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

I think everyone else has given you the info you need but I just wanted to wish you well. It's all such a stressful business anyway without extra worry & hassle. Hang in there, it'll probably be a temporary hiccup. I won't say "don't worry" cos if you're anything like me, you won't be able to stop. Thinking of you & hope that this gets resolved(positively) very soon.
Annie x
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Kim
Hi Kim
We had our medicals when we arrived in NZ hoping for work permits. Our 7 year olds medical was sent for further assessment as they found a noisey heart murmer. Several tests later and although he has a heart murmur it was deemed ok. We made sure we included a letter from the peadiatrician and the doctor.
So as was previously said get as much evidence to back up your claim. Its not a life threatening situation and is working out fine. Also if you have some equity you can say you will fund the further treatment.
If all else fails and i dont believe it will, go for the medical waiver, a nice piece of paper that waives the medical condition given to people with major problems not just speach and development.
Good Luck
Carole
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
my son had delayed speech too, although not as severe as you daughter by the sounds of it (i understand completley about the therapy, like banging your head on a brick wall!!) anyhow once here the school arranged for a therapist to come & assess him at school , the result was that he was fine & had caught up with his age group (but then i always thought that the UK system was pessimisict (sp) of his ablilities)
i know of a couple of Uk families here in NZ who had children wih speech problems both worse than my boy, & they've had no trouble getting here , or getting help.
i think that NZIS are probably just checking things out as a matter of course, & would hope that you'll be fine , but fingers crossed for you
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:20 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
Hi there,
my son had delayed speech too, although not as severe as you daughter by the sounds of it (i understand completley about the therapy, like banging your head on a brick wall!!) anyhow once here the school arranged for a therapist to come & assess him at school , the result was that he was fine & had caught up with his age group (but then i always thought that the UK system was pessimisict (sp) of his ablilities)
i know of a couple of Uk families here in NZ who had children wih speech problems both worse than my boy, & they've had no trouble getting here , or getting help.
i think that NZIS are probably just checking things out as a matter of course, & would hope that you'll be fine , but fingers crossed for you

Sounds quite optimistic to me hun!! Fingers crossed that they're just being cautious!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the words of help and support - greatly appreciated. I am still worried sick today. My daughter is 5 years old and attends reception in a mainstream school. She has being progressing with her reading and writing and we have been pleased with her. At the moment she only has 3/4 appointments per year with her therapist, each one lasting 30-45 minutes. These appointments are really just assessments of her progress rather than therapy. I don't feel she is a burden to our health service at all but obviously I don't know how NZ see this.

I have looked into private therapy in NZ. I luckily have a friend in Wellington who has already given me the contact details of a private speech therapist in Wellington who charges 50 NZD per session. All along me and OH have said we would send her to private school if she needed i (so she wouldn't be a burden on the school system) So we will wait to see what the medical assessors say and then arm ourselves with the evidence we need. So I hope given all this we get through.

Please keep everything crossed for us. I'll keep you posted,

Kim
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the words of help and support - greatly appreciated. I am still worried sick today. My daughter is 5 years old and attends reception in a mainstream school. She has being progressing with her reading and writing and we have been pleased with her. At the moment she only has 3/4 appointments per year with her therapist, each one lasting 30-45 minutes. These appointments are really just assessments of her progress rather than therapy. I don't feel she is a burden to our health service at all but obviously I don't know how NZ see this.

I have looked into private therapy in NZ. I luckily have a friend in Wellington who has already given me the contact details of a private speech therapist in Wellington who charges 50 NZD per session. All along me and OH have said we would send her to private school if she needed i (so she wouldn't be a burden on the school system) So we will wait to see what the medical assessors say and then arm ourselves with the evidence we need. So I hope given all this we get through.

Please keep everything crossed for us. I'll keep you posted,

Kim
Hi Kim, what sort of "delay" are we talking about? My OH is a specialist paediatric SLT working in NZ (for the Ministry of Education) and we could give you an idea of what to expect if you PM me. KR, LL
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that - I have sent a pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.