Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Do NZIS really need passports when you submit an ITA?

Do NZIS really need passports when you submit an ITA?

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough
Default Do NZIS really need passports when you submit an ITA?

Trial by ordeal....I think witches in the middle ages had it easier, compared to how draw out this immigration lark is proving to be.

So only a 4 month wait for NZQA to do an assessment, only 4 months from our EOI being selected to getting an ITA. Now another potential 3 month delay.

In the ITA pack it says that passports or copies must be included, and they must be valid for 12 months from the date the visa are issued. Well ours run out in 8 months. Because they get used a lot we were going to renew them in Jan 08 as it is the first month they are not needed, and it seemed unlikely that NZIS would be giving us approval before May 08 at the earliest.

Since our EOI was selected I had been thinking get an ITA in 3 months take a month to submit (Nov) 4 months NZIS sitting on it (Mar) then a query on Medical with additional proof required, say 2 months (May 08).

If I have to wait until I have a renewed my passport it will be Feb before I can even submit my ITA. So the big question, do you think I can submit my ITA without the passports, or with a certified copy of my soon to lapse one?

Despairing of Wales.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:21 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Do NZIS really need passports when you submit an ITA?

Originally Posted by backdraftuk
Trial by ordeal....I think witches in the middle ages had it easier, compared to how draw out this immigration lark is proving to be.

So only a 4 month wait for NZQA to do an assessment, only 4 months from our EOI being selected to getting an ITA. Now another potential 3 month delay.

In the ITA pack it says that passports or copies must be included, and they must be valid for 12 months from the date the visa are issued. Well ours run out in 8 months. Because they get used a lot we were going to renew them in Jan 08 as it is the first month they are not needed, and it seemed unlikely that NZIS would be giving us approval before May 08 at the earliest.

Since our EOI was selected I had been thinking get an ITA in 3 months take a month to submit (Nov) 4 months NZIS sitting on it (Mar) then a query on Medical with additional proof required, say 2 months (May 08).

If I have to wait until I have a renewed my passport it will be Feb before I can even submit my ITA. So the big question, do you think I can submit my ITA without the passports, or with a certified copy of my soon to lapse one?

Despairing of Wales.
Hi, My understanding is that if you renew your passport before it expires they transfer up 9 months extra onto your new one.
ie a ten year passport would become a ten year + nine months passport.

Dont know if that helps??
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:43 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do NZIS really need passports when you submit an ITA?

Well if you want it bad enough you jump through the hoops that they put before you. Those of us that did are here now but if there was no hoops I think this Utopia we think we found would be over run by now and not such a utopia.

Talk to your case officer they can advise better.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

You can submit an ITA without passports. If your ITA is accepted and you given permanent residency, you will be required to submit your passport within a specified time frame. I don't recall what the time frame is. However, you should submit your passport application now so that it might be renewed.

There are lots of strings to sort out, this is one of them. I actually had to have miy passport sent back so I could renew it and then send it back in. I was using a Canadian passport and the turn around time, at the time of my renewal, was only a couple of weeks.

Anyway, remain calm and just treat everything as a to do item on a check list. Check the things off and treat them dispassionately. We aren't going anywhere here and we will all be here for when you get here. Look at it like we did. More time to save a few extra currency units before leaving.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Backdraft.

You can submit the ITA without your passports. A certified copy of the passport details would be advisable as this helps NZIS . You need to include a letter explaining that the passport has gone for renewal . This should be fine. NZIS will process your ITA and , if successful , apply the PR visa retrospectively once they receive the renewed passport.

you may wish to consider a Fast Track application to renew the passport.

Urgent applications

If you need your passport within two weeks you should call our 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0870 521 0410 (see terms and conditions) to make an appointment at one of our offices. We can offer a Fast Track one week service or a Premium same-day service. More about urgent applications.
That way you should have the thing back before Christmas and in case your ITA is processed super fast.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, I was sort of joking about the delays as we are in no great rush (thank goodness) as we don't want to leave the UK before August 08. The nice profit share bonus from work gets paid then, so we would miss out if we left before then.

I need my passport most weeks between now and January so I just wanted to know if I could sent in the ITA without them, which is what we are going to do.

As I said we are in no rush to go but would like to know as soon as possible if we can actually go, and waiting another 3 months would be a bit of a pain.