Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Do I need Imigration Advisor & Looking for Work on a Tourist Visa

Do I need Imigration Advisor & Looking for Work on a Tourist Visa

Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

cyatheac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need Imigration Advisor & Looking for Work on a Tourist Visa

HI there:

British Botany grad (2009) seeking NZ permanent residency and work...

Q1: Do I need an IA to complete my NZ EOI? I'm a British National temporarily working for the India Forestry Department and 100's km's
from the nearest city so...

Q2: If yes, any recommendations for an online advisor?

Also:

Q3: Can anybody confirm my understanding that I can look for work on a NZ tourist visa and then apply for a work permit after getting the job?

Q4: Should I submit my EOI (at 105 points but without a job offer) now
then attempt to update it if I receive a job offer after arriving in NZ in June?

Many thanks for your time and trouble,

Rob
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:47 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need Imigration Advisor & Looking for Work on a Tourist Visa

Originally Posted by cyatheac
HI there:

British Botany grad (2009) seeking NZ permanent residency and work...

Q1: Do I need an IA to complete my NZ EOI? I'm a British National temporarily working for the India Forestry Department and 100's km's
from the nearest city so...

Also:

Q3: Can anybody confirm my understanding that I can look for work on a NZ tourist visa and then apply for a work permit after getting the job?

then attempt to update it if I receive a job offer after arriving in NZ in June?

Many thanks for your time and trouble,

Rob
Q1 - No it is easy to do yourself
Q2 - See above
Q3 - It's is ok to look for work once in NZ, but entering NZ with the sole purpose to find work is grey area and should be attempted with caution.
Q4 - Apply for a work permit first once you have your job offer, it's quick, then spend time getting your EOI together.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cyatheac
Q1: Do I need an IA to complete my NZ EOI?
No. Do it yourself when the time comes.

N?A

Q3: Can anybody confirm my understanding that I can look for work on a NZ tourist visa and then apply for a work permit after getting the job
A visitors visa is for visiting and not for looking for work. You won't be the first to be offered a job whilst visiting NZ though.

No. It won't be picked from the pool.

If you gain a job offer, apply for a temporary work permit to start you working. From there go onto make yuor application.

Note:

1 - Check your qualifications are recognised.
2 - Check your occupation is seen as skilled
3 - Check if your occupation is in shortage in NZ.

Any probs with the above, come back to us.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add in case you don't know. Your EOI only stays in the pool for 6months and if not selected in that time then it will be withdrawn and you lose the submission fee.
As Bevs says you will not get selected with 105pts [have a look at the 'history of selection points' on the NZIS website to see what we mean] so submitting an EOI is very likely to be a waste of money unless you get a job within 6m - you can alter the EOI then. You could always fill in an EOI, save it and then submit when/if you get a job offer. Or if you really want to submit before then then leave it until as late as possible.

As for immigration advisors- do it yourself!