Confused and clueless!

Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough
Question Confused and clueless!

Hello - I hope that someone can help!
We have just started to investigate moving to NZ to try and make a better life and it appears we have a bit of a mountain to climb and not sure the best way to proceed.
We are a family of 4 (43, 38, 9 and baby). My husband has had various middle management roles over the past 10 years or so but no qualifications.
We spoke to a migration agent who said that they had a recruitment agency in NZ that could almost guarantee us a job if we applied through them and they had a 99% success rate. Sounds too good to be true...
Is my husband likely to get a job/visa with no qualifications and was the agent stretching the truth? Any help appreciated.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:27 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused and clueless!

Hi and welcome to BE.

Can I hazard a wild guess that you'd be shelling out quite a bit of cash to this agent?

The vast majority of people don't use an agent to go to NZ. Best thing to do would be for your hubby to do a recce and get a job offer. Then he can get a work visa, and therefore you can too, and the kids will get student visas. Do by all means check the NZIS website, but I don't think the Skilled Migrant route would be open to him. If your husband can get a job offer of NZ$45K or more, then you can get work visas and go the Work To Residence route.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that - very helpful.
I thought that an agent might be able to help secure a job offer but you're right vv expensive.
How likely is it to land a job offer in a 2 week visit? and once you have the job offer does it take long to sort out the visa? Do you need police checks, meds etc.
Thanks a mill
Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

We did a recce in March, 11 interviews in 6 days. Already had police checks done. Got job offers. Chose Christchurch. Left UK in May. We used an immigration consultant to help out with the visas 1,500 GBP as we simply did not understand the process, but to get interviews/job offers we used various recruitment agencies who arranged interviews etc once they had our recce details. The recruitment agencies do not charge you a fee; they get paid a commission from the company that employs you.

If you haven't already done so, please feel free to read our blog, which explains all, I hope! Good luck and best wishes, Mandie xx
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - all useful stuff - think hubby will do a reccy in April with a view to moving over in July. Got loads of research to do but looks like can get a lot of info right here.