Catch 22?

Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:43 am
Just Joined

bojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nice
Default Catch 22?

Hello,

Just before christmas I started my long journey to head south. I am a Paramedic with University qualifications and have completed an EOI with no job offer and 110 points which is currently in the pool. Paramedic being on the Long Term Skills Shortage List

I have made contact with the ambulance services who are reluctant to proceed with applications without the applicant holding a valid work permit/residency.

must advise that under NZ immigration law we are only able to offer a position to an overseas applicant when we can demonstrate that there is no suitable NZ applicant, unless the applicant has a working visa/residency permit. If there were no suitable local applicants for the position and it had to be readvertised, we would then be able to look at overseas applicants.

I have gone round and round with migration agents, eligibility assessments and the like and the reply I get is that its a catch 22 or its a chicken and an egg that one...

So the question is I need a job offer to get a work permit and need a work permit to get a job offer??

Does anyone know how to solve this situation and would the new Silver Fern visa be a possible solution.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Catch 22?

Welcome to the site - when we applied for our PR (still waiting for it to be approved) I had a job offer, unfortunately job offer on hold due to cut backs. I informed our C/O who said as I still have 110 points without a job offer it would still be ok ( now just have to have a 20min telephone interview with immigration) I am a nurse and going down the skilled migrant route. hope this helps good luck with you process
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

bojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nice

Thanks for that,

Just seems to be one hurdle after another.

Glad to hear that all is going well with your application
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bojingles
Thanks for that,

Just seems to be one hurdle after another.

Glad to hear that all is going well with your application
Hi Bojingles just to give you some peace of mind we had about the same amount of points as you and got PR without either of us having a job offer, so it is possible. I managed to get a job just before we left the UK and OH has just started a new job and we have only been here for 3 months.

Good Luck
Jx

Last edited by Jo-Chris; Jan 15th 2010 at 5:55 am. Reason: duh... spelling mistake