Can i have 2 visa's at once?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:24 am
Lee N Liz

raiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura about
Default Can i have 2 visa's at once?

Hi Peeps

We have our full visa for Australia and would like to know if we can apply for citizenship to New Zealand?

I know my 136 visa enables me to stay in NZ, but to live and work?

Any help would be great

o btw Dont ask! lol
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can i have 2 visa's at once?

If you have Australian PR , then you are entitled to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely

Originally Posted by nz embassy
Travelling to New Zealand

Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live and work in New Zealand indefinitely. Upon arrival, Australian citizens are exempted from the requirement to hold a permit and Australian permanent residents are granted a residence permit.
from HERE

It would seem that the following applies to obtaining NZ citizenship:-

Originally Posted by NZ embassy in oz
Citizenship by Grant
A minimum of three years residence in New Zealand is required and certain criteria must be met, including satisfactory character and language references, to become a New Zealand citizen by grant.
However, may I just say that for those granted with PR after 2005 , the timeline for applying for citizenship has been five years not three.

from HERE

Citizenship applications are processed by the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs.

From the dept of Internal Affairs.

Residence
To be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship you must have permanent residence (or be an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
Permanent Residence on or after 21 April 2005

If you applied for and received permanent residence after 21 April 2005 you are required to fulfil the following requirements. You are required to have:

1. Been present in New Zealand for a total of at least 1,350 days during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
2. Been present in New Zealand for a total of at least 240 days in each of those 5 years, with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by the New Zealand Immigration Service; and
3. Fully met any conditions imposed by the New Zealand Immigration Service in regard to your Permanent Resident Permit.

Please Note: If you can show that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a reduction, you may be considered as long as you have a minimum presence in New Zealand of 450 days with a Permanent Resident Permit in the 20 months before you make your application.

So, in summary. It would seem that you are perfectly entitled to live and work in NZ indefinitely under your Australian Permanent Residency.

To apply for citizenship, I believe that you would have to follow the same rules as the rest of us in that you must be resident in NZ for 5 years per the above quoted criteria.

Please note that I am no expert on this at all. The person that would know all the ins and outs would be JAJ I feel or perhaps one of the Ozzy agents.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 14th 2008 at 10:23 pm. Reason: tweak it a bit
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:13 pm
Lee N Liz

raiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can i have 2 visa's at once?

Great news so far and many thanks for your reply... karma sent!

Originally Posted by BEVS here
If you have Australian PR , then you are entitled to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely

from HERE

It would seem that the following applies to obtaining NZ citizenship:-

However, may I just say that for those granted with PR after 2005 , the timeline for applying for citizenship has been five years not three.

from HERE

Citizenship applications are processed by the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs.

From the dept of Internal Affairs.

So, in summary. It would seem that you are perfectly entitled to live and work in NZ indefinitely under your Australian Permanent Residency.

To apply for citizenship, I believe that you would have to follow the same rules as the rest of us in that you must be resident in NZ for 5 years per the above quoted criteria.

Please note that I am no expert on this at all. The person that would know all the ins and outs would be JAJ I feel or perhaps one of the Ozzy agents.