Australia PR

Old Jul 13th 2018, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

jonsmile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia PR

Hi. Sometime ago I asked about using an Australian PR visa to come to NZ and the answer was positive.

I.e. yes you can come to live and work in NZ on an Australian PR visa.

Question now is - is this still possible (using Australia PR) following the recent set of changes around immigration that have been brought in. I cannot see anything removed but wanted to make sure!

thanks
Old Jul 13th 2018, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia PR

Originally Posted by jonsmile
Hi. Sometime ago I asked about using an Australian PR visa to come to NZ and the answer was positive.

I.e. yes you can come to live and work in NZ on an Australian PR visa.

Question now is - is this still possible (using Australia PR) following the recent set of changes around immigration that have been brought in. I cannot see anything removed but wanted to make sure!

thanks
Yes. No change.
If you appear at the Immigration border within NZ with Aus PR and you satisfy the health and character criteria and you declare you wish to remain in NZ permanently then you will be given NZ RV (Resident Visa) with immediate travel condition expiry. This visa allows you to live study and work in NZ permanently BUT if you leave, it would immediately expire and the only way back in would be to use your Aus PR again. You would not be able to continue to do this as eventually your Aus PR will expire (5 years away I think) so the only way to remain in NZ but be allowed to come and go would be to live and work here in NZ on the RV for 2 years and then apply for NZ PR as once you hold that there are no travel conditions.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’re what, another year, from citizenship? Might be advisable to wait.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You’re what, another year, from citizenship? Might be advisable to wait.
Having Australian Citizenship instead of Australian PR doesn't make any difference when migrating to NZ.
A person entering with either Aus status will be treated the same way and will be given NZ RV on entry with the same conditions (assuming they meet the satisfactory character, health and other criteria).
Holding the Aus PR or Aus citizenship just means you don't have to pre-apply for an NZ visa as those statuses allow you to travel to NZ, however, holders of those statuses (like everyone else) still needs an NZ stamped/stickered or electronic visa in their passport to enter NZ.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Having Australian Citizenship instead of Australian PR doesn't make any difference when migrating to NZ.
A person entering with either Aus status will be treated the same way and will be given NZ RV on entry with the same conditions (assuming they meet the satisfactory character, health and other criteria).
Holding the Aus PR or Aus citizenship just means you don't have to pre-apply for an NZ visa as those statuses allow you to travel to NZ, however, holders of those statuses (like everyone else) still needs an NZ stamped/stickered or electronic visa in their passport to enter NZ.
I think BiP's point was that the OP would be wise to get Australia citizenship so they don't lose the right to live in either country if they leave NZ. If the travel portion of the Australian PR expires and they have no compelling ties to the country then they could find themselves back at the having to apply for PR all over again. With citizenship, if they OP decided they no longer wanted to live in NZ, or they had to leave NZ they have the option of returning to Australia.