Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Anyone offer advice, please - first thoughts

Anyone offer advice, please - first thoughts

Old Aug 28th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

LyndaW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone offer advice, please - first thoughts

Hello, I am a single retired British woman currently living in France. I am now considering moving & am doing research online regarding emigration to New Zealand. However, I keep coming unstuck when trying to find out whether I would be eligible for emigration because [a] I live in France; & [b] I am not seeking employment. I have tried without success to speak to someone on the telephone so wonder if anyone can help, please? All the questionnaires I have found regarding eligibility so far are aimed at Brits living in Britain.

This idea is in its infancy & I have yet to research the different areas of the two islands making up New Zealand as to where would be best for me to live. I would like, as here, a rural setting with land & access to good walking as I have a large dog who would come with me. I also have a load of cats, a horse, a donkey & 30+ chooks but I guess a lot of these will have to be left behind if I do decide that NZ is the next place for me to live.

If anyone can offer any help, I would be interested to hear from them.

LyndaW
Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone offer advice, please - first thoughts

Where you live is irelevant to be honest. New Zealand has a points system and you would need several criteria to have enough points to be pulled from the pool of applicants. Go to the NZ immigration site to check how many points you have. for details click on this

However, perhaps I could be cheeky and ask how old you are, because if you are over 55 and have no family centred in New Zealand, your chances are just about zero I'm afraid

Jan
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply & for the link to the points system - 36 pages to trawl through so I will do that today.

I am 61 & no, I don't have any family in New Zealand. I know that where I live is irrelevant but I made that point simply because I am resident in France & as such do not have an address in the UK any more. Because of this you immediately get stuck on the pages where you are asked for an address & so can't get any further. I was speaking to someone last night who knows Brits who live in NZ & she too thought that I would not have much chance of gaining entry. Where next.....................??

If anyone else has any comments, I would be pleased to read them.

Lynda
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
There is an upper age limit of 55 and over that you need to be pretty much in demand in the Skills list, have a job offer, and to have your future employer plea a special case.

I fear that NZ is not for you. Their immigration is all about up-skilling NZ, not - in the nicest possible way - retiring to it, sorry.

Jan
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Hi,
There is an upper age limit of 55 and over that you need to be pretty much in demand in the Skills list, have a job offer, and to have your future employer plea a special case.

I fear that NZ is not for you. Their immigration is all about up-skilling NZ, not - in the nicest possible way - retiring to it, sorry.

Jan
I was going to add to the comments about the 55 age limit. As has been said that age is pretty much it unless you have a really important job to fill that is greatly needed by NZ or the other alternative is that you are stinking rich. There is a compromise for you though. As an EU resident I believe that you have every year the right to visit NZ as a tourist for 6 months. Obviously you would not be able to avail yourself to ANY benefits of NZ re social welfare and you would need a health ins for the duration and most definitely a return ticket from whence you came. My mates mum from the UK comes over for 6 months every year. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

You could also check out the LTBV where you could acquire a business to work at to get yourself over. There are two options depending on what kind of money you have but even the long one would have you work your business for at least three years to gain PR, always supposing that NZIS thinks you're doing a good job, then you could move on and do whatever you want. Check out the particulars on their website and then ask any questions here as there are a few who have gone this route, your age doesn't matter.

Kristina
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your comments, though they don't say what I wanted them to say!! Guess that NZ is not going to be welcoming me with open arms......... I have written to the High Commission in the UK with a very brief outline of my situation but from what you have said here I imagine that the answer will be in the negative. I have been retired for over 11 years so don't feel like going back to work now! I am really disappointed that this door is closed to me & I can't do the 6 months here, 6 months there as I have animals, so it's either full-time or nothing for me. If I hear anything that might be of interest, I will post it here.

Lynda
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Hi Lynda, hope this help in some way;

New Zealand does not have an official permanent retirement immigration category. You may nevertheless still be able to retire to New Zealand provided you:

• Qualify for the temporary retirement category.

• Qualify for permanent residence in one of the country's normal immigration categories.

Temporary Retirement Category
This is a two year visitor visa which, importantly, is renewable. This visa is not for everyone, however. The main requirement is money. This begins with the NZ$2,600 application fee. Then to be approved under the Temporary Retirement Category you must:

• be aged 66 years or over

• invest NZ$0.75 million in New Zealand for two years, in an acceptable investment

• demonstrate ownership of NZ$0.5 million of maintenance funds and an annual income of NZ$60,000 at the time you apply

• meet standard health and character requirements

• hold and maintain comprehensive travel and/or health insurance for the duration of your stay

Successful applicants will be issued with a two year multiple entry visitor's visa/permit which allows them to stay for two years, and travel in and out of New Zealand during that time.

You can re-apply for another visitor's permit/visa under this category if you:

• continue to meet all the requirements above; and

• can demonstrate that you have maintained your travel and/or health insurance and your investment funds in an acceptable investment during the two year duration of your stay.

You may include your partner in your application; however dependent children cannot be included.

An acceptable investment is defined as investment that:

1. is in either one or more of the following:

• bonds issued by the New Zealand government or local authorities, or

• bonds issued by New Zealand firms traded on the New Zealand Debt Securities Market (NZDX), or

• bonds issued by New Zealand firms with at least a BBB- or equivalent rating from internationally recognised credit rating agencies (for example, Standard and Poor's), or

• equity in New Zealand firms (public or private), including managed funds

and:

2. is capable of a commercial return under normal circumstances and has the potential to contribute to New Zealand's economy, and

3. is invested in New Zealand in New Zealand currency, and

4. has the potential to contribute to New Zealand's economy, and

5. is invested in lawful enterprises or managed funds that comply with all relevant laws in force in New Zealand, and

6. is not for the personal use of the applicant(s), and

7. is not (directly or indirectly) invested in residential property or deposit taking financial institutions (eg banks or finance companies).

Application forms and guides for the Temporary Retirement Category are available for download, or from Immigration New Zealand branches.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...es/default.htm

Good luck!

TN
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

At the moment, Lynda is not old enough for this.... but we all will be one day (although not rich enough)
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Toon Nut

Wow, thanks for all that but, as Jan says, I am not yet old enough to qualify!! Still waiting to hear from the High Commission in London but I suspect that I will not be successful. I spoke to someone today who has a friend who was in a similar situation to me & who gained entry to NZ so perhaps he knows something we don't!!

Lynda
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
an EU resident I believe that you have every year the right to visit NZ as a tourist for 6 months.
Genesis, how long do you have to leave the country for? I'm assuming you can't just "hop owa" to Ozz then hop back again for another 6 months?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Genesis, how long do you have to leave the country for? I'm assuming you can't just "hop owa" to Ozz then hop back again for another 6 months?
AFAIK you have to be out the same amount of time as you are in i.e. 6 months in NZ then 6 months somewhere else.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Pretty much what Cappucino has said. The actual wording from the fountain of all knowledge which is the NZIS website:
Arriving at the border visa-free
If you are a visa-free visitor you apply for a permit at the border by filling in your arrival card. You will be allowed to stay for three months (or six months if from the United Kingdom) on this visit, and no more than six months in any 12-month period. So, we will look at what date your three-month visit (or six-month visit) will end (eg 1 July 2009), and count back 12 months from there (eg 1 July 2008). We then make sure that in that 12-month period (eg 1 July 2008 – 1 July 2009) you will not be spending more than six months in New Zealand.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

If you want space, countryside, room for all your animals, no taxes, good climate why not think about Costa Rica? They wleocme retired people with open arms
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LyndaW
Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply & for the link to the points system - 36 pages to trawl through so I will do that today.

I am 61 & no, I don't have any family in New Zealand. I know that where I live is irrelevant but I made that point simply because I am resident in France & as such do not have an address in the UK any more. Because of this you immediately get stuck on the pages where you are asked for an address & so can't get any further. I was speaking to someone last night who knows Brits who live in NZ & she too thought that I would not have much chance of gaining entry. Where next.....................??

If anyone else has any comments, I would be pleased to read them.

Lynda
I'm not sure where you are looking TBH. The official NZIS website doesn't ask for an address UK based or otherwise.

Trying not to be blunt - but I will be do you have business experience and do you have loads of money ?

Please read HERE abut the Investor Category Requirements for those under 65.

The basics
You (the principal applicant) must be aged 65 or younger, and have at least three years’ business experience, as well as meeting the Investor criteria summarised below.
Investment and settlement funds and/or assets

The investment funds and/or assets you nominate must be equivalent to at least NZ$1.5 million, though you may nominate more, depending on the points claimed in your EOI. In addition, you need to own settlement funds and/or assets of at least NZ$1 million. In your residence application, you will need to provide evidence showing that your investment and settlement funds and/or assets are owned by you or jointly by you and your partner and/or dependent children.

You will also need to be able to provide evidence showing that your intended investment funds:
  • are unencumbered, ie not subject to any mortgage, lien, charge and/or encumbrance (whether equitable or otherwise) or any other creditor claims
  • have been earned or acquired legally
  • are transferable through the banking system (we will not be able to approve your application if you are unable to transfer funds to New Zealand through the banking system).
After we give you approval in principle, you will need to provide verifiable documents to show that the funds you transfer to New Zealand came from the funds and/or assets that you nominate. You will need to place your investment funds in an acceptable investment(s) in New Zealand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.