British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice for telephone inerview please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-telephone-inerview-please-652272/)

mc5449 Feb 15th 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Advice for telephone inerview please!

Hey count me in tooooooooooooooooooo !! :)

that should really help.

Pia

karenwicks Feb 23rd 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8327759)
am i too late?

I had a phone interview yesterday, the only 'difficult' questions were about what rate of pay i thought i would be on... i am a teacher so there is a chart laying it out. luckily i had looked it up recently anyway...

the other things were pretty straightforward - if you want a blow by blow account, let me know!

Jacqui
xxx

Hi Jacqui,
I too am a teacher, and awaiting contact from our case officer for telephone interview, so would really appreciate any details that you think may help!
Many thanks,
Karen

mudblood21 Feb 23rd 2010 11:14 am

anything to help - it is a scary time :D

if you get a job offer you don't have to get the interview. I got a job offer monday night, and the interview was monday lunchtime! it never rains, and then it pours!

I have Megan Derby who seems totally lovely. she tried to put me at ease, told me it was very informal. i had to remind her that it might be informal, but it would decide the rest of my of my life, so I was a bit nervous!

it was in three sections-
Employment prospects
Familiarity and preparedness
Linkages and Support

so in the first she asked me how i thought the recession had affected my trade and what chance i thought i had of getting a job
i was able to give her some back up plans - i have had a few different jobs, and i tried to convince her that i would find something!
i had to give her what i expected my wage to be, and where i got that info from.

second bit
general questions about the cost of living etc and what i knew about price of food, accommodation, etc. had i been to NZ before, had i travelled, where did i stay, what did i do.
I had been over on a fact finding mission and asked everyone who would talk to me what advice they could give to a prospective Kiwi - and i think that showed i had done online and first person research.
they are kind of asking if you can make a useful contribution to NZ - if you have any record of voluntary work, get it in there !
i also said that i knew the cost of living was higher and in what ways

I was also able to say that i got through serious life changes before.. ie nursing my husband through cancer and coping afterward, and that i felt that i could pretty much manage anything after that.

third bit
did i know anyone in NZ ? i quoted this website and all the support and meet ups that are available on here. i also have friends of friends, and some people i only know a bit who are in NZ. she asked me where they lived.
have i ever moved before? what challenges did i face and how did i overcome them
what challenges will i find in moving to NZ and how will i overcome them.
i said i knew i would be lonely and that i would be out joining clubs and societies . I had researched a few classes that i could go to in order to keep up my hobbies, so i told her about them.

you get a chance to ask any questions, and also to add anything that you feel would make you look like a useful addition.

hope this helps. looking back it was a really friendly and supportive interview, just a formaility, but i was pretty worried at the time!

GOOD LUCK
expats will look after you -

let me know how you get on !:fingerscrossed:

simonsi Feb 23rd 2010 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8309443)
We cant get permanent residence straight away as OH needs to register with the electrical board over there but cant until he is employed in NZ... catch 22.

Ouch that is difficult! Fortunately OH´s registration as an Anaesthetic Technician IS possible before working..... wonder why the different approach:confused:

mudblood21 Feb 23rd 2010 11:39 am

that's daft - but I can't think of who could help, if you have already asked the association and immi NZ- there doesn't seem to be anyone left to ask!

karenwicks Feb 23rd 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8367497)
anything to help - it is a scary time :D

if you get a job offer you don't have to get the interview. I got a job offer monday night, and the interview was monday lunchtime! it never rains, and then it pours!

I have Megan Derby who seems totally lovely. she tried to put me at ease, told me it was very informal. i had to remind her that it might be informal, but it would decide the rest of my of my life, so I was a bit nervous!

it was in three sections-
Employment prospects
Familiarity and preparedness
Linkages and Support

so in the first she asked me how i thought the recession had affected my trade and what chance i thought i had of getting a job
i was able to give her some back up plans - i have had a few different jobs, and i tried to convince her that i would find something!
i had to give her what i expected my wage to be, and where i got that info from.

second bit
general questions about the cost of living etc and what i knew about price of food, accommodation, etc. had i been to NZ before, had i travelled, where did i stay, what did i do.
I had been over on a fact finding mission and asked everyone who would talk to me what advice they could give to a prospective Kiwi - and i think that showed i had done online and first person research.
they are kind of asking if you can make a useful contribution to NZ - if you have any record of voluntary work, get it in there !
i also said that i knew the cost of living was higher and in what ways

I was also able to say that i got through serious life changes before.. ie nursing my husband through cancer and coping afterward, and that i felt that i could pretty much manage anything after that.

third bit
did i know anyone in NZ ? i quoted this website and all the support and meet ups that are available on here. i also have friends of friends, and some people i only know a bit who are in NZ. she asked me where they lived.
have i ever moved before? what challenges did i face and how did i overcome them
what challenges will i find in moving to NZ and how will i overcome them.
i said i knew i would be lonely and that i would be out joining clubs and societies . I had researched a few classes that i could go to in order to keep up my hobbies, so i told her about them.

you get a chance to ask any questions, and also to add anything that you feel would make you look like a useful addition.

hope this helps. looking back it was a really friendly and supportive interview, just a formaility, but i was pretty worried at the time!

GOOD LUCK
expats will look after you -

let me know how you get on !:fingerscrossed:

Hi again Jacqui,
Thanks so much for the details of your interview. I too have Megan Derbie- she has seemed very efficient so far so I hope I don't get too nervous on the day! Your comments on the interview have helped to put me at ease though, so I will let you know when we hear about a date.
So, have you had your decision now that you have your job offer and have had the interview? The process is such a rollercoaster ride- and a lesson in patience!
Have you found it easy to secure a teaching job from this end, as I have had no joy really despite applying for quite a few positions?
Thanks again,
Karen

killercat Feb 23rd 2010 8:10 pm

Thanx mudplug you are a star.

alchris Feb 24th 2010 3:29 pm

Thankyou Mudblood. we have our interview on Friday morning, hubby did it last time (WTR given but couldnt sell house applied again) but this time they want to speak to me aswell so a little nervous. Have been writing down pointers for myself as I know I will go to piecies. :unsure: so a up to date list is most useful

mudblood21 Feb 24th 2010 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by karenwicks (Post 8367729)
Hi again Jacqui,
Thanks so much for the details of your interview. I too have Megan Derbie- she has seemed very efficient so far so I hope I don't get too nervous on the day! Your comments on the interview have helped to put me at ease though, so I will let you know when we hear about a date.
So, have you had your decision now that you have your job offer and have had the interview? The process is such a rollercoaster ride- and a lesson in patience!
Have you found it easy to secure a teaching job from this end, as I have had no joy really despite applying for quite a few positions?
Thanks again,
Karen

I was with education personnel, Melanie. She assured me that she has always been able to place teaches from the UK. It takes a while, but i have a place now. Have you tried them?
good luck with the interview . Hang on the rollercoaster, kid!

MarcAndHelen Mar 13th 2010 10:59 am

This is all really useful, thanks to everyone.

Me and my husband are due to arrange our interview with our CO, I am the primary applicant but admittedly my husband has been doing most of the visa work upto now, including most of the research - he's more tuned in than I am, I am a teacher so obviously my time is pretty limited! I think if it came to a choice, we both agreed we would prefer it if he did the interview with me sat in the background. Not sure if there will be a problem with him not being the primary applicant, most of the points gained are from me.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Thank you

Helen :)

mudblood21 Mar 13th 2010 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by alchris (Post 8371348)
Thankyou Mudblood. we have our interview on Friday morning, hubby did it last time (WTR given but couldnt sell house applied again) but this time they want to speak to me aswell so a little nervous. Have been writing down pointers for myself as I know I will go to piecies. :unsure: so a up to date list is most useful

how did it go?

elaine99 Mar 20th 2010 6:10 am

Originally Posted by killercat (Post 8344928)
Hey mudplug can i jump on that one too please, thats if my case officer ever decides to reply to my emails lol
Many thanx

Well done flowerpot your almost at the end of your journey x heres hoping the rest of us hear something soon x

Does everyone have a phone interview or only those seeking employment in NZ? I'm on a Parent visa so will be retiring.

elaine99 Mar 20th 2010 6:11 am

Originally Posted by killercat (Post 8344928)
Hey mudplug can i jump on that one too please, thats if my case officer ever decides to reply to my emails lol
Many thanx

Well done flowerpot your almost at the end of your journey x heres hoping the rest of us hear something soon x

Is the phone interview just for those seeking employment? I'm on a parent visa.

mudblood21 Mar 20th 2010 10:16 am

Would not see why you would get one on a parent visa --- mine was a skilled migrant visa and you don't get the phone interview if you already have a job.

I got my job offer within 8 hours of my phone interview :huh:

There might be a parent visa phone interview, but I don't see why!

Although it is worrying at the time, as soon as you are half way through you realise it is a friendly formality, and nothing to worry about.

elaine99 Mar 20th 2010 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8434198)
Would not see why you would get one on a parent visa --- mine was a skilled migrant visa and you don't get the phone interview if you already have a job.

I got my job offer within 8 hours of my phone interview :huh:

There might be a parent visa phone interview, but I don't see why!

Although it is worrying at the time, as soon as you are half way through you realise it is a friendly formality, and nothing to worry about.

I suppose the only reason they may interview on a parent visa would be to ensure that you are aware of health costs or to see that you will have enough family support or in general to see that your retirement income would be suffieient after buying a house..