British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Advice for telephone inerview please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-telephone-inerview-please-652272/)

Flower Pot Jan 31st 2010 6:03 pm

Advice for telephone interview please!

Hi all,

So we have our telephone interview soon, have done a lot of research as to the types of questions they ask and found some useful threads on here, so think we are sorted in that respect.

Presuming all goes well and we get our WTR/PR visa, when we arrive in NZ we plan to hire a camper van and travel the north & south island for a month to take a little hol and suss the place out.

Are we best saying this in the interview or not? :confused:

Don't know whether it will stand in our favour that we are gaining more knowledge about NZ or whether they would prefer it that we tried to start work immediately?

Thanks! :D

Persephone Jan 31st 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Advice for telephone inerview please!

Congratulations on nearly getting here! The interview is not that bad and as you've said you've done some preparation then you should be OK:thumbup:

I can't see why it should make any difference to the outcome of your interview if you say you're going to have a little holiday beforehand.
They will probably ask what you plan to do for accommodation when you arrive in NZ so depending on what your plans are then you may need to mention it. You can always have a holiday and apply for jobs at the same time;)
If you do mention it maybe stress how it's to suss out NZ, prepare some waffle on how you want to make sure you settle in the right area!

Lots of luck
Sue:D

Cadibel Feb 1st 2010 6:05 am

Re: Advice for telephone interview please!

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8298837)
Hi all,

So we have our telephone interview soon, have done a lot of research as to the types of questions they ask and found some useful threads on here, so think we are sorted in that respect.

Presuming all goes well and we get our WTR/PR visa, when we arrive in NZ we plan to hire a camper van and travel the north & south island for a month to take a little hol and suss the place out.

Are we best saying this in the interview or not? :confused:

Don't know whether it will stand in our favour that we are gaining more knowledge about NZ or whether they would prefer it that we tried to start work immediately?

Thanks! :D

I guess it depends on whether or not your job is linked to a particular location;)

I found telephone interviews easier in some respects as you could have all your notes laid out in front of you - no eed to panic about forgetting stuff due to nerves - and as well as a glass of water for your throat you could also have a glass of vino:p

Good luck for next week:fingerscrossed:

donnisons Feb 1st 2010 10:49 am

Hi Flowerpot

We had our telephone interview this morning (well my OH did and I must say he did an excellent job - very proud of him!).

We also would like to travel round NZ first before we decide where we want to settle. My husband did mention this in the interview and it didn't seem to make a difference (well I don't think it did - time will tell - I'll keep you posted!)

We did the same research as you and questions were pretty much around what others have said on here. Don't know if you have children or not, but the case officer did ask if we had researched the NZ education system and if we thought our son would fit in ok. As husband is hoping to get job as teacher we had research the NZ education system in regard to a job for him, but it was more related to our son's settlement.

Must say our case officer has been absolutely fantastic all the way through so far. Overall interview was very painless (easy for me to say as it was the hubby who had it!). Good luck with yours, if there is anything else you want to know just let me know.

Mudplug Feb 1st 2010 12:16 pm

Hi thought this might help, during the interview the c/o will be writing what you have said down, if your not used to telephone interviews this can allow long pauses in the conversation, thus making there interviewee nervous and if your nerves get the better of you, you might find yourself waffling to fill the awkward silence.
This is where it is easy to say something which you might wish you hadnt, stay positive answer the questions with confidence, be honest & dont waffle to fill the gaps.
Best of luck

Flower Pot Feb 3rd 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for all your helpful info and tips peeps :) It seemed to go really well, OH done a sterling job whilst I listened in the other room (I wasn't allowed in the same room as it made him nervous)!

We cant get permanent residence straight away as OH needs to register with the electrical board over there but cant until he is employed in NZ... catch 22.

So our 2 options according to the CO are WTR or decline :confused: and so the waiting game begins again.

CO will try to get our decision to us by the weekend or early next week... everyone please :fingerscrossed: for us... :blink:

shelloid Feb 3rd 2010 8:28 pm

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::f ingerscrossed:

really hope to hear good news from you soon!

We've been told we won't get PR either as I need to register with Pharmacy Council but they won't let me register until we have visas.....so I understand the frustration of it.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 7th 2010 8:18 am

:fingerscrossed: for you getting good news very soon chuck. I bet your ears were burning at approx 3am on Sat morning. Your Mum & I were talking about you :sneaky:;). She's missing her baby girl :wub:

Have emailed my friend ;):fingerscrossed:

Lee Lee Feb 7th 2010 8:57 am

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: Hope it all goes well for you, best of luck :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

mudblood21 Feb 9th 2010 9:48 pm

am i too late?

I had a phone interview yesterday, the only 'difficult' questions were about what rate of pay i thought i would be on... i am a teacher so there is a chart laying it out. luckily i had looked it up recently anyway...

the other things were pretty straightforward - if you want a blow by blow account, let me know!

Jacqui
xxx

mudblood21 Feb 9th 2010 9:53 pm

oops, sorry flower pot

read the posts in the wrong order

congratulations!:thumbsup:

LukeandJo Feb 15th 2010 9:54 am

We could do with a blow by blow account, all being well it will be the next hoop we have to jump through.

mudblood21 Feb 15th 2010 10:58 am

hey luke and jo

bit lengthy = so i sent it as a Private message

good luck
Jacqui:thumbup:

shelloid Feb 15th 2010 11:07 am

hey mudblood, can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy and paste of that PM too!! ;)

I should be hearing back from my case officer this week with an interview date :fingerscrossed:

killercat Feb 15th 2010 9:42 pm

Hey mudplug can i jump on that one too please, thats if my case officer ever decides to reply to my emails lol
Many thanx

Well done flowerpot your almost at the end of your journey x heres hoping the rest of us hear something soon x