British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   advice needed :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/advice-needed-490743/)

newzealandplease Oct 31st 2007 8:20 am

advice needed :)

Currently my EOI as a skilled migrant has been selected from the pool (end of August). In Sept I went over to NZ and secured a job due to start early next year (probably January).

I'm going through an agency (I know, I know!) as I hadn't heard of this site before deciding to apply. I have had a copy of the job offer sent to NZIS in London about 3 weeks ago. I spoke to them last week and they said my EOI was on the priority list with job offer and verification would be complete 'soon'. I have 135 points based on my relevent degree and 6+ years work experience. The job offer (in a skills shortage area and complementary to my degree + experience) I think give me another 50 points?

I've not had medicals done as I'm advised not to until I get my ITA, nor the police checks. I have written to the Data Protection office for inland revenue to get some evidence of my previous employment. House not on the market until I know the whole family (wife + kids) are Ok to go. Tomorrow is November and I'm getting twitchy over the whole think happening in time!! The medicals are the think that really worries me in the process - the great unknown!

Should I be starting to think of applying for a working permit (how long do they usually take) as I don't want to miss out on the job, they have been waiting since July already!

While the house sells does anyone have any tips on getting short term credit available? The house sale is financing the whole thing, managed to get a payment break on the mortgage so at least shouldn't end up paying rent in NZ + a mortgage in the UK.

Any help/advice helpfull!

P2L Oct 31st 2007 8:50 am

Re: advice needed :)

Originally Posted by newzealandplease (Post 5492186)
Currently my EOI as a skilled migrant has been selected from the pool (end of August). In Sept I went over to NZ and secured a job due to start early next year (probably January).

I'm going through an agency (I know, I know!) as I hadn't heard of this site before deciding to apply. I have had a copy of the job offer sent to NZIS in London about 3 weeks ago. I spoke to them last week and they said my EOI was on the priority list with job offer and verification would be complete 'soon'. I have 135 points based on my relevent degree and 6+ years work experience. The job offer (in a skills shortage area and complementary to my degree + experience) I think give me another 50 points?

I've not had medicals done as I'm advised not to until I get my ITA, nor the police checks. I have written to the Data Protection office for inland revenue to get some evidence of my previous employment. House not on the market until I know the whole family (wife + kids) are Ok to go. Tomorrow is November and I'm getting twitchy over the whole think happening in time!! The medicals are the think that really worries me in the process - the great unknown!

Should I be starting to think of applying for a working permit (how long do they usually take) as I don't want to miss out on the job, they have been waiting since July already!

While the house sells does anyone have any tips on getting short term credit available? The house sale is financing the whole thing, managed to get a payment break on the mortgage so at least shouldn't end up paying rent in NZ + a mortgage in the UK.

Any help/advice helpfull!

Patience is a virtue my friend ;) still plenty of time for things to happen.

In the meantime, can I suggest that you DO apply for your police checks as they take 40 days to come through

HTH :)

sarahw Nov 2nd 2007 4:26 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5492267)

In the meantime, can I suggest that you DO apply for your police checks as they take 40 days to come through

HTH :)

Agree - at least the police checks don't cost too much either. Medicals are the ones you need to save up for :ohmy:

newzealandplease Nov 2nd 2007 8:18 am

thanks for the help guys.

going to send off for the police checks today.

cheers

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 4th 2007 12:50 am

I agree about the police checks too - get them underway asap.

Don't stress about the job - if you have a written offer, then just come out anyway and you'll get a work permit and visa from immigration the same day.

You can then let the ITA wheels rumble around safe in the knowledge that you are working and getting settled here in NZ rather than kicking your heels and getting frustrated in the UK.

A big fat 'GOOD LUCK' to you!

Maz Nov 4th 2007 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 5507264)
Don't stress about the job - if you have a written offer, then just come out anyway and you'll get a work permit and visa from immigration the same day.

Actually... regular work permits can take up to two months right now (Wellington branch). I pulled as many strings as I could to get mine in 2 weeks and 2 days.

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 4th 2007 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5507304)
Actually... regular work permits can take up to two months right now (Wellington branch). I pulled as many strings as I could to get mine in 2 weeks and 2 days.

Fair do's - best ignore my comments on this one. May need one myself soon so will do little research for here in ChCh.

Nicely done on the string pulling Maz :) :thumbup:

newzealandplease Nov 6th 2007 7:51 am

Do you think its worth starting a working visa application now as a safeguard?