Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting out of the UK to New Zealand please

Advice on getting out of the UK to New Zealand please

Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:38 pm
runorman

Default Advice on getting out of the UK to New Zealand please

Hi,

I have not done too much research as yet into immigrating to New Zealand, but I stumbled onto this web site today and it looked very interesting and I thought it might be a good place to start? I just decided into moving to NZ this week and started asking question everywhere!

My situation is as follows:
Plumber with 3 years working experience
Qualified with an NVQ level 2 Plumbing in the UK
Have 3 other plumbing related tickets
Just under 40 years of age & single
I also have a Clothing Production Management Diploma (3 years) completed1991
Was self employed from 1992 until 1998
Employed 19 staff & 1 supervisor (not Clothing! Landscaping Services and events organising)

Been told the following:
Not enough working experience
NVQ level 2 Plumbing is not enough
BUT....
Also, told it is enough for a general plumber which is on a long term shortage list
Need to have my skills assessed by someone?
That a job offer is the easest route into NZ?
Need to apply for points if I wanted to make an application?

I'm thinking:
Try get a job offer?
Maybe, go over to NZ for a few weeks and approach 'all and sundry' for work?
What if I get an offer when there, what would be my first step be?
If nothing comes of a NZ trip? whats another option?
If I get enough points as a plumber? can I still get knocked back if my NVQ level 2 is not enough?

I think thats it for the time? Any help, advice and especially job offers will be most appreciated!

Thanks
Robert

Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on getting out of the UK to New Zealand please

we have met friends since coming over here,1 of thyem is a plumber,his wife has PR so she has managed to sponsor him...

he got a job at auckland airport as plumber,but they are now saying they want him to go back to college for 4 years to do city and guilds,they won't let him work on his own he has to be supervised,thats with 22 years experience in uk:curse:

my oh has put the feelers out for him in the hospital he works in and they are crying out for plumbers over here,he can basically walk out of 1 job into another,i just don't know if they will all be requiring him to do the city and guilds...this may be something you will need to look into..

but definitely in auckland area plumbers are in short demand,hope this helps......jacky
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:18 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Robert,

BEVShere is the expert on plumber related immigration matters. Hopefully she should be along later to give you the lowdown on requirements as far as educational work experience and necessary qualifications as well as registration details.
'm thinking:
Try get a job offer?
You can come here as a visitor and look for work. If you are offered work you can apply for a temporary work permit. Work up to one year doesn't require medicals or police clearances, but if you have a longer offer of employment (over twelve months) you will need the meds and cop shop clearance.
Remember, it's OK to look for work while on a visitor permit, but you cannot legally work until you are issued a work permit.

Good luck.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by garryhg
we have met friends since coming over here,1 of thyem is a plumber,his wife has PR so she has managed to sponsor him...

he got a job at auckland airport as plumber,but they are now saying they want him to go back to college for 4 years to do city and guilds,they won't let him work on his own he has to be supervised,thats with 22 years experience in uk:curse:

my oh has put the feelers out for him in the hospital he works in and they are crying out for plumbers over here,he can basically walk out of 1 job into another,i just don't know if they will all be requiring him to do the city and guilds...this may be something you will need to look into..

but definitely in auckland area plumbers are in short demand,hope this helps......jacky
Obviously I am very interested in this Jacky.

What UK quals does your friend have ?

From what you say, your friend is working under the PGDB Limited Licence and as you rightly say all his work must be directly supervised for two years. After that, if he is still on a Limited Licence then his work will still be checked and signed off by an NZ registered plumber. This is the licence for apprentices, labourers and new plumber migrants who have not sat and passed the PGDB registration exam.

If the PGDB are suggesting he does a 4 year apprenticeship, then this suggests that the PGDB did not give him a positive assessment of his overseas qualifications. Nightmare for him !
What they want him to gain if he is in NZ, should not be C&G but National Certificate.
A plumber in NZ can only become recognised as fully qualified and registered if he gains the National Certificate and a pass in the PGDB registration exams.

Any C&G he passed would require the PGDB to assess them before they would allow him to sit their registration exams. Until such times , he remains on the limited licence.
If he is on a limited licence then he must work alongside a registered plumber.

Yours friend could apply to be assessed for prior learning. There is a form he would fill in and he would probably also have to go for a practical assessment too. If he is interested in this , then I will find the form for you.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

chasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant future

hi mate just a quick thought try australia better money and lifestyle
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by runorman
Hi,

I have not done too much research as yet into immigrating to New Zealand, but I stumbled onto this web site today and it looked very interesting and I thought it might be a good place to start? I just decided into moving to NZ this week and started asking question everywhere!
Well, well. What have we here? I have just answered this I think - twice , but I will do so again.

My situation is as follows:
Plumber with 3 years working experience
Qualified with an NVQ level 2 Plumbing in the UK
Have 3 other plumbing related tickets
Just under 40 years of age & single
I also have a Clothing Production Management Diploma (3 years) completed1991
Was self employed from 1992 until 1998
Employed 19 staff & 1 supervisor (not Clothing! Landscaping Services and events organising)

Been told the following:
Not enough working experience
NVQ level 2 Plumbing is not enough
BUT....
Also, told it is enough for a general plumber which is on a long term shortage list
Need to have my skills assessed by someone?
That a job offer is the easest route into NZ?
Need to apply for points if I wanted to make an application?
This is about plumbing.

Plumber is on the Long Term Shortage List. That means fully qualified plumber .
NZIS set a standard for what is deemed to be a properly and fully qualified overseas plumber.
That standard is that any overseas plumber must be of the same level as the NZ National Certificate.
In the NZIS list of acceptable qualifications for skilled trade plumbers you will see that they state they require C&G to advanced level. For an NVQ this means a level 3.

The phrase you use of general plumber is misleading. There is no such thing as general plumber either in the UK or here in NZ.
An NVQ2 will give you a good amount of plumbing experience and training. If you want to be fully qualified per NVQ , then you should have the NVQ3. This means you will be a fully certified UK plumber. i.e. fully qualified.

In New Zealand , you are either a registered plumber or you are not. To be registered you need to be National Certificate standard plus pass the PGDB registration exams.

The people that decide whether the overseas plumber is of NZ National Certificate standard or not is the PGDB. They assess all overseas qualifications and work experience . NZIS look to the PGDB and the PGDB assessment when ascertaining whether the overseas plumber is skilled enough.

Yes. A job offer will give more points if you are applying for Permanent Residency under the Skilled Migrant Category.
If you have enough points without needing points for a UK qualification then you could be picked from the EOI pool. HOWEVER, when it comes to the ITA and PR , NZIS will still want to see that you are a skilled plumber and that you have NZ registration.
In order to prove that , you would need to send to NZIS an assessment from the PGDB which states you would be eligible to sit the PGDB registration exams.

If you want to claim points for plumbing trade qualification then you must send in the PGDB assessment to show you are eligible to sit the PGDB registration exams.

It is a requirement that any overseas plumber be able to uplift PGDB registration. One cannot do that unless the PGDB deem the overseas plumber as being equivalent to the NZ National Certificate level.
To my knowledge this is NVQ3 level. Although please do check with the PGDB to make sure.

I'm thinking:
Try get a job offer?
If nothing comes of a NZ trip? whats another option?
If I get enough points as a plumber? can I still get knocked back if my NVQ level 2 is not enough?
Yes. Absolutely. You will be knocked back if the NVQ2 is not enough and you don't have anything from the PGDB.

I know of one English plumber who has come unstuck with an NVQ2 . He cannot gain an NZ registration as the PGDB say he is not of the standard. They suggest he do an apprenticeship here. He cannot get PR as an apprentice and he cannot afford the study fees as an international student.
NZIS state he is not qualified enough per their requirements.

Still, you never know do you. One persons experience may not be anothers.

There are new SMC rules which will come into effect February 2008. These rules are to bring NZ more into line with Australian rules.It means that those with relevant work experience can have this assessed towards being a skilled migrant. Whether or not the PGDB will alter their criteria I do not know. Plumbing comes under Health and Safety here, so I doubt it somehow.
Both countries regulate the plumbing standards through ANZRA. It's strict. I cannot see the PGDB allowing those without formal qualifications to become registered in any way & it is registration that a migrant plumber needs to be able to gain.

NZIS will still require the applicant to be able to gain the PGDB registration, so the PGDB assessment will remain all important.

I think thats it for the time? Any help, advice and especially job offers will be most appreciated!

Thanks
Robert
You are welcome and we need a little chat methinks.