Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Young family moving to Canada from UK

Young family moving to Canada from UK

Old Sep 17th 2021, 9:10 am
Just Joined

SophieRen26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Young family moving to Canada from UK

After any advice please on moving to canada from the UK - myself, my husband and our 2 children are looking into the idea of moving to Canada in the next 1-2 years. We have looked into the EE entry route however I think we would qualify for the federal trades program which I believe they are not pulling candidates from that pool at the moment due to covid? The other opti9on we had considered was my husband getting a job offer with LMIA and us coming as dependants and then looking at PR at a later date. His trade seems to be a desired one as he works in the construction industry. Does anyone have any info or advice on taking this route? for reference i am 29, he is 33 and our kids are under 3.

thanks in advance!
Old Sep 17th 2021, 9:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family moving to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by SophieRen26
After any advice please on moving to canada from the UK - myself, my husband and our 2 children are looking into the idea of moving to Canada in the next 1-2 years. We have looked into the EE entry route however I think we would qualify for the federal trades program which I believe they are not pulling candidates from that pool at the moment due to covid? The other opti9on we had considered was my husband getting a job offer with LMIA and us coming as dependants and then looking at PR at a later date. His trade seems to be a desired one as he works in the construction industry. Does anyone have any info or advice on taking this route? for reference i am 29, he is 33 and our kids are under 3.

thanks in advance!
Hi, welcome to BE.

You're correct that they're not inviting FST (or FSW) applicants at the moment, but I'm sure that will change fairly soon. Personally, if you have a family, I'd recommend you go down the PR route if eligible. It's far more secure rather than looking at PR at a later date and trying to find a job offer/LMIA/TWP isn't likely to be much quicker anyway.

What's his CRS score and what's his NOC code?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

You're correct that they're not inviting FST (or FSW) applicants at the moment, but I'm sure that will change fairly soon. Personally, if you have a family, I'd recommend you go down the PR route if eligible. It's far more secure rather than looking at PR at a later date and trying to find a job offer/LMIA/TWP isn't likely to be much quicker anyway.

What's his CRS score and what's his NOC code?
hi thanks for your reply! his NOC code is 2251 - i wasnt too sure on the CRS score as we have not taken any language tests yet but neither of us have a university degree or have worked in canada/have family there so worried we may not score high enough anyway... we thought if we went down the LMIA route we could then potentially apply via the CEC option.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

ah i have just calculated his CRS score and it comes back as 370
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

ah i have just calculated his CRS score and it comes back as 370
OK, so the good news is that's high enough for FST, as it has a much lower points threshold than FSW apps. The bad news is that his NOC isn't eligible for the FST program - it's only for trades i.e. electricians, plumbers, etc.

So are you sure on his NOC, what is his job?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

oh that is good news! I think i had been looking at the threshold for the FSW only. his job is a window/doorinstaller but i was struggling to find what that fit under
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

oh that is good news! I think i had been looking at the threshold for the FSW only. his job is a window/doorinstaller but i was struggling to find what that fit under
Ah, ok. 2251 is for architectural technologists so definitely not right.

How about this NOC, any good? https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&MLV=4&CLV=4
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

oh gosh not sure where i got that from then! haha - yes 7441 looks right
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok. Then unfortunately that’s not eligible for the FST program either I’m afraid, it’s a Skill Level C job so not eligible for the EE program.

What do you do and what is your CRS score? Any particular province you want to move to?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

ah okay i didnt realise he would not qualify.. i am a recruiter, i have just done my CRS but had to guesstimate language so did a high score for english and a mid score for french and my CRS is 471
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

just had another look through the NOC list and actually my husband's job better sits under Glazier 7292 which fortunately is in category B!
Old Sep 17th 2021, 11:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

just had another look through the NOC list and actually my husband's job better sits under Glazier 7292 which fortunately is in category B!
Umm... 7292 'glazing' isn't the same as installing windows and doors...
"Glaziers cut, fit, install and replace glass" .(i.e. without a frame) so do be careful to check the lead statement and the 'main duties' - which he would require to show proof of doing at least half.

Is he a supervisor, by any chance? https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...16&CLV=4&MLV=4 - 7205 would give a 'B'

ah okay i didnt realise he would not qualify.. i am a recruiter, i have just done my CRS but had to guesstimate language so did a high score for english and a mid score for french and my CRS is 471
Unless you have A level French, you won't score that high for it. Could you give a breakdown of your score?
Old Sep 18th 2021, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your reply sorry for the confusion over his role! He has worked as a Glazier in a past role so is skilled to do that work however his current role is doing installations but he does hold a supervisor role so that is great that sits in category B. I had a look on the Ontario Trade College website to see if he can obtain an exemption certificate for the specific qualification.

Regarding French I have to GCSE level french so maybe a mid score was ambitious but here is a breakdown of the score for myself and then for my husband. Just to note i think my application would fall under FSW and his FST.

Husband score:

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 80
  • Level of education = 28
  • Official Languages = 140
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 12
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 248

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 6
  • First Official Languages = 20
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 26

Skill transferability factors

Education (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 0
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 0

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 50

Additional points (to a maximum of 600 points)

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 50

Subtotal Additional points = 50
Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 374

My score:

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 100
  • Level of education = 84
  • Official Languages = 140
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 12
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 324

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 2
  • First Official Languages = 20
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 22

Skill transferability factors

Education (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 75

Additional points (to a maximum of 600 points)

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 50

Subtotal Additional points = 50
Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 471
Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

'Basic' French is about A Level standard, if you've only got GCSE French it would take quite a while to get it up to the level where you'd get any points at it normally.

If you'll both be taking IELTS and getting your ECA's anyway to maximise your points, personally I'd both apply and then see what happens. There's no cost to enter the pool so you can just see who gets selected and invited to apply first (fingers crossed). If your husband can qualify under NOC 7205 (i.e. can prove he does the duties daily), then the FST program would be an option after all as that's an eligible NOC code.

Not sure what you mean by 'an exemption certificate'? He'd need his provincial certification to be able to apply under the FST program (or a job offer).