Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

are you allowed to holiday in canada while awaiting your application to go through?

are you allowed to holiday in canada while awaiting your application to go through?

Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are you allowed to holiday in canada while awaiting your application to go through?

so - it's so far clear that you have to apply for permanent residency OUTSIDE canada. so ok - i apply in england, fine. now - i'm hearing that there are people waiting FOUR years for their application to be processed. what are you actually ALLOWED to do with regards canada? can you go for a 6 month holiday? what about those who apply as self employed - they're asking you to prove that you have enough funds to settle. well - of course - let's say that at the time of application you DO have more than enough funds, obviously i'm assuming that you better make sure that those funds are still completely available if and when they do approve your application.

i guess if you're rich then of course you can easily put by a large sum of money and just leave it. but what happens if you can't?

it's looking like more and more - the only remotely SANE way to actually gain permanent residency in canada is through the marriage channel. is this really true?

hmmm.....what an odd country - i have to say i didn't do my homework too well, thinking that the queen's head is on their banknotes would somehow make it a little easier, i've had an easier time gaining entry into japan.

is hiring a lawyer really the big advantage it's made out to be? obviously - i'm assuming that we're talking about a good laywer for the sake of argument.

what are the actual practical differences a lawyer would really make as opposed to handling the application yourself? again - assuming that completing paperwork correctly isn't a problem. what are the possible advantages that you couldn't have if u just applied yourself?

thank you,

michael
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:00 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: are you allowed to holiday in canada while awaiting your application to go through?

I think you will find that the PR process should take no longer than 24 months for a UK citizen, so the Queen's head on the bank notes do count for something.

Yes you can come to Canada and stay for 6 months on a visitors visa, however you will not be allowed to work. You could come on Study Permits and pay for education here and if you did an MBA or equivalent then you will get a 3 year Permit.

Hiring a lawyer will help you sort out which documents you need to send in to CHC and will make sure that your application is complete, however they cannot speed up the process once your application has reached CHC.

I personally don't think Canadian Immigration is odd in the slightest.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: are you allowed to holiday in canada while awaiting your application to go through?

tiaribbon, you're right -i posted this thread a while back - it's been a few hours and this online community here has patiently been schooling me in a few things. plus i got to speak with a person from CIC which was helpful too.

ignorance isn't always bliss, but i'm getting to learn how things run slowly.

still, appreciate the polite replies to my often dumb questions

michael
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:10 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mich1s

still, appreciate the polite replies to my often dumb questions

michael
Don't worry, we have all been at the beginning of this long process and the questions appear quicker than the answers and it can become confusing, so no worries.