Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

yet another arranged employment question

yet another arranged employment question

Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default yet another arranged employment question

I'm gathering as much facts as I possibly can to help me and a possible employer.

I am in the performing arts business as supporting staff. Marketing, production managing, Press liaison, sales, management. When I started 20 odd years ago, there was no formal training for this business.

There is a company in GTA that wants me there. They are expanding and by the looks of it the plans are going from as "self employed invoice them per project" to "full time". The general manager has known me for over 20 years.

How would they go about to apply for an LMO for arranged employment so I can apply for PR from outside Canada?

Is it the same thing, they have to advertise 3 months and so on or would putting a package together explaining that my precense would be of assistance to the company expansion and help them hire more people from within Canada. I have international contacts this company so desperatly want and need and this business is operated on who you know, just as many other businesses are.

They're next expansion phase is in 3-4 months. I know the timeline on the first two so kicking in to action early next year, would probably be a good idea.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:50 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: yet another arranged employment question

Not a chance for LMO if it is not a full time employment to start with.

And yes, they must advertise job for at least 3 months nationally and clearly indicate in the ad terms of employment (mainly salary) being within average to above average for the same position in same area. Then they must prove that despite extensive advertising and recruiting effort they cannot find a Canadian for the job (or to train for the job).
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Not a chance for LMO if it is not a full time employment to start with.

And yes, they must advertise job for at least 3 months nationally and clearly indicate in the ad terms of employment (mainly salary) being within average to above average for the same position in same area. Then they must prove that despite extensive advertising and recruiting effort they cannot find a Canadian for the job (or to train for the job).
Ok. I wasn't asking for LMO. I was asking for AEO. Arranged Employment Opinion. I was just too lazy to write the "opinion", plus I was wondering if LMO was needed for AEO. Just worded it badly, I see.

However - I believe I found the information on CIC where it said that an LMO was not needed for an AEO but an AEO would not be sufficient for a TWP. An AEO can be used for applying as PR under the Skilled Worker route and would speed up the process.

An employer does not need to advertise for x months/days for an AEO application/approval. An employer will have to wait until the future employee has his/her PR before he/she can start working at the company. The employer has to have been in business for minimum 12 calendar months and have to show records of having other employees.

If the employer wants the future employee to start working before PR has been approved the employer has to apply for an LMO as per normal with the normal demands (posted vacancy for x months/days etc etc) and should the LMO be approved than the employee can apply for TWP and start working before PR has been approved.

An AEO can speed up the PR process and shorten it to 6-12 months as opposed to the possible 5 years of waiting.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

LMO and AEO are two different HRSDC approvals of job offers for different circumstances.

LMO is for those who want work permit and want to start working in Canada before becoming PR or without intention of becoming PR.

AEO is for those who need support for their PR application and have no intention to work in Canada before becoming PR.

LMO requires advertising and proof that no Canadian was found. AEO doesn't need it as employee will already be a PR at the time of hiring.

Both require full time employment offer with clearly stated salary that must be within average to above average going rate for the same position in same area. No contract work.

Both require employer to be in business for at least past 12 months and have other full time employees for the same period. Employer must document the need for foreign worker (job cannot be just created for foreign worker's application) and can afford such employee.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
LMO and AEO are two different HRSDC approvals of job offers for different circumstances.
Yes. As I said, I worded my question wrong.

And job wouldn't be created for just me as they need more like me but they want my international contacts as well as my long experience. My contacts would increase their workflow (loads of funding and they can expand as much as the market would allow) and they'd have to hire more labour part and full time.

If they would create the job for me they would have done it already.

Thanks for confirming what I said earlier.