Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Xrays for pregnant wife, and work permit running out. Please help.

Xrays for pregnant wife, and work permit running out. Please help.

Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

gudking1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Xrays for pregnant wife, and work permit running out. Please help.

Hi All

Here is my story. Came to canada in july 2008 as a 1year temp worker. Applied for PR in dec 2008. Extended my work permit for 1 more year in july2009 ( current WP valid upto July 2010) through CIC veg. Received medicals & RRPF for PR from buffalo. My medicals were incomplete as my wife is pregnant ( X - ray not done) and my PR application is in hold until the birth of my child ( AUG 2010).

i applied for second work permit extension in april and received a letter saying that my application will take another 16 weeks to process. Since my wife is due in 1st week of august, our health card ( OHIP) will expire end of july. My question is can i goto the nearest CIC office at 55 st clair office and get my work permit extended. I enquired to the doctor and my wife needs a C - Section. the bills costs nearly $20000.

Please advise what shall i do.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seniors Please Help urgent

Im pretty sure there are ways around the medical Xray if your wife is pregnant, you might want to see if thats been covered here in the past

I would not put the PR application on hold if its going to cost you your OHIP coverage, you can always sponsor the child after the fact.

Not sure of the answer to your other questions, but it seems more like an immigration topic to me, so I moved it and changed the title to reflect the content...

Last edited by iaink; Jul 7th 2010 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Xrays for pregnant wife, and work permit running out. Please help.

Any inputs please help.

Thanks Iaink i did try but doctors were against x -ray.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Find another doctor, if she has past a certain number of months there is little danger from a modern low dose Xray. Its a chest Xray anyway, and the resident radiographer here has said in the past that there is no danger.

Lots of past discussion if you search this forum only for {pregnant Xray} or something similar.

Anyway, the simple solution is to get your renewal expedited, so what have CIC had to say on that subject? It seems reasonable to me to expect your renewal to be processed before your medical coverage becomes an issue. (im assuming you have OHIP at present and that its due to expire with your work permit)

Last edited by iaink; Jul 7th 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Iaink

we are having OHIP now. Even if i do the x-ray now its of no use as it takes another 3 months to complete the PR process.

Just wanted to know can i go in person to CIC ( 55 St clair ave east) and extend my permit on same day even though if i have a pending application at CPC - Vegreville.

Thanks for your input
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gudking1
Thanks Iaink

we are having OHIP now. Even if i do the x-ray now its of no use as it takes another 3 months to complete the PR process.

Just wanted to know can i go in person to CIC ( 55 St clair ave east) and extend my permit on same day even though if i have a pending application at CPC - Vegreville.

Thanks for your input

AFAIK, you can't go to the CIC office, but you can leave the country and get the TWP extension issued at a port of entry.

There was a thread almost identical to this at the start of the year and that's exactly what he did. I believe you need to be close to the expiry of the TWP for this to wash - got a fairly hard time over it too, but it paid off in the end and he got the OHIP renewed.

When I find the thread I'll put it in here.

EDIT: Found it, hope this helps - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642030

Last edited by G77; Jul 8th 2010 at 1:04 pm.