Wikiposts

Is it worth applying now?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:57 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth applying now?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hi Daz,

Permanent residents of Canada have two residency obligations:

(1) They must spend a cumulated total of two years out of any five year period in Canada if they want to maintain their permanent resident status.

If they spend less than a cumulated total of two years out of any five year period in Canada, they will lose their PR status. (Use it or lose it, so to speak.)

However, a PR who is married to a Canadian does not have to worry about this requirement, as long as the time that he/she spends outside of Canada is in the company of his/her Canadian spouse. Every day that he/she spends outside of Canada in these circumstances is counted as a day spent inside Canada, for the purposes of calculating whether or not that PR has met the requirements of the residency obligation.

(2) In order to apply for Canadian citizenship, a PR must have spent at least three years (1,095 days) out the previous four years in Canada.

Of course citizenship is optional and not obligatory.

Still, if the PR wants to become a Canadian citizen, he/she has to meet the residency test that is one of the requirements for citizenship.

In the case of qualifying for citizenship, the time spent outside of Canada in the company of a Canadian spouse does not count.

The residency test for citizenship is a calculation of the number of days that have been spent in Canada, no ands, ifs or buts.

Hope that helps.
x
Thank you so much Judy
That clears up my confusion....you always give very helpful answers
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:07 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth applying now?

Originally Posted by newfiegurl
Hi Daz,
you say you applied in March and you will get your visa soon? Are you in Canada?
Hi newfiegurl
We are still in the UK at the moment and will be moving to Toronto between September and November (depending on work ect).
I should (all being well) pick up my visa from CHC london on Thursday and then i will have to move into overdrive and get things sorted !