Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working while PR application is in progress

Working while PR application is in progress

Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

chelle784 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working while PR application is in progress

Hello

I have been working in Canada for almost 2 years. I currently have a temporary work permit (intra company transfer) and my PR (CEC) was submitted a few months ago. I have been told that if my current temp work permit runs out before a decision is made on my PR, then there is another work permit that I can apply for which covers the period until the PR decision is made.

My question is, if I leave my current employment, will the new company have to submit an LMO or can I apply for the temp work permit which covers the period until the PR decision is made?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working while PR application is in progress

Yes, you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit once you've got your AOR for your CEC app - make sure you do that in plenty of time before your current work permit runs out.

Once you've got the BOWP you can work for anybody (as the name implies, it's an open work permit) without needing a LMIA (the new name for LMO's).

HTH.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit once you've got your AOR for your CEC app - make sure you do that in plenty of time before your current work permit runs out.

Once you've got the BOWP you can work for anybody (as the name implies, it's an open work permit) without needing a LMIA (the new name for LMO's).

HTH.
Thanks! I got my AOR a while back. I've also just been told that the earliest I can apply for the BOWP is 4 months before it is due to expire so I need to wait a bit. I am starting to apply for new jobs so I wondered if it was possible to work for another company before my PR came through but avoid the hassle of the LMIA. Thanks again!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelle784
Thanks! I got my AOR a while back. I've also just been told that the earliest I can apply for the BOWP is 4 months before it is due to expire so I need to wait a bit. I am starting to apply for new jobs so I wondered if it was possible to work for another company before my PR came through but avoid the hassle of the LMIA. Thanks again!
Ah, I see. So yes, you need to wait until 4 months before your current TWP expires, then you can apply for the BOWP. Only once you've got the BOWP can you work for somebody else without requiring a LMIA, unless you're in a LMIA exempt role.

HTH.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

That was my next question - so thanks for telling me that
Old Oct 6th 2014, 6:30 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Hi

How long did it take before you received your AOR from the date you submitted your application if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

It was about 8 weeks after we submitted the application!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:16 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

It was about 8 weeks after we submitted the application!
Was this recently, as in 2014?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sms1984
Was this recently, as in 2014?
Yes, 2014
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:24 pm
Happy in Alberta

Thanks so much, it's nice to get encouraging info for once lol