Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Working Holiday' while waiting for PR application an option?

'Working Holiday' while waiting for PR application an option?

Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Citrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 'Working Holiday' while waiting for PR application an option?

Hi all, I'm a long time reader of this forum and was hoping someone could help.

I have a bit of history in Canada starting with a 1 yr study permit. I was back in the UK for a year, followed by a 1 yr working holiday permit in Canada, and am now on a 2yr WP with an LMO.

I applied for PR status under the (economic) Experience Class program recently and have only 6 months left on my WP. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my WP expiry and an answer on my PR app (9 months or so without status).

I was considering applying for another BUNAC visa but it sounds like these are now administered by CIC. Does anyone have a good handle on the rules for this visa - would I be eligible if I have already been in Canada for some time and am not strictly taking a 'holiday'? Would I be hurting my chances on the PR app if I'm applying under a category like this? Is there a way to apply to London while in Canada?

I also have a chance of an extension on my WP with another LMO, but am wanting to moving cities with my spouse in a few months.

thanks,
Old Mar 17th 2012, 4:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Working Holiday' while waiting for PR application an option?

Originally Posted by Citrus
Hi all, I'm a long time reader of this forum and was hoping someone could help.

I have a bit of history in Canada starting with a 1 yr study permit. I was back in the UK for a year, followed by a 1 yr working holiday permit in Canada, and am now on a 2yr WP with an LMO.

I applied for PR status under the (economic) Experience Class program recently and have only 6 months left on my WP. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my WP expiry and an answer on my PR app (9 months or so without status).

I was considering applying for another BUNAC visa but it sounds like these are now administered by CIC. Does anyone have a good handle on the rules for this visa - would I be eligible if I have already been in Canada for some time and am not strictly taking a 'holiday'? Would I be hurting my chances on the PR app if I'm applying under a category like this? Is there a way to apply to London while in Canada?

I also have a chance of an extension on my WP with another LMO, but am wanting to moving cities with my spouse in a few months.

thanks,
Is there not a residency requirement in the UK when applying for the WHV program? Something like the 3 years immediately before the application.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Aviator
Is there not a residency requirement in the UK when applying for the WHV program? Something like the 3 years immediately before the application.
Yes, you must have been in the UK for 18 months in the previous 3 years to be eligible.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Citrus

thanks,
You mention a spouse.....his he/she a Canadian citizen or PR? I'm guessing not, but you do realise that they can sponsor you for PR which is likely going to be a quicker route to PR than your current one.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Citrus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, thanks for your answers - sounds like its not an option for me. thanks for the heads up on the family class victorfoxtrot, She is Canadian, so there is that avenue, but i thought it was a longer process than the experience class (15mo)? we also currently live in Quebec (don't plan to stay), so I think its more complicated than the Federal only track I'm on right now.

thanks guys
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

You can make an 'outland' application whilst living in Canada. Living in Quebec does make a difference, but I am not qualified to advise on the additional things you need, but I don't believe it is too onerous a task. Assuming you are a British citizen, apply outland via London. The first stage is taking 55 days to approve (that's the bit where they approve the sponsor first) and the final stage in London is taking an average of 7 months. Take a look at the spousal thread for outland London, UK applications on the immigration forum. Well worth a look. I applied last August and my application was completed in just under 5 months. Others are experiencing time lines of less than 4.