Working holiday visa second year

Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:43 am
Just Joined

bengmason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday visa second year

Good evening all,

Hopefully one of you enlightened soles can answer this question.

I have just been accepted for another year on the working holiday visa, while I am currently in Canada. My question is:

My current visa runs out on the 6th of October 2011. When I go to the border to re-enter the country to activate my new visa do I have to do it on the 7th as I am sure I read your previous visa must be expired. If this is the case and I do go to do it on the 7th, will they question that I have overstayed my current visa, as it technically ended on the 6th? Should I stay in the states the day before or is it an issue?

The second part to this question is I am fully employed here and already have a SIN number. Will this number have to change as it was originally only issued for 1 year.

Any advice you have is greatly appreciatted

Many thanks
Ben
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday visa second year

I'm in the same position with a Temporary Work Permit which expired last month. From what I've read you get a 90 day grace period to restore your status, so neither of us have technically overstayed. Should be fine. As for the SIN number I've been wondering about that myself. I'm expecting to get my LMO this week so if nobody has answered by then I'll let you know what happens when I get my TWP.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:21 am
Just Joined

bengmason is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jimmy, would appreciatte it.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bengmason
The second part to this question is I am fully employed here and already have a SIN number. Will this number have to change as it was originally only issued for 1 year.
Your SIN number has an expiry date, usually the same expiry date as your work permit.

When you have your new permit, take it and head to a Service Canada office. They will renew your SIN number. In my case I kept the same number, but the expiry date changed in line with my new TWP's expiry.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bengmason
Good evening all,

Hopefully one of you enlightened soles can answer this question.

I have just been accepted for another year on the working holiday visa, while I am currently in Canada. My question is:

My current visa runs out on the 6th of October 2011. When I go to the border to re-enter the country to activate my new visa do I have to do it on the 7th as I am sure I read your previous visa must be expired. If this is the case and I do go to do it on the 7th, will they question that I have overstayed my current visa, as it technically ended on the 6th? Should I stay in the states the day before or is it an issue?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciatted

Many thanks
Ben
i renewed my TWP at POE about a week before my other one expired, not sure on the risks of waiting till after your current one expired, I have a feeling you have to pay extra to restore your status if you do it after?? I may be wrong in saying that. Maybe best to call CIC to check?. But in my experience it is fine to do it just prior to your current expiry.

And as wolstie says your SIN is just renewed, so you don't have to worry about the number changing.