Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:37 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
JamieReader92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Hi everyone, new to the site, but you all seem to be very helpful for other people! I am currently in the middle of making plans for a year out in Canada beginning May 2014, and am just after any helpful tips, namely things that the agencies miss off that are worth knowing!

First off, I am in the process of preparing myself for Visa application once it opens up at the end of the year, I have sent off for my ACPO Police certificate and now it's just a waiting game. Does anyone out there recommend any visa companies that have been helpful, or would you recommend applying on your own? It just appears rather complex and I'd hate to miss something off, or get rejected if I'm not quick enough! Has anyone had the experience of not being fast enough in applying? I am applying as soon as I can, but I'm still worried the small scale they let in will mean I'm still not quick enough!

Hope this all makes sense, and as I said, any tips for the application process, and even for when I'm there looking for a job would be appreciated. I also have a meeting tomorrow with STA Travel in regards to flights and insurance etc, so any experiences with them would be interesting to read!


Thanks in advance!
JamieReader92 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:06 pm
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Originally Posted by JamieReader92
Hi everyone, new to the site, but you all seem to be very helpful for other people! I am currently in the middle of making plans for a year out in Canada beginning May 2014, and am just after any helpful tips, namely things that the agencies miss off that are worth knowing!

First off, I am in the process of preparing myself for Visa application once it opens up at the end of the year, I have sent off for my ACPO Police certificate and now it's just a waiting game. Does anyone out there recommend any visa companies that have been helpful, or would you recommend applying on your own? It just appears rather complex and I'd hate to miss something off, or get rejected if I'm not quick enough! Has anyone had the experience of not being fast enough in applying? I am applying as soon as I can, but I'm still worried the small scale they let in will mean I'm still not quick enough!

Hope this all makes sense, and as I said, any tips for the application process, and even for when I'm there looking for a job would be appreciated. I also have a meeting tomorrow with STA Travel in regards to flights and insurance etc, so any experiences with them would be interesting to read!


Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BE!

1) You can apply yourself, thousands of people do and there is absolutely no need to employ an Immigration Consultant to do it for you. You just need to be organised and go through the application process carefully. Bear in mind that this year was the first one for the online process and there were 'hiccoughs'
2) The cheapest flights (generally) are available online through Air Transat or Icelandair; you do not need to buy a return ticket
3) You can buy your insurance online, ensuring it covers you for both working and repatriation without any difficulty

There is no need to meet with STA travel - you will not get a flight or the insurance any cheaper by using them. There are many recommendations for Insurance policies on the IEC 2013 thread.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:16 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
JamieReader92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Ooo! Thank you very much for your response! I was recently told about the online processing, I downloaded all the forms and was going to prepare them but was later informed there's no point as things may change and online is more secure. Just being impatient I think as the online application isn't open yet. :P

Thanks for your advice in regards to travel and insurance, I think I'm just a little scared to do it all myself, as any mistakes I can't blame anyone haha. I'm coming to Canada on my own and don't know anyone out there so it's all quite scary to be honest, so I want everything to go as smooth as possible.

I think I might just be cheeky tomorrow then and use STA Travel as a source of checklisting what I need prior to getting there and then at least look into doing it on my own.

My biggest worry as I said before is not getting a slot for a working holiday visa, but I think it may be over-exaggerated by the Visa companies I have spoken to in regards to how difficult to retain a place it is when doing it independently. I'd just hate to get to next year, a few months before thinking I'm going to be going just to be told I am unfortunate in the application process.

I mayyy be over-thinking it...!
JamieReader92 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:43 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Originally Posted by JamieReader92
Ooo! Thank you very much for your response! I was recently told about the online processing, I downloaded all the forms and was going to prepare them but was later informed there's no point as things may change and online is more secure. Just being impatient I think as the online application isn't open yet. :P

Thanks for your advice in regards to travel and insurance, I think I'm just a little scared to do it all myself, as any mistakes I can't blame anyone haha. I'm coming to Canada on my own and don't know anyone out there so it's all quite scary to be honest, so I want everything to go as smooth as possible.

I think I might just be cheeky tomorrow then and use STA Travel as a source of checklisting what I need prior to getting there and then at least look into doing it on my own.

My biggest worry as I said before is not getting a slot for a working holiday visa, but I think it may be over-exaggerated by the Visa companies I have spoken to in regards to how difficult to retain a place it is when doing it independently. I'd just hate to get to next year, a few months before thinking I'm going to be going just to be told I am unfortunate in the application process.

I mayyy be over-thinking it...!
If you look at the IEC UK page there is a step by step guide about the process, have a read of that so that you know what to expect and understand what you need to do.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...e_demande.aspx

The majority of the forms you will need to fill out online. Make sure that you fill out the forms correctly - you can download them and do a 'dummy run' so you can just copy the information when it goes live. Make sure you have scanned copies of your passport, ACPO, funds, resume etc., so you can upload them when requested. Write down your user name and password - you would be suprised how many people forgot them.

I would strongly suggest that you make yourself aware of the process and be prepared to submit your application the 1st day it opens, preferably in the first couple of hours! There is a mad rush for the number of places and a lot of the problems people seem to have had is either not having everything in place ready, not understanding what to do, and additionally, pressing the submit button several times (despite it telling you not to) which in some cases resulted in them being allocated a number far lower down the list than they would have had originally.

You'll be fine provided you are organised and take the time to fill it all out properly.


Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 12th 2013 at 10:46 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:56 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
JamieReader92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa for Canada

do you have any idea how far in advance you are informed of the application release date by any chance?
JamieReader92 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:31 pm
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa for Canada

Originally Posted by JamieReader92
do you have any idea how far in advance you are informed of the application release date by any chance?
It's a bit of an unknown quantity, unfortunately. Last year they said it would open 'by February 1st' but it actually opened on the 14th.

They usually announce the opening date on the CIC page.

Siouxie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.