WORKING IN CANADA/EMPLOYED BY UK

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

keylog is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy WORKING IN CANADA/EMPLOYED BY UK

Hi all!! I'm new to all this but before i start i just wanted to say how amazing this community is...! I've spent a couple of days filtering through the wealth of advice you guys have ! You're the light in the tunnel!

Anyway I'll get to my point:

My Girlfriend has been offered a job as a midwife in BC and is currently working through the assessments involved with practicing out there. We currently are living in the UK and wish to emigrate to Canada. However the problem we are faced with is how do i get a PR and join her. Now that doesn't seem too confusing!

So the main problem is i need a work permit.....My UK based company has offered me freelance work which i could do from home in Canada as i only require a computer and a fast internet connection. However i'm confused with what is legally possible. To work freelance for them i have to come into Canada on a self employed visa application however the Canadian government says i have to have two years experience working for myself in the UK before i can apply (which i don't have!). so:

a)Am i able to go out to Canada and work for my company without going through the work permits and visa system?

b)Is there anything my company can do ie can they sponsor me to work out there for them and consequently i could gain a work permit trough them?

c) is there anyway i can be granted a self employed work permit in Canada and work for my UK based company?

Other options are :

PR through common law partnership : however we have nothing to prove this as we have lived with her parents for a year so don't have any joint owership/accounts/bills ....

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN CANADA/EMPLOYED BY UK

Originally Posted by keylog
Hi all!! I'm new to all this but before i start i just wanted to say how amazing this community is...! I've spent a couple of days filtering through the wealth of advice you guys have ! You're the light in the tunnel!

My Girlfriend has been offered a job as a midwife in BC and is currently working through the assessments involved with practicing out there. We currently are living in the UK and wish to emigrate to Canada. However the problem we are faced with is how do i get a PR and join her. Now that doesn't seem too confusing!

So the main problem is i need a work permit.....My UK based company has offered me freelance work which i could do from home in Canada as i only require a computer and a fast internet connection. However i'm confused with what is legally possible. To work freelance for them i have to come into Canada on a self employed visa application however the Canadian government says i have to have two years experience working for myself in the UK before i can apply (which i don't have!). so:

a)Am i able to go out to Canada and work for my company without going through the work permits and visa system?

b)Is there anything my company can do ie can they sponsor me to work out there for them and consequently i could gain a work permit trough them?

c) is there anyway i can be granted a self employed work permit in Canada and work for my UK based company?

Other options are :

PR through common law partnership : however we have nothing to prove this as we have lived with her parents for a year so don't have any joint owership/accounts/bills ....

Thank you in advance
You need an immigration consultant.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Other options are :

Thank you in advance
For what its worth....

a) No
b) No
c) No

Get married and apply for an open WP based on your wife's WP, file a Canadian tax return with just zeros inserted (working for UK company pay UK taxes).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:14 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
a) No
Wrong! Telecommuting (being employed and paid in UK but working remotely from Canada and not taking jobs from Canadians) by a visitor is not considered work under Canadian law and doesn't require work permit.

b) No
see above

c) No
correct, but again - see (a) above

file a Canadian tax return with just zeros inserted (working for UK company pay UK taxes).
Wrong! When filing Canadian tax return (providing that person is a resident for tax purposes) one must report income from all sources worldwide (so no zeros) and then can take credit for taxes paid abroad, as per Tax Treaty between both countries.

Coming as visitor has it's pitfalls - no health insurance and no guarantee for 6 months admission or extension of stay.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Wrong! Telecommuting (being employed and paid in UK but working remotely from Canada and not taking jobs from Canadians) by a visitor is not considered work under Canadian law and doesn't require work permit.

see above

correct, but again - see (a) above

Wrong! When filing Canadian tax return (providing that person is a resident for tax purposes) one must report income from all sources worldwide (so no zeros) and then can take credit for taxes paid abroad, as per Tax Treaty between both countries.

Coming as visitor has it's pitfalls - no health insurance and no guarantee for 6 months admission or extension of stay.
So in a nut shell, unless your planning on being in Canada for a 6 month period take my advise get married and get yourself an open WP based on your OH's WP. You will need to file for tax here but show Canadian income as zero.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:49 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Other options are :

Thank you in advance
How old are you? If under 30 you can get a BUNAC visa that lets you come an work in Canada for a year. Search on here for details or google bunac work canada. Limited positions each year so check it out soon if you qualify.

That should give you time to work out the common law thing, and then fall under g/f visa....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

keylog is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you everyone ! i'll look into all avenues and let you know any progress!