Working before perm res

Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

mrrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working before perm res

I've used a representative for my perm res app under spouse, my wife lives in vancouver and i'm in UK at the moment, the application has just been submitted but i want to move to vancouver now rather than wait for the perm res papers. If i were to move now would i have to go through the same channels regarding employment as i would if i were still in UK looking for work? I work as a support worker for adults with learning difficulties as does my wife, she's told me there's employment in our chosen work where we live but i'm not sure if i should move now and apply or wait here and apply, any thoughts on this ?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:46 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working before perm res

If you're a British citizen, you can enter Canada as a tourist for six months. The immigration officer at your port of entry can use his/her discretion and bar you from entering Canada or admit you for a shorter time than six months. However, it's usual for British citizens to be admitted as tourists for six months.

Once you're in Canada, you may not work for money. Also, as Andrew Miller has taught us on this forum, it's not just that you may not work for money. Another criterion is that you may not do any volunteer work that would take a paid job away from a Canadian resident.

However, you are allowed to do volunteer work that would not jeopardize a Canadian resident's employment. There is plenty of volunteer work that qualifies.

But then I don't get the impression that you want to do volunteer work. I get the sense that you want to find a paid job.

If you had submitted your application within Canada, you could have obtained an open work permit once your application had reached the approval in principle (AIP) stage. An open work permit would have entitled you to accept any kind of work from any employer in any part of Canada. You could have worked in Canada while you waited for your permanent residence visa.

Since you submitted your application outside of Canada, the AIP provision does not apply to you. So, if you wanted to work in Canada, you'd have to jump through the same hoops that other foreigners have to jump through.

The only other solution I can think of, if you're a British citizen under 30, is a working holiday visa that you can get through BUNAC.

The good news is that obtaining a PR visa via the spousal sponsorship route is a much quicker process than the skilled worker route. SW applications take about 5 years, and spousal applications usually come through in under a year, sometimes just a few months.

That may seem like a long time to you, and I'm sure it's tough to be separated from your wife, but I'm also sure that you are the envy of many forum members who have submitted SW applications.

Anyway, I hope that info has been useful.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

My app was submitted in Vancouver, my rep is in vancouver, So being my application was submitted in Canada how long would it take to get an AIP? and once recieving an AIP how would i go about getting a work permit till i get perm res?

Last edited by mrrod; Dec 12th 2007 at 4:50 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrrod
haven't read all the last post but my app was submitted in Vancouver, my rep is in vancouver.
Well, when your application receives approval in principle, I dare say you'll be able to get an open work permit. But, given that your application has only just been submitted, I expect you'll have to wait a few months to reach that stage.

I've seen posts in which Andrew Miller has stated that inland spousal applications take about double the length of time that overseas spousal applications take.

So each method has its pros and cons. Overseas applications are processed more quickly. Inland applications are processed more slowly, but you have the consolation of being able to work once you receive AIP.

Edited to add that I'm sorry but I don't know the answers to the additional questions that you posed once you'd edited the message to which I replied.

Just out of curiosity, isn't your paid representative advising you on these issues? I would have thought it was part of the service.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Dec 12th 2007 at 4:58 pm. Reason: Changed response to reflect editing of post to which I was responding.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mrrod
My app was submitted in Vancouver, my rep is in vancouver, So being my application was submitted in Canada how long would it take to get an AIP? and once recieving an AIP how would i go about getting a work permit till i get perm res?
It is unlikely that you application would have been submitted in Vancouver, as it appears that you are residing overseas, the sponsorship and application go to Mississauga. If the sponsorship is approved then the application would go to London for processing. There is no AIP for overseas spousal applications. If you wish to work, you would have to find an employer willing to obtain an LMO and you would have to obtain the work permit outside Canada (at Port of Entry if no medical was required). The employer has to demonstrate to HRSDC that they have advertised extensively and no Canadians/PR qualified for the position. If it is not a trade under pressure, 3/4 months to obtain LMO probably.

Where the sponsor submits an In-Canada spousal application to Vegreville, that is when the spouse is residing in Canada. The AIP takes about 5-6 months.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ok, so being i'm residing in the UK i won't get an AIP and i'll also have to apply for work like anyone else living outside of Canada and in which the employer shows to hrsdc they advertised, so it might be better for me to stick out working in the UK and be financialy better off in the long run and wait for the perm res papers.

p.s. I meant to say my application was submitted from Vancouver being my Rep is in Vancouver

Last edited by mrrod; Dec 12th 2007 at 5:21 pm.