Work Visa - Is this right ?

Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Visa - Is this right ?

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Woodstock, we are going to Alberta as well and the local school Headmaster told us that we wouldn't need Study Permits.....but CIC said we did so we paid for them (still to arrive though).
Stuarty
Yet another way for CHC to make money!
Why do they insist on making things more difficult and expensive than they need to be!
No doubt they will tell us that we need them but the school board said all we need is a copy of the work permit, the children's immunisation records and something like their past school reports so they can see which grades to put them in.
I will do more investigating.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Woodstock, we are going to Alberta as well and the local school Headmaster told us that we wouldn't need Study Permits.....but CIC said we did so we paid for them (still to arrive though).
Stuarty
We had to pay for one for my daughter otherwise they wouldn't issue our work permit authorisation. I may question it at the airport when we go, but I doubt they will refund our money!

Mel
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
It's my understanding that not every school board requires a study permit for children.
You might want to check, it could save you some money.
I'm going to put my two pennarth worth in here!

My hubby came on a work permit, he picked it up at the airport, due to the time he landed in Calgary he was the only one in the queue. he was given a 3 month permit as he had to sit his trade exam (mechanic) I came with daughter 2 months later and we got (through misinformation we didn't know any better!!) 6 month visitors permits. 2 months before visitors permits ran out I was able to apply for a work permit as my hubby is on record as being a Architect (even though it says he is a mechnic and that is all he is allowed to do on his visa - someone screwed up and they won't fix it - ho hum). As for study permits, well this is a greyish area (or we found it was) If a parent is legally entitled to work in Alberta (our experience) then a study permit is not needed. The school I registered my daughter with (we had applied for a study permit - again misinformation) said they wouldn't take the study permit because it causes too much hassle. The greay area with us and study permits was - my husband is not my daughters biological father, I was on a visitors visa, therefore she would need a study permit - however as I was able to apply for a work permit and would get one due to my hubby's occupation, she wouldn't need a study permit. Hope this all makes sense.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Alan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

My hubby came on a work permit, he picked it up at the airport, due to the time he landed in Calgary he was the only one in the queue. he was given a 3 month permit as he had to sit his trade exam (mechanic) I came with daughter 2 months later and we got (through misinformation we didn't know any better!!) 6 month visitors permits. 2 months before visitors permits ran out I was able to apply for a work permit as my hubby is on record as being a Architect (even though it says he is a mechnic and that is all he is allowed to do on his visa - someone screwed up and they won't fix it - ho hum). As for study permits, well this is a greyish area (or we found it was) If a parent is legally entitled to work in Alberta (our experience) then a study permit is not needed. The school I registered my daughter with (we had applied for a study permit - again misinformation) said they wouldn't take the study permit because it causes too much hassle. The greay area with us and study permits was - my husband is not my daughters biological father, I was on a visitors visa, therefore she would need a study permit - however as I was able to apply for a work permit and would get one due to my hubby's occupation, she wouldn't need a study permit. Hope this all makes sense.

Well I can only say thank god for forums like this!

The various processes and requirements seem to vary so much across the Country, it's no wonder we all get so confused.

At least here, we can share first hand experiences to help along the way and at least try and find out what we're doing and what may happen.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Thanks for that Piff Poff.

You're right, it is so confusing!
Well, yet again, we have had it confirmed by the school board that our children don't need study permits to attend school. One or both parents need to be able to show that they are legally entitled to live and work in Canada, ie work permit.
However...last night, hidden in the depths of the London specific pages of info, we found that it says that work permits will not be issued if study permits (where needed) have not been applied for. So it appears to be as Mels said.
So today I have had to run around ordering a bankers draft for $250. We have had to fork out £135 for something that Is NOT needed!!!! Yet another way for CHC to make money!
This whole process makes me cross! Can you tell?

What do you think the chances are of us claiming it back once we are over??
I'll not hold my breath!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Thanks for that Piff Poff.

You're right, it is so confusing!
Well, yet again, we have had it confirmed by the school board that our children don't need study permits to attend school. One or both parents need to be able to show that they are legally entitled to live and work in Canada, ie work permit.
However...last night, hidden in the depths of the London specific pages of info, we found that it says that work permits will not be issued if study permits (where needed) have not been applied for. So it appears to be as Mels said.
So today I have had to run around ordering a bankers draft for $250. We have had to fork out £135 for something that Is NOT needed!!!! Yet another way for CHC to make money!
This whole process makes me cross! Can you tell?

What do you think the chances are of us claiming it back once we are over??
I'll not hold my breath!
Well due to our misinformation, my daughter and I instead of visiting my Grandad in Newcastle for what may be the last time ( he is 80) we travelled to London to get the study permit - we were told they would give it to us the and there HAH! Well they don't, we paid our 55 pounds, and wasted a day travelling to London (we'd done the touristy thing a couple of weeks before). We then came out to Alberta and eventually got turned down for the study permit, as we didn't have her biological fathers consent to bring her, hence our trip to Calgary immigration to get things straight. There seems to be a grey area here. As my daughters biological father has never had anything to do with her and I don't even know where the A**hole is (previous posts will fill you in here), it's a bit difficult to get his permission, so we expalained this and as I was going to get a work permit the study permit problem was solved. They did turn a blind eye to the fact that she had been in school for 3 months without the proper stuff.