Wikiposts

Work visa extention advice

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

RICCI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work visa extention advice

Hi there,
We would appreciate any advice regarding our situation.

My partner and I are currently residing and working in Canada with 12 month working holiday visas (organised through BUNAC/SWAP) which expire on 29th June 2009.

We would like to remain living and working in Canada for up to 12 months, but are unsure of how to proceed, regarding visa extention or renewal.

My partners employer (in the construction industry) has offered to assist in anyway it can - including sponsorship. As he is classified as a 'skilled worker' we understand that he may be able to apply for a skilled worker visa, and I should be able to remain in Canada as his partner.

We have looked into immigration consultants which seem to charge high fees, and we have researched on the CIC website - but are confused as to what category we fall into and what exactly we need to apply for.

We would be very grateful for any help to put us in the right direction.

Thank you
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Matthew Sell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work visa extention advice

Originally Posted by RICCI
Hi there,

My partner and I are currently residing and working in Canada with 12 month working holiday visas (organised through BUNAC/SWAP) which expire on 29th June 2009.

We would like to remain living and working in Canada for up to 12 months, but are unsure of how to proceed, regarding visa extention or renewal.

My partners employer (in the construction industry) has offered to assist in anyway it can - including sponsorship. As he is classified as a 'skilled worker' we understand that he may be able to apply for a skilled worker visa, and I should be able to remain in Canada as his partner.

We have looked into immigration consultants which seem to charge high fees, and we have researched on the CIC website - but are confused as to what category we fall into and what exactly we need to apply for.

Thank you
Hello,

Currently you are working in Canada on a 1year open work permit. If you have the support of an employer, the employer could apply for a labor market opinion and if the result is positive you could apply for a work permit to extend you stay.

Depending on your partners occupation you maybe eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker category, you would have to score 67 points and have a minimum of one year work experience. If he is a Plumber, an electrician, a construction manager or a crane operator his skills are in demand and your application would go straight to processing. If not then he may need an arranged employment offer.

I suggest reading around about LMO's and AEO's on the wiki section of this website.

Good luck with it
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work visa extention advice

Originally Posted by RICCI
Hi there,

Thank you
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Matthew has said, have a good read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and you will then understand your options a lot better hopefully.

Good luck.