Wikiposts

Work permits

Old May 21st 2005, 2:33 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default Work permits

I'm going for a final interview for a job in Vancouver next week (my expense). If offered it will be on a work permit basis which company has experience of handling. However I have sold my house in England and don't fancy living with family or renting whilst waiting for Work Permit.

Can I come out on a visitor visa when I know that I'm in the system for a Work Permit? Then when it's issued what next? Presumably it would be issued to England which is no problem, but how would I then 'enter' Canada under the Work Permit rather than as a visitor? I'm hoping it doesn't entail flying back to Britain.

Hopefully it's a matter of going out on a visitor visa, when WP issued getting it couriered to my Canadian address, leaving via a border and then returning with the WP paperwork.

Please enlighten me.
Old May 21st 2005, 2:42 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permits

CHC London will only issue approval letter - work permit will be issued at the port of entry after such approval letter is presented. All you need to do after receipt of approval letter is to drive south to Peace Arch border crossing, leave Canada, follow sign "Return to Canada" before reaching US immigration booths and report to Canadian immigration.

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
I'm going for a final interview for a job in Vancouver next week (my expense). If offered it will be on a work permit basis which company has experience of handling. However I have sold my house in England and don't fancy living with family or renting whilst waiting for Work Permit.

Can I come out on a visitor visa when I know that I'm in the system for a Work Permit? Then when it's issued what next? Presumably it would be issued to England which is no problem, but how would I then 'enter' Canada under the Work Permit rather than as a visitor? I'm hoping it doesn't entail flying back to Britain.

Hopefully it's a matter of going out on a visitor visa, when WP issued getting it couriered to my Canadian address, leaving via a border and then returning with the WP paperwork.

Please enlighten me.
Old May 21st 2005, 2:50 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
CHC London will only issue approval letter - work permit will be issued at the port of entry after such approval letter is presented. All you need to do after receipt of approval letter is to drive south to Peace Arch border crossing, leave Canada, follow sign "Return to Canada" before reaching US immigration booths and report to Canadian immigration.
Thanks Mr Miller for your response.

Another quick question - I plan to do some flight training in Canada to convert my Commercial Pilot Licence and Ratings. I was planning on getting a Study Visa unless the Work Visa comes through promptly. Can someone enlighten me about these (or provide links), whether they're limited to school/university, how long they can be valid for as I don't know how long the training will take.
Old May 21st 2005, 3:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Thanks Mr Miller for your response.

Another quick question - I plan to do some flight training in Canada to convert my Commercial Pilot Licence and Ratings. I was planning on getting a Study Visa unless the Work Visa comes through promptly. Can someone enlighten me about these (or provide links), whether they're limited to school/university, how long they can be valid for as I don't know how long the training will take.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

PMM
Old May 21st 2005, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Work permits

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller,

Is this 'return to Canada' option at all border crossings? or only some?

Phil
Old May 21st 2005, 3:35 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

On most large crossings - you need to call the particular crossing and ask to be sure.

Originally Posted by pak2
Andrew Miller,

Is this 'return to Canada' option at all border crossings? or only some?

Phil