Work permits

Old May 21st 2005, 2:33 pm
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 331
g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default Work permits

I'm going for a final interview for a job in Vancouver next week (my expense). If offered it will be on a work permit basis which company has experience of handling. However I have sold my house in England and don't fancy living with family or renting whilst waiting for Work Permit.

Can I come out on a visitor visa when I know that I'm in the system for a Work Permit? Then when it's issued what next? Presumably it would be issued to England which is no problem, but how would I then 'enter' Canada under the Work Permit rather than as a visitor? I'm hoping it doesn't entail flying back to Britain.

Hopefully it's a matter of going out on a visitor visa, when WP issued getting it couriered to my Canadian address, leaving via a border and then returning with the WP paperwork.

Please enlighten me.
g_is_for_canada is offline  
Old May 21st 2005, 2:42 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permits

CHC London will only issue approval letter - work permit will be issued at the port of entry after such approval letter is presented. All you need to do after receipt of approval letter is to drive south to Peace Arch border crossing, leave Canada, follow sign "Return to Canada" before reaching US immigration booths and report to Canadian immigration.


Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
I'm going for a final interview for a job in Vancouver next week (my expense). If offered it will be on a work permit basis which company has experience of handling. However I have sold my house in England and don't fancy living with family or renting whilst waiting for Work Permit.

Can I come out on a visitor visa when I know that I'm in the system for a Work Permit? Then when it's issued what next? Presumably it would be issued to England which is no problem, but how would I then 'enter' Canada under the Work Permit rather than as a visitor? I'm hoping it doesn't entail flying back to Britain.

Hopefully it's a matter of going out on a visitor visa, when WP issued getting it couriered to my Canadian address, leaving via a border and then returning with the WP paperwork.

Please enlighten me.
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old May 21st 2005, 2:50 pm
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 331
g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work permits

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
CHC London will only issue approval letter - work permit will be issued at the port of entry after such approval letter is presented. All you need to do after receipt of approval letter is to drive south to Peace Arch border crossing, leave Canada, follow sign "Return to Canada" before reaching US immigration booths and report to Canadian immigration.
Thanks Mr Miller for your response.

Another quick question - I plan to do some flight training in Canada to convert my Commercial Pilot Licence and Ratings. I was planning on getting a Study Visa unless the Work Visa comes through promptly. Can someone enlighten me about these (or provide links), whether they're limited to school/university, how long they can be valid for as I don't know how long the training will take.
g_is_for_canada is offline  
Old May 21st 2005, 3:16 pm
  #4  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permits

HI

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Thanks Mr Miller for your response.

Another quick question - I plan to do some flight training in Canada to convert my Commercial Pilot Licence and Ratings. I was planning on getting a Study Visa unless the Work Visa comes through promptly. Can someone enlighten me about these (or provide links), whether they're limited to school/university, how long they can be valid for as I don't know how long the training will take.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

PMM
PMM is offline  
Old May 21st 2005, 3:32 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 139
pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Work permits

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
CHC London will only issue approval letter - work permit will be issued at the port of entry after such approval letter is presented. All you need to do after receipt of approval letter is to drive south to Peace Arch border crossing, leave Canada, follow sign "Return to Canada" before reaching US immigration booths and report to Canadian immigration.
Andrew Miller,

Is this 'return to Canada' option at all border crossings? or only some?

Phil
pak2 is offline  
Old May 21st 2005, 3:35 pm
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permits

On most large crossings - you need to call the particular crossing and ask to be sure.

Originally Posted by pak2
Andrew Miller,

Is this 'return to Canada' option at all border crossings? or only some?

Phil
Andrew Miller is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.