Work Permit for wife

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:24 am
Just Joined

jcool144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit for wife

I have got the chance to emigrate to Canada through my UK employer.
My wife works for a supermarket in the UK.
How long will it take for her to get a work permit in Alberta?
Is it better to do it in Canada or the UK?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit for wife

If she can get a work permit on your main application you can apply at the same time I.e open otherwise she I'll have to meet requirements and apply for one herself

Suggest read wiki and CIC http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq08.asp

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Oct 2nd 2011 at 11:30 am. Reason: Add link
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

jcool144 is an unknown quantity at this point

my employer is doing my work permit for me, so should I ask them?
Thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends in what category you are getting your work permit, suggest you read the link I gave you for CIC in my previous post
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jcool144
I have got the chance to emigrate to Canada through my UK employer.
My wife works for a supermarket in the UK.
How long will it take for her to get a work permit in Alberta?
Is it better to do it in Canada or the UK?
If you come over on a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) then your company will probably apply though the Canadian London Consulate and you'll receive a recommendation letter from the consulate. At your port of entry (probably Calgary) Canadian Immigration will issue you a TWP for upto 3 years and your wife can get an open TWP for the same length of time as your TWP. This will allow her to work for anyone doing any job (with a few exceptions). The kids will get study permits as well, although technically these aren't needed some schools are a bit backwards so it helps!

All pretty straight forward and takes about 20 minutes at immigration - just remember you need to pay the fees for the TWPs after Immigration for some odd reason!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheCrosslands
If you come over on a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) then your company will probably apply though the Canadian London Consulate and you'll receive a recommendation letter from the consulate. At your port of entry (probably Calgary) Canadian Immigration will issue you a TWP for upto 3 years and your wife can get an open TWP for the same length of time as your TWP. This will allow her to work for anyone doing any job (with a few exceptions). The kids will get study permits as well, although technically these aren't needed some schools are a bit backwards so it helps!

All pretty straight forward and takes about 20 minutes at immigration - just remember you need to pay the fees for the TWPs after Immigration for some odd reason!
Not every spouse or common law can get a TWP unless they apply for one of their own. A lot will depend on the profession they are applying under.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As Silverdragon said, an open work permit is not a given - only spouses of 'skilled' workers can get them. And I suspect the OP will apply for their TWP directly at POE rather than waiting the 10-12 weeks for the letter via the London visa office, most people do.

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As Silverdragon said, an open work permit is not a given - only spouses of 'skilled' workers can get them. And I suspect the OP will apply for their TWP directly at POE rather than waiting the 10-12 weeks for the letter via the London visa office, most people do.

True - forgot about the skilled worker requirement!

We had to go through the London route for TWP as my wife's company didn't want us to get to POE and have any issues. Also much better for us as we knew getting the TWPs issued was pretty much a formality with a low risk of an immigration officer having a bad day and then ruining ours! Suprisingly the wait on London to issue the recommendation was only 3 weeks (this was Feb 2011) even though we were expecting 8 to 10. Probably helped that the US based immigration lawyers at the company had produced most of the required paperwork.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

dainan is an unknown quantity at this point

True - forgot about the skilled worker requirement!

We had to go through the London route for TWP as my wife's company didn't want us to get to POE and have any issues. Also much better for us as we knew getting the TWPs issued was pretty much a formality with a low risk of an immigration officer having a bad day and then ruining ours! Suprisingly the wait on London to issue the recommendation was only 3 weeks (this was Feb 2011) even though we were expecting 8 to 10. Probably helped that the US based immigration lawyers at the company had produced most of the required paperwork.
I am jamaican and i will like to get a job in alberta, I am a welder/machinist anybody that can help please let me know
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dainan
I am jamaican and i will like to get a job in alberta, I am a welder/machinist anybody that can help please let me know
Hi Dainan, and welcome to the forum.

Please start your own thread, rather than hijacking this one, and then people will no doubt try and help. It would be helpful if you could also mention your visa status in your thread so that people know if you are already a PR, or need an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle of hiring you etc.

Good luck.