Work permit at POE

Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

LouandLol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit at POE

Hello all, so glad we have found this forum.

I know this question has probably been asked lots and I have looked through but there are so many threads and these rules seem to update regularly so I'd just like to ask a question based on our personal circumstances.

I have a job offer for Canada, a 2 year contract. I am just awaiting the LMO from the employer. I believe my job falls under skill set B, NOC number 2271. I hope I have worked it our correctly on the matrix.

So my question is, so long as it is skill level B - can I apply for my work permit on entry taking with me:

Passport
Job offer
Job contract
Copy of LMO

And as I understand it, providing my work permit is longer than 6 months, my partner can apply at the POE for an open work permit at the same time? We're not married but have lived together for the last 2 years, will this suffice and would we need any evidence of this?

Do we need any other documents and does anybody know what determines how long of a work permit they issue? Is it whatever the LMO states?

Many thanks for any help guys, we're just a young British couple trying to navigate the immigration of Canada and start-a-fresh with a new life in the cold!

Best wishes.

LouandLol
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit at POE

As long as the NOC skill level is B (noc matrix site down at time of posting) your OH is eligible to apply for a spousal open work permit.
Length of work permit is stipulated on the LMO e.g. 12 months, 24 months etc so providing passport is still valid thats how long you will get from date of arrival.
Don't forget the $150 fee for the work permit.
Bring proof of living together as you may be asked as you are not married.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:18 am
Just Joined

LouandLol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As long as the NOC skill level is B (noc matrix site down at time of posting) your OH is eligible to apply for a spousal open work permit.
Length of work permit is stipulated on the LMO e.g. 12 months, 24 months etc so providing passport is still valid thats how long you will get from date of arrival.
Don't forget the $150 fee for the work permit.
Bring proof of living together as you may be asked as you are not married.
Thanks for the reply FL.

Good point about the passport validity - hadn't thought about that... Will send it off for renewal this week.

So I can just get a work permit on entry? Seems reasonably simple... Good old Canadians!

Do you know when the new NOC matrix might be out? I hope it stays level B or higher. I'm a helicopter pilot, do you envisage the level for that changing?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouandLol
Thanks for the reply FL.

Good point about the passport validity - hadn't thought about that... Will send it off for renewal this week.

So I can just get a work permit on entry? Seems reasonably simple... Good old Canadians!

Do you know when the new NOC matrix might be out? I hope it stays level B or higher. I'm a helicopter pilot, do you envisage the level for that changing?

Many thanks.
I can't honestly see the NOC skill level for your job changing. Website is down as opposed to any changes being made to the NOC.
Yes its that simple if prepared and have all relevant documents when arriving.