Work permit extension and leaving

Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

fuzzy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit extension and leaving

Quick question, I have to apply to extend my working status in the country while I wait for my PNP to be processed, right?

I'm currently on the IEC program, where my visa expires on May 31st. I was planning on flying home for two weeks and returning May 24th.

Even though my IEC will be still valid, I'd have had to apply for the extension while waiting for my PNP. Will this be an issue coming back through?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit extension and leaving

You can't extend an IEC, you need to apply for a new TWP.

Have you been nominated by the province yet? You don't say which province you are in, or what stream you're applying under, but you can usually get at TWP at the nomination stage of the PNP application.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

I'm in BC.

I know I can't extend my IEC, I'm not trying to do that.

It says you have to apply for a TWP a month before your current is up, and due to PNP probably taking between 8/12 weeks, my IEC will be up by the time it comes through, so i'll need to apply for the TWP.
I'm sending my PNP stuff today.

So... based on that, would I able to travel out the country and come back?

Appreciate your help!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzy87
I know I can't extend my IEC, I'm not trying to do that.

It says you have to apply for a TWP a month before your current is up
Ok, now I'm really confused (not that it takes much!). If you're not talking about extending your IEC, then what are you referring to? When you say you are 'sending your PNP stuff', what stage of the application are you at? And which province are you in?

The 'applying for a TWP a month before' doesn't apply to you as you're not in a TWP - that's for those on a 'normal' work permit, rather than a Working Holiday Visa.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Ok, so I'm currently on the IEC. It expires may 31st.
My work have helped me with my PNP application, I'm applying under the strategic skilled category. My paperwork for the PNP is being sent this afternoon.
Because the PNP can take 8/12 weeks to be processed and my IEC is up in 8 weeks, would I need to apply for a work permit extension to keep me on a valid status until the pnp is processed?

And... in doing so, would this in any way shape or form cause any issues if I'm to leave the country for two weeks? I'd be back a week before my IEC expires.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Presuming you have been offered and accepted a full time permanent job, once you have Provincial Nomination (which takes between 6 and 12 weeks) you will be issued a letter of support. Once you have the letter of support you can apply for a TWP at the Port of Entry.

You can't apply to extend a permit you don't have, so that part does not apply to you.

When your IEC visa is about to expire - if you haven't received PNP nomination by then - you will have to apply to change your status to visitor. You can do that online prior to leaving for your trip back to the UK or else by mail.

Currently, the processing times are around 44 days for online applications, 107 days for mailed in ones, which will give plenty of time for your PNP approval to be processed (or not approved).

Edit: When you come back to Canada make sure you have proof of your PNP application and fees being submitted, else they may be reluctant to let you back in with only 1 week of your IEC still valid. Additionally, have a copy of the contract with your employer and a letter confirming that once PNP approval is given and you have a work permit, you will be working for them. Please note, you will NOT be able to work until you have obtained PNP support letter and got a TWP.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 5th 2013 at 5:17 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fuzzy87
Because the PNP can take 8/12 weeks to be processed and my IEC is up in 8 weeks, would I need to apply for a work permit extension to keep me on a valid status until the pnp is processed?
Ok, got it now. But you can't apply for a work permit extension, that's not something you're eligible for as an IEC holder, as it's not extendable

If you have a gap between your IEC expiring and the PNP work permit, your only option if you want to keep working would be to get a LMO and normal TWP, but LMO's are taking longer than 8 weeks at the mo!

You shouldn't have an issue re-entering Canada on your IEC though if it's still valid.

HTH a bit.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
Please note, you will NOT be able to work until you have obtained PNP support letter and got a TWP.
Is it the support letter that takes 8 weeks?

Looks like I will have to apply for a TWP then, as I can't afford to stop working...... is there a specific one I apply for?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

you can't just apply for a work permit.

Either your employer applies for an LMO for you and advertises your job, proves that they could not find a Canadian etc., gets a positive LMO and then you can get a TWP but that takes > 8 weeks in the moment.

Or you have to wait until you get your PNP nomination (8-12 weeks) and the support letter to get a TWP.

Either way if you have neither a LMO nor the PNP support letter by the end of May you have to change to visitor status and have to stop working. Also the application to change to visitor status has to be received by CIC (either mail or online) before your work permit expires. So give it plenty of time.

If they send everything today then it would be exactly 8 weeks until your IEC expires and cutting it fine hoping the support letter will have arrived in time.

I am afraid your next step should be to apply for visitor status.
Like Siouxie said mail it, probably best mid May and you can stay until you get a response as a visitor not working (approx 107 days) in that time your PNP and support letter should come through and you can get the TWP and start working again.

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Apr 5th 2013 at 6:01 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Shit, ok, what's this though ....?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...end-worker.asp
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

That is what the other two ladies tried to explain. If you were here on a LMO/TWP already and that expires then you can extend it. BUT as your IEC is not extendable this won't apply for you.

Apply for visitor staus latest mid May. If you are lucky the PNP letter comes last week May and you get your TWP if not you stop working for a few weeks until a decision is made.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
I'm guessing I'd be best to go home when I can't work then........
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

you would only be off work for a few weeks I guess if everything goes to plan. Why don't you send the PNP stuff off, apply for visitor status, work until the end of may, then go on a nice hols back to the UK and if/when the PNP letter is delivered (approx. if everything is send today, end May to end June) get a TWP and work assuming your employer would be willing to wait.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
you would only be off work for a few weeks I guess if everything goes to plan. Why don't you send the PNP stuff off, apply for visitor status, work until the end of may, then go on a nice hols back to the UK and if/when the PNP letter is delivered (approx. if everything is send today, end May to end June) get a TWP and work assuming your employer would be willing to wait.
Sounds much better.

I'm guessing TWP comes with the PNP then? Or do I still have to apply for that after receiving the letter from them?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you get the support letter and with that and some money and I am not sure whether you'll need your contract, too you go to the border and flagpole. Hop over and back and tell the border officer you have a PNP support letter and need a TWP. Not sure how the BC one works, in Ontario you are tied to the employer so have a word with them that you might have to stop working for a few weeks. Just apply for the visitor status early enough as your current permit has to still be valid when CIC receives the application and you know Canada post is snail mail .

You have to find out whether you can travel to the UK whilst waiting for CIC to decide on your visitor status or whether it's better apply online, activate it just a day or 2 before the IEC expires and then go to the UK and let the relatives spoil you whilst waiting for the PNP or stay in Canada and travel around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.