Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit expiring; PNP Processing

Work permit expiring; PNP Processing

Old Apr 12th 2019, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

ninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work permit expiring; PNP Processing

Hey folks. I'm in a bit of a jam and need advice.

My Ontario PNP application has taken longer than anticipated and has been the "Decision in Progress" stage for a while now. My work permit is due to expire in a few days. I was really banking on the OINP application being Approved before the work permit expired. The way I could have sent in an application via EE and benefited from Implied Status.

If my OINP is not approved in time, what are my options? I'm wondering...is it possible to submit under EE now and just add the Nomination later? Could I apply for a different sort of permit in the interim, and use that application to benefit from Implied Status? It's my own fault for not taking care of this sooner - like I say I really hoped to get the Nomination by now. Thanks so much for any advice!
Old Apr 13th 2019, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit expiring; PNP Processing

Originally Posted by ninespoons
Hey folks. I'm in a bit of a jam and need advice.

My Ontario PNP application has taken longer than anticipated and has been the "Decision in Progress" stage for a while now. My work permit is due to expire in a few days. I was really banking on the OINP application being Approved before the work permit expired. The way I could have sent in an application via EE and benefited from Implied Status.

If my OINP is not approved in time, what are my options? I'm wondering...is it possible to submit under EE now and just add the Nomination later? Could I apply for a different sort of permit in the interim, and use that application to benefit from Implied Status? It's my own fault for not taking care of this sooner - like I say I really hoped to get the Nomination by now. Thanks so much for any advice!
Applying for PR wouldn't have got you implied status - it's a different kind of app. But you could have applied for a BOWP if you'd got to a certain stage of the application.

What kind of work permit are you on now, is it an IEC or a 'normal' TWP with LMIA? And when did you apply for the OINP?

You can apply for EE now and add the nomination later, but that won't help - as above, you don't get implied status as you'd be moving from a work permit to PR so two different things.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

ninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Applying for PR wouldn't have got you implied status - it's a different kind of app. But you could have applied for a BOWP if you'd got to a certain stage of the application.

What kind of work permit are you on now, is it an IEC or a 'normal' TWP with LMIA? And when did you apply for the OINP?

You can apply for EE now and add the nomination later, but that won't help - as above, you don't get implied status as you'd be moving from a work permit to PR so two different things.
Damn, okay. I guess by you saying "could of" that the BOWP option is too late for me?

Yeah, it was a TWP w/ LMIA and I applied for OINP at the start January.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I said ‘could have’ (not could of!) because a BOWP is the only way to keep working when a work permit expires before getting PR. But you’re not yet at the stage of being able to apply for a BOWP, you’re too early. Once you e got your PR app submitted you could apply for one if your TWP hadn’t expired, but sadly that won’t apply to you.

Which OINP stream did you apply under? And would your employer apply for another LMIA?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 13th 2019 at 7:26 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

I said ‘could have’ (not could of!)

My mistake!

because a BOWP is the only way to keep working when a work permit expires before getting PR. But you’re not yet at the stage of being able to apply for a BOWP, you’re too early. Once you e got your PR app submitted you could apply for one if your TWP hadn’t expired, but sadly that won’t apply to you.

Which OINP stream did you apply under? And would your employer apply for another LMIA?
Could I potentially submit my PR app right away and apply for the BOWP now? Then add the nomination letter after. My TWP hasn't expired just yet - it still has a few days on it.

I applied under Foreign Worker Stream. There is a very small chance i could get another LMIA - but doesn't the processing for that take months?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you received an Express Entry ITA?

Separately (i.e. not connected to the above):
Regarding an LMIA based WP: if your employer has actually submitted the LMIA Application and your WP is within 2 weeks of expiry, you may submit a WP Application. IRCC will.hold the Application for 60 days to allow for LMIA Processing. Of course the LMIA may not be processed in that timeframe.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 13th 2019 at 10:26 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

No ITA yet, no.

Ok that's interesting to note about the LMIA. I will check with my employer tomorrow.

Would another option be to just apply for visitor status and not work until I get the nomination?