Work Permit

Old Jul 12th 2002, 7:08 am
Just Joined

SNIDER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit

Hi,

Desperately seeking advice!

My spouse (Canadian) has just been offered a position back in Canada and we would like to move as soon as possible. However, I am a British citizen and as yet have not started my PR application. Our big problem is that it isn't financially possible for us to live on his salary alone at the moment and the prospect of spending 10-15 mths apart is not an option we'd like to consider.

It is my understanding that if I secure a job offer that is approved by HRDC, then I am eligable to gain a temporary work permit. However, I have not come across one employer willing to offer me a job without this work permit. Catch 22! Is there ANY way that we can overcome this problem?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:20 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Work Permit

Your husband can sponsor you from within Canada if you get admission. Sponsored
within Canada spouses are eligible for open Work Permit.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"SNIDER" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Desperately seeking advice!
    >
    > My spouse (Canadian) has just been offered a position back in Canada and we would
    > like to move as soon as possible. However, I am a British citizen and as yet have
    > not started my PR application. Our big problem is that it isn't financially
    > possible for us to live on his salary alone at the moment and the prospect of
    > spending 10-15 mths apart is not an option we'd like to consider.
    >
    > It is my understanding that if I secure a job offer that is approved by HRDC, then
    > I am eligable to gain a temporary work permit. However, I have not come across one
    > employer willing to offer me a job without this work permit. Catch 22! Is there ANY
    > way that we can overcome this problem?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 12th 2002, 3:20 pm
Al Bennett

"Andrew Miller" <millercitelus.net> wrote in message
    >Your husband can sponsor you from within Canada if you get >admission.
Sponsored within Canada spouses are eligible for open >Work Permit.
    >
    >Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia

Andrew, Hi. Have been lurking here for a while and picking up some valuable bits and
pieces of information and interpretations/explanations of Government speak from both
yourself and the other handful of unbiased, informative posters. This particular
subject still, however, confuses us, as we keep getting opposing answers. We are
being told that a "in-Canada" spousal application means the person being sponsored
for entry can only obtain permission to work while the application is being processed
only *if* there has been 12 months of cohabitation in Canada between the two people
concerned. Without that condition being met, no permit can be granted. Which version
is true ?!??!?! The other point we can't find an answer for via the CIC or other
means is a clarification on the signing of the social welfare waiver by both parties
that extends for three years after landing. If the Canadian resident (i.e. - the
Sponsorer!) for some reason becomes unemployed, does the signing of the not obtaining
social welfare agreement extend to unemployment benefits? Cheers & Regards.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 3:20 pm
Andrew Miller

If sponsored from within Canada person meets the definition the in Canada class then
s/he can obtain Work Permit. Minimum 1 year cohabitation (in Canada or abroad) to
meet the definition is required only for common-law spouses, partners and conjugal
partners, not for legally married people.

As for unemployed insurance benefits - they are not a welfare nor other social
support payments.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Al Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Andrew Miller" <millercitelus.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >Your husband can sponsor you from within Canada if you get >admission.
    > Sponsored within Canada spouses are eligible for open >Work Permit.
    > >
    > >Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia
    >
    > Andrew, Hi. Have been lurking here for a while and picking up some valuable bits
    > and pieces of information and interpretations/explanations of Government speak from
    > both yourself and the other handful of unbiased, informative posters. This
    > particular subject still, however, confuses us, as we keep getting opposing
    > answers. We are being told that a "in-Canada" spousal application means the person
    > being sponsored for entry can only obtain permission to work while the application
    > is being processed only *if* there has been 12 months of cohabitation in Canada
    > between the two people concerned. Without that condition being met, no permit can
    > be granted. Which version is true ?!??!?! The other point we can't find an answer
    > for via the CIC or other means is a clarification on the signing of the social
    > welfare waiver by both parties that extends for three years after landing. If the
    > Canadian resident (i.e. - the Sponsorer!) for some reason becomes unemployed, does
    > the signing of the not obtaining social welfare agreement extend to unemployment
    > benefits? Cheers & Regards.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

SNIDER is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information, it's most appreciated. However, I do have some further questions relating, if you find the time to reply;

1. What is the procedure for applying for the open work permit?

2. Are there specific forms I should know about?

3. Generally speaking how long does it take to obtain?

Again, many thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 6:20 am
Pmm

Hi Snider

"SNIDER" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the information, it's most appreciated. However, I do have some further
    > questions relating, if you find the time to reply;
    >
    > 1. What is the procedure for applying for the open work permit?

Once the application has been accepted to processed in Canada you can apply for the
open work permit. About 2/3 months after application.
    >
    > 2. Are there specific forms I should know about?

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visitor.html
    >
    > 3. Generally speaking how long does it take to obtain?

About 30 days after application and paying fee.
    >
    > Again, many thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Cailin
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

PMM