Work Permit - 5 Questions!

Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:43 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough
Default Work Permit - 5 Questions!

Wifey has been offered a nursing job in Alberta, and we are awaiting LMO.

1. I will apply for an open work permit at the same time. As it will be non childcare / medical, I presume me (and 2 under fives small children) will not require a medical? It will only be her that requires one?

2. Eldest son will start school in Alberta, but not until September 2007. Should we apply for Study permit at the same time, or wait until he is old enough to start school and the apply once in Alberta?

3. Do we just pay a single Work Permit fee? Or as I will be applying for an open one, do I pay the same amount for that one also?

4. We intend shipping all out belongings out to follow us. Do we complete a "Goods to Follow" list as if we were Landing with a Permanent Visa?

5. Do you "land" s a temporary permit holder? Hopefully Med Requests for our PR (skilled Worker Feb 2005) will follow in the next 12 months. Do we Land again if granted a visa?

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit - 5 Questions!

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
Wifey has been offered a nursing job in Alberta, and we are awaiting LMO.

1. I will apply for an open work permit at the same time. As it will be non childcare / medical, I presume me (and 2 under fives small children) will not require a medical? It will only be her that requires one?

2. Eldest son will start school in Alberta, but not until September 2007. Should we apply for Study permit at the same time, or wait until he is old enough to start school and the apply once in Alberta?

3. Do we just pay a single Work Permit fee? Or as I will be applying for an open one, do I pay the same amount for that one also?

4. We intend shipping all out belongings out to follow us. Do we complete a "Goods to Follow" list as if we were Landing with a Permanent Visa?

5. Do you "land" s a temporary permit holder? Hopefully Med Requests for our PR (skilled Worker Feb 2005) will follow in the next 12 months. Do we Land again if granted a visa?

Thanks
1. Yes

2. Study permit is not reuired for dependant children in Alberta. At the airport, immigration told us that we didn't need one.

3. $150 for each of you

4. All you need is the lists that your packers should give you. A nice little loophole for us work permit holders as was pointed out to me by customs when we landed. They just stamp the l

5. Yep, you have to leave the country and land again.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Posidrive
1. Yes

2. Study permit is not reuired for dependant children in Alberta. At the airport, immigration told us that we didn't need one.

3. $150 for each of you

4. All you need is the lists that your packers should give you. A nice little loophole for us work permit holders as was pointed out to me by customs when we landed. They just stamp the l

5. Yep, you have to leave the country and land again.
You should note that if you receive PR status, you would require a goods list as with a work permit you are only importing your goods temporarily. So keep that packing list.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:01 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for both your help.

Nick
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You should note that if you receive PR status, you would require a goods list as with a work permit you are only importing your goods temporarily. So keep that packing list.
So my question is hubby going around 6 months earlier than me and he is the one with the WP is it me or him who brings a goods to follow
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
So my question is hubby going around 6 months earlier than me and he is the one with the WP is it me or him who brings a goods to follow
I suppose that it adepends upon when you are gaving the goods shipped, since youve to show the list at customs in order to held of your goods. I arrived 6 months before my family. Were brought the list when my family landed, since it had only been packed 2 days earlier.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I suppose that it adepends upon when you are gaving the goods shipped, since youve to show the list at customs in order to held of your goods. I arrived 6 months before my family. Were brought the list when my family landed, since it had only been packed 2 days earlier.

Thats what i thought
thanx posi
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Thats what i thought
thanx posi
I'm amazed that you understood what I typed I really must remember my reading glasses when I come to work