Work Experience Advice/ Opinion

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Experience Advice/ Opinion

Hi Team

I am preparing my 90 day letter documentation which is due back at CHC in Early May.

I have managed to obtain most of my documentation but two of my previous employers have refused outright to supply me with letters lisiting what duties I performed in my previous jobs.

One employer has given me a letter confirming my job title and time I was there but says that because the position no longer exists and becuase they no longer hold a description they will not say what duties I did.

Another employer has given me payslips but says they will not provide a letter saying what duties I did. To try and counter this I have pulled of a job advert/description of their website. The most annoying thing is that this Employer was in Canada.

My question is has anyone else had similar problems obtaining such information? And how did CHC react to their work experience information if the HR departments had not provided letters listing duties?

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated .

James
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:26 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Experience Advice/ Opinion

To assist the process of gathering documentation like that, when I contacted previous employers I sent them a copy of the job description/duties as I best remembered them, and asked them to confirm it's accuracy or amend as they saw fit. For those that had no interest in going out of their way to help, it saved them some bother. Some just pasted it onto their letter head, others sent a confirmation of accuracy. CHC seemed happy enough.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:13 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
To assist the process of gathering documentation like that, when I contacted previous employers I sent them a copy of the job description/duties as I best remembered them, and asked them to confirm it's accuracy or amend as they saw fit. For those that had no interest in going out of their way to help, it saved them some bother. Some just pasted it onto their letter head, others sent a confirmation of accuracy. CHC seemed happy enough.
Thanks Rich

The problem I have is the one employer has said they will only confirm proven facts and have now categorically sent me two emails saying they will not confirm my duties because they have no records of them??? I have sent them a letter I wrote myself and asked them to stick it on a letterhead. I was thinking of forwarding their responses on onto CHC with my info to show the effort that I have gone to.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:44 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Thanks Rich

The problem I have is the one employer has said they will only confirm proven facts and have now categorically sent me two emails saying they will not confirm my duties because they have no records of them??? I have sent them a letter I wrote myself and asked them to stick it on a letterhead. I was thinking of forwarding their responses on onto CHC with my info to show the effort that I have gone to.
Are you in contact with your line manager or any co-workers? As a last resort you could list your own duties and have someone who knew you while you worked there write a letter or sign a declaration stating that your list is accurate.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Are you in contact with your line manager or any co-workers? As a last resort you could list your own duties and have someone who knew you while you worked there write a letter or sign a declaration stating that your list is accurate.
That's what I have done with one of the jobs. I am hoping that is enough with the payslips. The problem is the other job was 8 years ago so everyone has moved on. The HR women has been a real battle axe and refused my request twice even though I have explained the severity of her actions. It's amazing how being a jobsworth can get in the way of human decency.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:22 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I have done with one of the jobs. I am hoping that is enough with the payslips. The problem is the other job was 8 years ago so everyone has moved on. The HR women has been a real battle axe and refused my request twice even though I have explained the severity of her actions. It's amazing how being a jobsworth can get in the way of human decency.
Are you familiar with Catbert - the evil HR director in the Dilbert cartoons? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catbert

I quote: With the help of his "random policy generator", he comes up with sadistic, illogical and often evil policies to enforce on the employees, such as permanently branding employees, banning coffee drinking in the office, requiring employees to schedule sick time before they actually get sick, and making time spent in the bathroom count as "vacation."

Perhaps the person you are dealing with is the real Catbert?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:29 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Team

I am preparing my 90 day letter documentation which is due back at CHC in Early May.

I have managed to obtain most of my documentation but two of my previous employers have refused outright to supply me with letters lisiting what duties I performed in my previous jobs.

One employer has given me a letter confirming my job title and time I was there but says that because the position no longer exists and becuase they no longer hold a description they will not say what duties I did.

Another employer has given me payslips but says they will not provide a letter saying what duties I did. To try and counter this I have pulled of a job advert/description of their website. The most annoying thing is that this Employer was in Canada.

My question is has anyone else had similar problems obtaining such information? And how did CHC react to their work experience information if the HR departments had not provided letters listing duties?

James

I had similar issues. One didnt have records at all, then I was self-employed for a long time too. Of a 20 year career I had bits and pieces covering probably 60%-70% and the rest was "circumstantial" such as pay stubs.
I think they look at the big picture. I was able to provide degree certificates so maybe they forgave my deficiencies on the job front on that basis.

Every case is different. Obviously a 20 year career will have more bits of paper lying around than a 5 year one.

When I researched this the take-home was it didnt matter if the employer had no record so long as the employer said why. Mine said records on the HR system didnt go back to 1990 so in that case it was clear my paystubs were all I could offer instead.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:50 am
Just Joined

tEmPoTapE is on a distinguished road

Hi Team

James
James
Just make your own CV and list down your jib duties plus NOC code, and attach it with Exp. Cert.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Are you familiar with Catbert - the evil HR director in the Dilbert cartoons? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catbert

I quote: With the help of his "random policy generator", he comes up with sadistic, illogical and often evil policies to enforce on the employees, such as permanently branding employees, banning coffee drinking in the office, requiring employees to schedule sick time before they actually get sick, and making time spent in the bathroom count as "vacation."

Perhaps the person you are dealing with is the real Catbert?
Yes. I have come across two too many Catbert's in this process!!!!
I have always viewed HR people as pointless administrators but now I view them as pointless administrators who inflate their self worth by refusing to help others when they can actually supply something of value.

Thanks for all your tips team. I have all of my other documents now so I will be working hard on everything this weekend and submitting next week. I will supply everything I have and hopefully with one really unhelpful employer being the only descrepancy common sense will prevail.