work experience.

Old Jan 11th 2002, 3:41 pm
Gl

Jonathan, very glad to see your reply. I would like to say thank you first. The
problem is I don't have arranged employment. I'm working on the bank is outside
Canada. I need my volunteer experience being counted as working experience, it would
add up to 4 year working exp, which would allow me to get 5 more pts, by then, I will
be getting 81 pts. If my volunteer job in University is not being counted, I only
have 76 pts.

Lets show my situation: Age -- > 10 pts Education --> 20 pts (Bachelor) Language -->
16 pts (fluent in Eng) Work Exp --> 20/25 ***(they count me 3 or 4 yrs?)*** Arranged
employment -- > 0 pts Adaptability --> 10 pts (spouse degree + degree obtained in
Canada + aunt in Canada)

Best Regards Johnny

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 12th 2002, 12:51 am
Berto Volpentesta

When are you counting experience from? And, what date are you using as = the
application date? Perhaps you can wait to file if you have not = filed already.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
first.
    >
bank is
    >
working
    >
me to
    >
in
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
aunt in
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > 1) Fluency in English: How would they judge my fluency in English? =[/usenetquote2]
Would
[usenetquote2]> > there be any test that I have to write? I had been living in =[/usenetquote2]
Canada
[usenetquote2]> > for 7 yrs and got my degree from U of Toronto, is it sufficient =[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > prove my English ability?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan: You may consider your schooling as an significant =[/usenetquote2]
indication
[usenetquote2]> > to prove fluency of your English. Anyhow, an immigration officer may decide if it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is necessary to test your English.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience =[/usenetquote2]
as a
[usenetquote2]> > programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my university for one semester (winter term). =[/usenetquote2]
However,
[usenetquote2]> > the reference letter from my university only states that I have worked for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > them for the past winter as a programmer and briefly describes the job[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > description. Is it sufficient to prove this as =[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > valid work experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan: When you worked for an investment bank under employment authorization,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that means you have arranged employment. Through my assessment of your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > background, you may at least be awarded 81 points excluding the volunteer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Say that 10 points for your age, 20 points for your education (Bachelor's),20[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > points for your 3 yrs experience, 10 points for arranged employment, 16 points[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for English, 5 points for at least =[/usenetquote2]
two
[usenetquote2]> > yrs of studies in Canada. Are you married? Do you have a blood =[/usenetquote2]
relative
[usenetquote2]> > in Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You're qualified for the new system.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan Fon http://pages.sprint.ca/Can_Immigration[/usenetquote2]

>

Old Jan 12th 2002, 6:45 am
Gl

Hi !! I have finished my degree in Dec 1997, (whereas my student visa was valid until
June 1998). So I stayed in Canada until June 98 and worked for the university as a
volunteer programmer as I couldn't get a paid job under my student visa status. In
June 98, I returned to my home country and got a permanent job offer in Oct 98 as a
programmer. Thus, the half year volunteer work exp is very critical for me to get 5
more pts. I am thinking of submitting the application now (coz I don't want to wait
too long) since I am only lacking few month exp. I hope that they will still consider
my application. Actually, my wife and I have very similar background, we both got our
degree from U of Toronto, and have 3+ working exp in toppest Investment Banks. We
have relatives in Canada, and have been living there for 7 years. Besides, we have
CDN80,000 cash reserves to settle. I hope that Canada gov't would consider us as
their target group of people.

When are you counting experience from? And, what date are you using as the
application date? Perhaps you can wait to file if you have not filed already.

--
Good luck,

www.svcanada.com

>
first.
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
in
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > 1) Fluency in English: How would they judge my fluency in English? Would there be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > any test that I have to write? I had been living in Canada for 7 yrs and got[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my degree from U of Toronto, is it sufficient to prove my English ability?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan: You may consider your schooling as an significant indication to prove[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > fluency of your English. Anyhow, an immigration officer may decide if it is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > necessary to test your English.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my university for one semester (winter term). However, the reference letter[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from my university only states that I have worked for them for the past winter[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as a programmer and briefly describes the job description. Is it sufficient to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > prove this as a valid work experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan: When you worked for an investment bank under employment authorization,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that means you have arranged employment. Through my assessment of your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > background, you may at least be awarded 81 points excluding the volunteer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Say that 10 points for your age, 20 points for your education (Bachelor's),20[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > points for your 3 yrs experience, 10 points for arranged employment, 16 points[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for English, 5 points for at least two yrs of studies in Canada. Are you married?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Do you have a blood relative in Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You're qualified for the new system.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan Fon http://pages.sprint.ca/Can_Immigration[/usenetquote2]

>

Old Jan 12th 2002, 2:17 pm
Berto Volpentesta

Seems to me that if you meet the definition for work, that is, you have = performed
the duties in the title, a significant number of the main = duties and all the
essential duties, that you should be able to count = volunteer work.

In any event it seems absurd that a person who has studied and worked in = Canada and
has a similar spouse would not be able to pass, yet there it =
is.

Perhaps discretion would go your way. If nothing else changes.

--=20 Good luck,

All opinions expressed are IMHO, not anyone else's

www.svcanada.com

>
valid
    >
the
    >
under my
    >
got a
    >
    >
    >
wait
    >
will
    >
similar
    >
working
    >
have been
    >
    >
group of
    >
    >

>
as the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan, very glad to see your reply. I would like to say thank you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > The problem is I don't have arranged employment. I'm working on the =[/usenetquote2]
bank
    >
[usenetquote2]> > outside Canada. I need my volunteer experience being counted as =[/usenetquote2]
working
[usenetquote2]> > experience, it would add up to 4 year working exp, which would allow =[/usenetquote2]
me to
[usenetquote2]> > get 5 more pts, by then, I will be getting 81 pts. If my volunteer =[/usenetquote2]
job in
[usenetquote2]> > University is not being counted, I only have 76 pts.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Lets show my situation: Age -- > 10 pts Education --> 20 pts (Bachelor) Language[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --> 16 pts (fluent in Eng) Work Exp --> 20/25 ***(they count me 3 or 4 yrs?)***[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Arranged employment -- > 0 pts Adaptability --> 10 pts (spouse degree + degree[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > obtained in Canada + =[/usenetquote2]
aunt
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Canada)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Best Regards Johnny[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > 1) Fluency in English: How would they judge my fluency in English? =[/usenetquote2]
Would
[usenetquote2]> > > there be any test that I have to write? I had been living in =[/usenetquote2]
Canada
[usenetquote2]> > > for 7 yrs and got my degree from U of Toronto, is it sufficient =[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > prove my English ability?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Jonathan: You may consider your schooling as an significant =[/usenetquote2]
indication
[usenetquote2]> > > to prove fluency of your English. Anyhow, an immigration officer =[/usenetquote2]
may
[usenetquote2]> > > decide if it is necessary to test your English.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience =[/usenetquote2]
as a
[usenetquote2]> > > programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for my university for one semester (winter term). =[/usenetquote2]
However,
[usenetquote2]> > > the reference letter from my university only states that I have worked for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > them for the past winter as a programmer and briefly describes the job[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > description. Is it sufficient to prove this =[/usenetquote2]
as a
[usenetquote2]> > > valid work experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Jonathan: When you worked for an investment bank under employment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > authorization, that means you have arranged employment. Through my assessment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > of your background, you may at least be awarded 81 =[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > excluding the volunteer experience.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Say that 10 points for your age, 20 points for your education (Bachelor's),20[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > points for your 3 yrs experience, 10 points for arranged employment, 16 points[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for English, 5 points for at least =[/usenetquote2]
two
[usenetquote2]> > > yrs of studies in Canada. Are you married? Do you have a blood =[/usenetquote2]
relative
[usenetquote2]> > > in Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > You're qualified for the new system.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Jonathan Fon http://pages.sprint.ca/Can_Immigration[/usenetquote2]

>

Old Jan 12th 2002, 5:04 pm
Pmm

Hi Berto

Seems to me that if you meet the definition for work, that is, you have performed the
duties in the title, a significant number of the main duties and all the essential
duties, that you should be able to count volunteer work.

In any event it seems absurd that a person who has studied and worked in Canada and
has a similar spouse would not be able to pass, yet there it is.

Perhaps discretion would go your way. If nothing else changes.

--
Good luck,

All opinions expressed are IMHO, not anyone else's

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
been
    >
    >
of
    >
    >
[snipped]

It should be noted that only AUTHORIZED work experience in Canada will be counted in
the proposed regulations. If GL did not have an employment authorization for the
volunteer work, it won't be counted.

PMM