work experience

Old Jan 9th 2002, 3:06 pm
Gl

Hi!! Good Morning!!

I have two questions in regarding the new reg.

1) Fluency in English How would they judge my fluency in English? Would there be any
test that I have to write? I had been living in Canada for 7 yrs and got my degree
from U of Toronto, is it sufficient to prove my English ability?

2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience as a programmer in
an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer for my university for
one semester (winter term). However, the reference letter from my university only
states that I have worked for them for the past winter as a programmer and briefly
describes the job description. Is it sufficient to prove this as a valid work
experiences.

Thank you for your time taking. Johnny

Old Jan 9th 2002, 4:04 pm
Tore Voldbekk

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
from
    >

Yes. Most likely.

>
    >
university
    >
    >
a
    >
    >

Why don't you get a letter from the Investment Bank?

--
Tore Voldbekk Webmaster http://www.lovelylove.org For those who like girls

Old Jan 9th 2002, 11:48 pm
Gl

Very glad to see your reply.

I do have a detailed reference letter from the investment bank that I am working for
currently.

However, I only have 3 yr and 4 months experience at the inv. bank. If my
volunteer is being

counted as working experience, it would add up to 4 year working exp, which would
allow me to

get 5 more pts, by then, I will be getting 81 pts. If my volunteer job @
University is not

being counted, I only have 76 pts.

The reference letter from my University did not state

briefly state how many hours I worked each week and clearly specify the period
that I worked

for. The reference letter only states I have worked for them over the past
winter term as a

member of an eight person research team and I have wrote and designed a
program for them.

Could u pls advise whether the ref. letter from the university is sufficient to prove
my working

experience since this half year experience is very critical to jump from pt
76 to pt 81.

>

[usenetquote2]> > Hi!! Good Morning!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have two questions in regarding the new reg.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) Fluency in English How would they judge my fluency in English? Would there be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > any test that[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > have to write? I had been living in Canada for 7 yrs and got my degree[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > U of Toronto, is it sufficient to prove my English ability?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for my[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for one semester (winter term). However, the reference letter from my university[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > only states that I have worked for them for the past winter[/usenetquote2]
as
    >
[usenetquote2]> > programmer and briefly describes the job description. Is it sufficient[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > prove this as a valid work experiences.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Jonathan Fon is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Fluency in English: How would they judge my fluency in English? Would there be any test that I have to write? I had been living in Canada for 7 yrs and got my degree
from U of Toronto, is it sufficient to prove my English ability?

Jonathan: You may consider your schooling as an significant indication to prove fluency of your English. Anyhow, an immigration officer may decide if it is necessary to test your English.

2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience as a programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer for my university for
one semester (winter term). However, the reference letter from my university only states that I have worked for them for the past winter as a programmer and briefly
describes the job description. Is it sufficient to prove this as a valid work
experiences.

Jonathan: When you worked for an investment bank under employment authorization, that means you have arranged employment. Through my assessment of your background, you may at least be awarded 81 points excluding the volunteer experience.

Say that 10 points for your age, 20 points for your education (Bachelor's),20 points for your 3 yrs experience, 10 points for arranged employment, 16 points for English, 5 points for at least two yrs of studies in Canada. Are you married? Do you have a blood relative in Canada?

You're qualified for the new system.

Old Jan 10th 2002, 10:44 am
Berto Volpentesta

The new rules allow the minister to designate a method for determining = language
ability. It is already defined as a level of proficiency. = There are several tests
out there that can be done such as TOFEL and = IELTS. It seems to me that the most
likely candidate would be IELTS.

Also, if you have been educated in English and have taken english as a = subject,
then these would be indicators of level as well.

Work experience is defined as full time or equivalent. Full time is =
37.5 hours per week. Once would normally expect that work indicated = getting paid.
This seems to be rationale of Immigration as well since = they have revised their
attitude towards those "volunteering" in Canada = while on visitor permits.

It used to be argued that if the volunteer work was part of a course, = then you
would not have been qualified until you got your degree. Now = with no attachment of
education to occupation, it will be interesting to = see how officers get their minds
around this issue.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

"Tore Voldbekk" <[email protected]> wrote in =

>

[usenetquote2]> > Hi!! Good Morning!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have two questions in regarding the new reg.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) Fluency in English How would they judge my fluency in English? Would there be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > any test =[/usenetquote2]
that I
[usenetquote2]> > have to write? I had been living in Canada for 7 yrs and got my =[/usenetquote2]
degree
    >
[usenetquote2]> > U of Toronto, is it sufficient to prove my English ability?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Working Experience I have obtained 3 yr and 4 months experience as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > programmer in an investment bank. Also, I worked as a volunteer programmer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for my[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for one semester (winter term). However, the reference letter from =[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> > university only states that I have worked for them for the past =[/usenetquote2]
winter as
    >
[usenetquote2]> > programmer and briefly describes the job description. Is it =[/usenetquote2]
sufficient to
[usenetquote2]> > prove this as a valid work experiences.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 11th 2002, 3:20 pm
Gl

Jonathan, very glad to see your reply. I would like to say thank you first. The
problem is I don't have arranged employment. I'm working on the bank is outside
Canada. I need my volunteer experience being counted as working experience, it would
add up to 4 year working exp, which would allow me to get 5 more pts, by then, I will
be getting 81 pts. If my volunteer job in University is not being counted, I only
have 76 pts.

Lets show my situation: Age -- > 10 pts Education --> 20 pts (Bachelor) Language -->
16 pts (fluent in Eng) Work Exp --> 20/25 ***(they count me 3 or 4 yrs?)*** Arranged
employment -- > 0 pts Adaptability --> 10 pts (spouse degree + degree obtained in
Canada + aunt in Canada)

Best Regards Johnny

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >