Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wld appreciate any advice on Work Visa for British GF

Wld appreciate any advice on Work Visa for British GF

Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

mattparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wld appreciate any advice on Work Visa for British GF

Hi,

I am Canadian, and perhaps I should know more (I have been looking at Immigration Wikis) but I would really appreciate any immigration advice for my 23 year old British girlfriend from those of you who know the system best by now...
We have a solid 3 year plus relationship, and definately plan to be married when we have our affairs more sorted, and yet our pond hopping exploits (if I am right) disqualify us from the technicality of the 12 month, lovey dovey common-law status...she has spent about 5 months of every year here, and then been back to complete uni

We were initially holding out for a student visa situation, as she was going to do a specialized post-grad course here that would (most likely) qualify her for a specialized job--but by misfortune this program has been delayed until late 2010...so now we need a VISA of some sort so she has option of working here while she "waits" to train and go to school...Your thoughts on best strategy?
Our initial inclination, from what I gather, is to file a claim at Canada House in London (an outport) for purposes of expedience

Thanks for any help

M
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice
Default Re: Wld appreciate any advice on Work Visa for British GF

Am not sure what you mean by an outport, but as a starting point have you looked into a BUNAC visa for her?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Yes, the Bunac seems like one option to take considering she is under 30...I suppose it is a way of literally buying time and the right to work, whilst making further plans
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattparker
Yes, the Bunac seems like one option to take considering she is under 30...I suppose it is a way of literally buying time and the right to work, whilst making further plans
It would give you more than that - it gives her a years open work permit which would mean she could live with you and then at the end of it you could apply to sponsor her under common-law partnership. Problem solved!

Only thing for you to be aware of is that applications for visas open in a few days time - so she'll need to get her skates on if she wants one as they all go pretty quickly I believe! Have a look at the Bunac website for info.

Good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

That's a good point, thanks
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

RobertoMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Can one apply for BUNAC now, or do you have to wait until applications are open? (the 10th i believe at midday)
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:59 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertoMan
Can one apply for BUNAC now, or do you have to wait until applications are open? (the 10th i believe at midday)
You have to wait until they're open