Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Will my wife lost US Citzenship after she moved to Canada with PR status? Help!

Will my wife lost US Citzenship after she moved to Canada with PR status? Help!

Old Jan 9th 2002, 1:34 pm
Andy Lee

HI,

I just married a US citizen, and I want her to move to Canada with me for at less 5
years (Because my parents both in Canada). So.. I am above to send in Application to
get her PR in Canada. Also! We would like to moving back to US after 5 years (Because
her family are in US).. Here are the questions

1) Will she lost her US Citizenship after she got PR in Canada? Not Canadian
Citizenship. No dual citizenship for US right?

2) What she needs to do to maintain her US Citizenship status while staying/working
in Canada?

3) Will she able to get me a green card within Canada? Do I need to do it myself? I
working in IT field and got BA in Computer Science. will that help?

4) Will she needs to go back to US to do all the applications?

5) Will she needs to pay US taxes for the income she earned in Canada?

Thank you for your reply!!!

Old Jan 9th 2002, 2:39 pm
LadyBug4u2ca

First consider what your legal status is in the USA. It will be much harder for you
to return if you don't have a green card, ( I think) and filing an I-130 for you and
getting all the paperwork done on the US side of the border just might take longer
than 4-5 years,

Ok all that said and done I am also a US citizen living in Canada with my Canadian
Husband and children. From the time we started the PR process to finally getting
landing papers took just over 2 years. Filed H&C in 7/97, AIP, 4/98 PR 9/99, all this
time I didn't work, but keep my visa up to date along with my children's.

I understand that after I had the AUP I could of applied for a work permit and then a
health card, however I choose to remain a@home mom. The company my husband worked for
covered the children and myself for medical coverage. I don't know about the rest of
Canada, but here in Quebec you can not obtain a drivers licenses until you have PR.

BTW your wife will not lose the US citizenship, even if she decides to become a
Canadian Citizen. She will have to file income taxes on both sides of the border, if
she works and only in Canada if she doesn't work. Canada will give her a temp. SSI #
for filling taxes. Look at it this way she will have all the responsibility of a PR
without any benefits.

I hope this helps, it was worth the wait and would not change a thing except for the
lengh of time it took to get our PR status.

LadyBug

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 9th 2002, 4:40 pm
Lynn Holden

Andy,

1- No, She will not lose Her U.S. Citizenship when She is granted PR in Canada. She
can even elect to apply for Canadian Citizenship in about 3 to 4 years after She
gains PR status and keep both passports. Canada recognizes Dual Citizenship, and the
U.S. just ignores the Canadian Citizenship, is about how it works.

2- There is nothing much to maintaining U.S. Citizenship. You have to formallly
renounce it to lose it. (other than committing a heinous crime, such as
treason....then it is an involved process)

3- Are you referring to getting you a U.S. green card while you are still in Canada?
For that I would refer you to http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/canamcouples a group for
Canadian Spouses of U.S. Citizens who are immigrating to the U.S. From what I read,
it is easier getting the work permit for the U.S. but a longer wait to gain Permanent
Alien status.

4- You can apply for PR for Her from Inside Canada while She lives with you there,
but the tricky part is getting Her into Canada initially. That process can take as
little as 6 months if She has an uncomplicated app with no criminal or medical
history to deal with. She cannot work while filing for PR from Inside Canada. You can
sponsor Her while She is living Outside Canada but the process takes several more
months and of course you will have to be apart for that time.

5- U.S. Citizens are supposed to file U.S.tax returns even if they are not earning
income in the U.S. In most cases, earnings in Canada will not be taxed in the U.S.,
but if you are thinking of a future return to the U.S., be sure She is current on
filing Her annual returns.

If you need further help, check my web page at: http://www.julyfood.com/immigration

I have links to a couple of groups that are for people like you who have married and
want to get their U.S. spouse into Canada.

Thanks Lynn

Andy Lee wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 12:54 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

First, she will never lose her US citizenship by taking up residence in another
country. She can stay abroad as long as she wishes, and she will still keep her US
citizenship.

Second. She can even become a Canadian citizen, if she wishes, and she will still
keep her US citizenship if her intention is to keep it. Contrary to popular belief
that US does allow dual citizenship. Visit http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ for more
information on this. By the way, I speak from personal experience myself. I am a US
citizen who moved to Canada in 1996. In 2000, I naturalized as a Canadian citizen,
and I now have citizenship in both countries.

>
    >

There is nothing special that she must do to maintain her US citizenship. One thing
that she must do, is continue to file US tax returns, even if she has no US sourced
income. US citizens are taxed by the US on their worldwide income, even if they do
not live in the US.

Note that she doesn't need to do this to maintain her citizenship. Like I said, she
doesn't have to do anything special to maintain her US citizenship. She will keep
it for life.

Stephen Gallagher