Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Will the embassy call previous employer for background check?

Will the embassy call previous employer for background check?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

dcliff99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Will the embassy call previous employer for background check?

Hi!

I just would like to ask anybody from this forum if they have already encountered or heard at least that the embassy called up one of the company/s as declared on the application where they had worked before? Do they performed this kind of action to ask for your background?

Please advise......thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:17 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will the embassy call previous employer for background check?

Yes, of course they do it, as it is a standard procedure when there are any doubts about claimed experience or presented reference letter. This is what background check is about.

Originally Posted by dcliff99
Hi!

I just would like to ask anybody from this forum if they have already encountered or heard at least that the embassy called up one of the company/s as declared on the application where they had worked before? Do they performed this kind of action to ask for your background?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Andrew,
When are they likely to do this in the overall process?
My current (and previous) employer does not know of my intentions, and it would probably put my position at risk if they were to find out.
I assume that they are just checking that the person was actually employed, and not looking for a reference as such? (My current boss can be a bit twisted )
CIC probably understand that, but better to be safe........
Kenny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:33 am

Background check usually starts around assessment stage of the application process. If for valid reason (other than convenience, embarrassment, etc.) you don't wish Canadian immigration to contact your current employer then you should have asked for discretion when you submitted application and explain your reasons. But previous employers? Are you kidding? Unfortunately too many applicants produce fake reference letters and force CIC to verify almost every employment claim.

It is not only about fact of being employed, it is also about what duties you performed and how many hours/week you really worked.

Applicants with well prepared cases and 100% conclusive supporting evidence (not just plain reference letter that anyone can print today at home) don't need to worry about verification calls.

Originally Posted by KennyJosie
Andrew,
When are they likely to do this in the overall process?
My current (and previous) employer does not know of my intentions, and it would probably put my position at risk if they were to find out.
I assume that they are just checking that the person was actually employed, and not looking for a reference as such? (My current boss can be a bit twisted )
CIC probably understand that, but better to be safe........
Kenny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Thanks Andrew,
The only reason I mentioned my previous employer is that the 2 companies deal with each other and as I'm well known @ both companies, it might put me in a difficult situation if they talk....... But I did ask for discretion for my current employer anyway!!!
I have been 100% honest through this whole process (I remember reading one of you posts where you you said something like "if you lie, they will find out!" (obviously paraphrasing here!) )
Just as a thought though...... my attorney has recieved my med requests, does this mean that the CIC are in the process of collecting the background check?
I suppose its the fact that we are actually moving in the process thats making me nervous about what may go wrong now (Forever the optimist)
Thanks for your input.

Kenny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcliff99
Hi!

Certainly not possible in my case, all 3 previous employers long since closed down and 2 of them have been knocked down and houses built.

Weren't aware of them contacting current company as i would have known, it's only small.
Had visas issued so obviously no problems on that side.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andrew,
The only reason I mentioned my previous employer is that the 2 companies deal with each other and as I'm well known @ both companies, it might put me in a difficult situation if they talk....... But I did ask for discretion for my current employer anyway!!!
I have been 100% honest through this whole process (I remember reading one of you posts where you you said something like "if you lie, they will find out!" (obviously paraphrasing here!) )
Just as a thought though...... my attorney has recieved my med requests, does this mean that the CIC are in the process of collecting the background check?
I suppose its the fact that we are actually moving in the process thats making me nervous about what may go wrong now (Forever the optimist)
Thanks for your input.

Kenny
Doesn't the med request generally mean that everything else has been sorted?

I don't think CIC approached my employers (rather unnecessary in my case).

For future reference, Passports Canada don't necessarily check references either, even though they say they will. Mine were not contacted.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:09 pm

If you applied through CHC London then your background check (not to confuse with security check) is well under way or already concluded.

Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Andrew,
I'd give you some Karma, but it's like Peanut butter (I have to spread it around!)
Ok so it wasn't that funny, but its late in the working day! lol
Kenny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

donwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant future

Producing the reference letters that CIC request is a farce in it's self . I have kept a reference letters from all employers over the years but had to ask each of them to rewrite new letters of reference providing the exact details that CIC require. So CIC will look at all my reference letters and see that they are almost identical in content where I could have provided them with more genuine independant reference letters. At least all my employers over the past 18 years are now aware that CIC may contact them
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

So how does this apply if you have been self employed. We have just recieved PNP thru my partner, but he has been self employed for the last few years, if you say CIC check your employers, how does it apply if your self employed? And do they still check your work background if your applying thru PNP.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:39 pm

Yes, visa post may contact previous employers even if it is a PNP case. PNP doesn't guarantee approval. How it works with self-employment experience? Similarly to regular employment - self-employed person must submit evidence (contracts, invoices, etc.) to prove experience anyway, thus there are employers to contact.

Originally Posted by chrisi65
So how does this apply if you have been self employed. We have just recieved PNP thru my partner, but he has been self employed for the last few years, if you say CIC check your employers, how does it apply if your self employed? And do they still check your work background if your applying thru PNP.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

dcliff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, visa post may contact previous employers even if it is a PNP case. PNP doesn't guarantee approval. How it works with self-employment experience? Similarly to regular employment - self-employed person must submit evidence (contracts, invoices, etc.) to prove experience anyway, thus there are employers to contact.
Hi!

Thanks for all your inputs....

Just a follow up question:

1. What will happen if they happen to call my previous employer that has not been in operation as of this moment? Are they not going to consider the number of years I worked with the company?

2. Will it be okay if I will not declare in my application one of my employer? I have been employed in the company for less than a year and Im not sure if they will provide a positive feedback to me if ever the embassy would make a background check on me?

Please advise.....