Wikiposts

On WHV - got job - what next!

Old May 1st 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Default On WHV - got job - what next!

Hi all

Firstly just want to thank this forum for the advice and information i had over the last year, especially a few who have given me valuable advice.

I came Canada in February on a WHV and activated it in Mid march and during that time after 300+ applications (kept track of each one, advisable) and many interviews I have landed a great job with a great company as a 'technical analyst'

The job is permanent although I am on a 3 month probation period i do not see this being a problem.

I am wondering whether it is possible to extend my WHV although I am now 32 or any other alternative?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2012, 5:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On WHV - got job - what next!

Firstly, congratulations on obtaining a job - I know how hard that can be!

Unfortunately, as you are 32 you are unable to apply for another IEC visa (unless you come from Ireland or Australia), however, you could see if your employers would be willing to apply for an LMO for you, then you could apply for a TWP and then perhaps for PR.

You should also look into the PNP route for PR - some Provinces require just a job offer, others require 6 months working for an employer, but that certainly may be an option for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Old May 1st 2012, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyN
I am wondering whether it is possible to extend my WHV although I am now 32 or any other alternative?
Nope. As per your previous threads, it's not possible. Have a re-read of this one which outlines your options quite well - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737047

Old May 10th 2012, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Firstly, congratulations on obtaining a job - I know how hard that can be!

Unfortunately, as you are 32 you are unable to apply for another IEC visa (unless you come from Ireland or Australia), however, you could see if your employers would be willing to apply for an LMO for you, then you could apply for a TWP and then perhaps for PR.

You should also look into the PNP route for PR - some Provinces require just a job offer, others require 6 months working for an employer, but that certainly may be an option for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Sorry about the late response but thanks for the reply.

Getting back into a working routine has been tough but im loving my work place at the moment.

Okay well this job is pretty much permanent, although I am at the moment on a 3 month probation period. Which brings me to the PNP - if I wait 6 months before applying that will take me to November and my current WHV runs out on 19th March 2013.

I am sure such applications take a long time - what would happen if by either the PNP or LMO route that I have still not received a decision by the time my WHV expires?
Old May 10th 2012, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Okay well this job is pretty much permanent, although I am at the moment on a 3 month probation period. Which brings me to the PNP - if I wait 6 months before applying that will take me to November and my current WHV runs out on 19th March 2013.

I am sure such applications take a long time - what would happen if by either the PNP or LMO route that I have still not received a decision by the time my WHV expires?
Which province are you in?

Remember that with PNP you usually get a work permit at first stage approval, so that would cover you until you get PR.

Congrats on the job.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which province are you in?

Remember that with PNP you usually get a work permit at first stage approval, so that would cover you until you get PR.

Congrats on the job.
Thanks Christmas,

I am in Ontario - Toronto.

My job is in the NOC list as I am a technical analyst, however from what i have read my employer will have to show that they could not find anyone else in Canada/Toronto who could do my job? Is that correct as there are many people who could do my job if i am honest.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I am in Ontario - Toronto.
Are you sure you need to have worked in the job for 6 months before eligible for PNP then? I didn't think that was a requirement for Ontario, only certain streams in other provinces such as Alberta.

My job is in the NOC list as I am a technical analyst, however from what i have read my employer will have to show that they could not find anyone else in Canada/Toronto who could do my job? Is that correct as there are many people who could do my job if i am honest.
No, not for a PNP application - that's only for a normal LMO/TWP. With a PNP, the TWP issued at first stage approval is exempt from needing a LMO.

HTH.

Old May 16th 2012, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, not for a PNP application - that's only for a normal LMO/TWP. With a PNP, the TWP issued at first stage approval is exempt from needing a LMO.
Though 12 months ago when I got one, there was much head-scratching at Peace Arch.. I showed them my Job Offer, my PNP Work Permit Support letter (WPSL) and they asked "Do you have any other documentation?" ".. well what would you like?.." "..."

BC PNP nomination pack didn't automatically issue a WPSL, I had to ask for one specifically. The letter says "This request is in accordance with subsection 204(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and pursuant to the instructions outlined in section 5.27 of the Foreign Worker Manual.", which helped.

Good luck
Old May 16th 2012, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duckman
Though 12 months ago when I got one, there was much head-scratching at Peace Arch.. I showed them my Job Offer, my PNP Work Permit Support letter (WPSL) and they asked "Do you have any other documentation?" ".. well what would you like?.." "..."

BC PNP nomination pack didn't automatically issue a WPSL, I had to ask for one specifically. The letter says "This request is in accordance with subsection 204(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and pursuant to the instructions outlined in section 5.27 of the Foreign Worker Manual.", which helped.

Good luck
Hey sorry to Hijack the thread but....

Duckman - looks like you are went the same route to us. We've just sent the CIC part of our application off and have our TWP until Feb 2013. How long did the WPSL take to come through? did you get it before hand for 'just in case' or did you run close to your expiry date and the apply for it? just want to be prepared as its doubtful we'll get PR before next Feb.

Thanks!
Old May 16th 2012, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
Hey sorry to Hijack the thread but....

Duckman - looks like you are went the same route to us. We've just sent the CIC part of our application off and have our TWP until Feb 2013. How long did the WPSL take to come through? did you get it before hand for 'just in case' or did you run close to your expiry date and the apply for it? just want to be prepared as its doubtful we'll get PR before next Feb.

Thanks!
I believe they won't give it to you until it's within 90 days of your BUNAC TWP expiring, so I would advise to contact them in mid November.