Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

RPRF. Right of Permanent residence fee - Which Bank?

RPRF. Right of Permanent residence fee - Which Bank?

Old May 15th 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice
Default RPRF. Right of Permanent residence fee - Which Bank?

Hi

Just wondered which banks anybody has used in order to pay their RPRF? Which bankers draft?

This is the is the bit that is causing confusion....

They wont accept Canadian dollar drafts where the “clearing bank” is not in Canada (check with your bank if you are unsure)

I have been in 2 seperate branches of Halifax, LLoydsTSB, Barclays and a HSBC

1st Halifax didnt have a clue what i was on about, 2nd said they could do it but the clearing bank was UK as there is no Halifax CA

1st Lloyds said yes they could do it, 2nd LLoyds, the woman phoned someone to check then said the LLoyds clearing bank was UK, Barclays say the same.

I cant use HSBC as i dont bank with them.

I know that other people have used Halifax, Lloyds etc but i didnt want to risk using either without clarifying first what other people have done.

Its took nearly my whole day today lol.

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPRF. Right of Permanent residence fee - Which Bank?

Originally Posted by rockspie
Hi

Just wondered which banks anybody has used in order to pay their RPRF? Which bankers draft?

This is the is the bit that is causing confusion....

They wont accept Canadian dollar drafts where the “clearing bank” is not in Canada (check with your bank if you are unsure)

I have been in 2 seperate branches of Halifax, LLoydsTSB, Barclays and a HSBC

1st Halifax didnt have a clue what i was on about, 2nd said they could do it but the clearing bank was UK as there is no Halifax CA

1st Lloyds said yes they could do it, 2nd LLoyds, the woman phoned someone to check then said the LLoyds clearing bank was UK, Barclays say the same.

I cant use HSBC as i dont bank with them.

I know that other people have used Halifax, Lloyds etc but i didnt want to risk using either without clarifying first what other people have done.

Its took nearly my whole day today lol.

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to get what you want from any bank.
|Ask for a bankers draft, drawn in Canadian dollars on their correspondent bank in Canada.
It has nothing to do with having a branch in Canada. If they have half a brain they should know what to do. They will get you a draft drawn in C$ on the Canadian bank that the UK bank deals with, it might be RBC, TD, Bank of Montreal or Bank Of Nova Scotia. It doesn't matter as long as the bank that it's drawn on in a Canadian bank.
I can't believe how dumb the "bankers" that you spoke to must be ! It's a simple transaction.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A caveat. It is a long time since I worked at a bank in The City but I doubt much has changed.

UK banks maintain accounts with correspondent banks around the world. When they issue a foreign currency draft it is drawn on that account in the country of the currency. When you look at the draft it might say UK BANK - LONDON in big letters but somewhere (it used to be at the top centre right) it will have the name and routing codes/account number of the Canadian correspondent bank.

That is what CIC want: a draft for, say, $1,500 that they can deposit and receive $1,500 straight away. They don't want a draft from the 7th National Bank of Back of Beyond that does not have a corresponding bank in Canada so they have to wait a month while it is cleared and pay $50 to negotiate its payment.

I will be extremely surprised if Halifax does not have such an arrangement and happily undertake to run naked, smothered in honey, through grizzly bear infested forests if Lloyds and Barclays do not.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Hi Rockspie, I have just read this and the question you asked in the other thread. I used the Halifax and had quite a bit of issue with going in to the branch however it arrived with all details on it.

First their clearing bank is in Toronto and they come under the Bank of Scotland but I think their clearing was a different one (honestly you really dont even have to worry about this at all). The details come automatically on the bank draft and dont worry about what they say over the counter. I had a few problems with them not understanding what I was talking about and someone in the other post suggested phoning to order it (have since discovered Halifax have an international section - perhaps phone them). I asked for a bank draft in canadian dollars and that was fine but it was the clearing bank details that really threw them. Just ignore what they say as it is on the draft. Also when they ask you for an address for the Receiver General of Canada (they insisted on this to me however may be different for you), you may have to just tell them its going through the London address and give them that but that the only thing you want written on the draft is Receiver General for Canada.

Have a look at the other thread because I got some great help and advice on there. Sorry for late reply - dont have internet access at work. Good luck
Old May 15th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I will be extremely surprised if Halifax does not have such an arrangement and happily undertake to run naked, smothered in honey, through grizzly bear infested forests if Lloyds and Barclays do not.
They dont!! Have checked, so better start heading for that forest Kidding!

So, I thought I should check the draft I got. The Halifax come under the Bank of Scotland, however the draft comes through Lloyds TSB and the clearing bank is the Bank of Nova Scotia, King St West, Toronto. All details on the draft and in the letter they send advising you of your order (like a receipt really).

Once you get past the counter/tellers/branch managers, its plain sailing from there. Arrived very quickly also. Again - good luck - it really can be done , just frustrating at the counter level .
Old May 15th 2012, 7:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
They dont!! Have checked, so better start heading for that forest Kidding!
As those who have met me can verify, the fact that I undertook to run at all was proof of my confidence.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

I tell ya something, I never want to hear the worrds Bankers draft, Clearing bank, International etc etc etc lol

I canr believe how stressful its been trying to find someone who knows their job lol.

Anyway Ive ordered one today from Barclays should be hear tomorrow so finders crossed its correct lol
Old May 16th 2012, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rockspie
I tell ya something, I never want to hear the worrds Bankers draft, Clearing bank, International etc etc etc lol

I canr believe how stressful its been trying to find someone who knows their job lol.

Anyway Ive ordered one today from Barclays should be hear tomorrow so finders crossed its correct lol
for you. I really do know what you mean. Hopefully it will all be over by tomorrow Good luck
Old May 17th 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Violet, Ive just heard from someone who got theirs from Barclays and it was all fine ....Phew lol