Who the hell.....th cares anyway?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Tartan Flyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who the hell.....th cares anyway?

Can anyone explain how the health care system works in Canada, is it like the UK NHS system or more like the US one?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:23 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who the hell.....th cares anyway?

This sums it up as well as ... or rather better than .... I could!

http://www.canadian-healthcare.org/

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 12th 2007 at 1:28 am.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Tartan Flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
This sums it up as well as ... or rather better than .... I could!

http://www.canadian-healthcare.org/
Thanks Morwenna, just what I was looking for.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

In some areas there is quite a shortage of "family doctors" who are taking new patients.

They do, however, have "walk-in clinics" where you can turn up without an appointment (usually) and present your health card to see a doctor. These can be very busy at certain times, and you may wait an hour or two before you can be seen, but it's better than nothing and there is no charge if you are a PR or citizen.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In some areas there is quite a shortage of "family doctors" who are taking new patients.

They do, however, have "walk-in clinics" where you can turn up without an appointment (usually) and present your health card to see a doctor. These can be very busy at certain times, and you may wait an hour or two before you can be seen, but it's better than nothing and there is no charge if you are a PR or citizen.
Plus, as an additional bonus it gives you a great opportunity to be exposed to a variety of other conditions to help build up your immunity...or get sick with something else anyway
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:29 pm
little snowy owl

I guess so.

My lad is sick atm. Had a headache since Weds and high fever since Thursday. No other flu symptoms but a stiff neck. I took him to the walk-in clinic Saturday (as our doctors office was closed), where he was checked out and told he has a "fluey virus". Since then his fever has not abated and he has been sick several times. I thought I'd take him to our doctor today, so have taken time off work to do so, ..... "doctors office opens at 9.15" So I call at 9.15 ... "doctor is away from the office til tomorrow, do you want an appt for tomorrow pm?"

So now I don't know whether I should wait and see Dr tomorrow .... (lose another days pay?), or go back to the walk-in today. .... ho-hum.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess so.

My lad is sick atm. Had a headache since Weds and high fever since Thursday. No other flu symptoms but a stiff neck. I took him to the walk-in clinic Saturday (as our doctors office was closed), where he was checked out and told he has a "fluey virus". Since then his fever has not abated and he has been sick several times. I thought I'd take him to our doctor today, so have taken time off work to do so, ..... "doctors office opens at 9.15" So I call at 9.15 ... "doctor is away from the office til tomorrow, do you want an appt for tomorrow pm?"

So now I don't know whether I should wait and see Dr tomorrow .... (lose another days pay?), or go back to the walk-in today. .... ho-hum.
Stiff neck is a concern. If it gets worse or if there is a rash too dont be afraid to seek medical attention again. I have learned you have to be a "strong advocate" for your kids healthcare here. My daughter has had a fever for 3 or 4 days now, after two doctor trips "Strep throat" was a contender, so shes on Anitbiotics and seems a little better today. No real sysmptoms, but I had it last week, so they think its an option. The pharmacist said it was "rampant" at the moment around here.

Our new doctor is part of a health group or network where they cover for each others absences and there is a doctor on call to make triage decisions at all times and see patients if necessary...thats what led us to Emerg for a second opinion of Saturday.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:05 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by iaink
Stiff neck is a concern. If it gets worse or if there is a rash too dont be afraid to seek medical attention again. .

I am aware it is a concern, and I was wondering about viral mengingitis of course, but it certainly is not "rigid", just feels stiff when he moves it and he is a little giddy. He has no rash and says he does feel a little better today. I think I'll hang fire and see how he fares during the day.

The doc we saw at the walk-in said not to worry about trying to bring his fever down as it's the body's way of fighting the bug, and if you lower it then you can slow down the recovery process. (He said it was perfectly OK to keep it between 38-40 degs C!! .... I'd be DEAD! )

Since then my lad's been more reluctant to take paracetamol and I think his temp shot up which was why he can't eat.
I just checked again, and it is just a few points down from this morning, so I think I'll watch and wait.

I hate being a parent.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

I am aware it is a concern, and I was wondering about viral mengingitis of course, but it certainly is not "rigid", just feels stiff when he moves it and he is a little giddy. He has no rash and says he does feel a little better today. I think I'll hang fire and see how he fares during the day.

The doc we saw at the walk-in said not to worry about trying to bring his fever down as it's the body's way of fighting the bug, and if you lower it then you can slow down the recovery process. (He said it was perfectly OK to keep it between 38-40 degs C!! .... I'd be DEAD! )

Since then my lad's been more reluctant to take paracetamol and I think his temp shot up which was why he can't eat.
I just checked again, and it is just a few points down from this morning, so I think I'll watch and wait.

I hate being a parent.
can't offer any advice but hope he gets better soon xx